Updated cygport for for wxwidgets 3.0 package

Updated cygport for for wxwidgets 3.0 package

Hamish MB
Attached is a patch from git format-patch to upgrade the wxwxidgets
version to 3.0.4. Next up I'll try to make a package for wxPython 4, but
I have to get it to build first.

Hamish

0001-Remove-unneeded-patches-and-update-for-wxWidgets-3.0.patch (19K) Download Attachment

Re: Updated cygport for for wxwidgets 3.0 package

Yaakov Selkowitz
On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 16:36 +0000, Hamish MB wrote:
> Attached is a patch from git format-patch to upgrade the wxwxidgets
> version to 3.0.4.

Obviously, I'm not going to accept this patch as is, since it removes
all the modifications I have made to the package.  However, I did go
ahead and update to 3.0.4, which is now working its way to mirrors.

> Next up I'll try to make a package for wxPython 4, but I have to get
> it to build first.

Since this would conflict with the existing python-wx package, either
this needs to be a compatible replacement for 3.0, or the packaging
needs to be modified to be parallel-installable.

Re: Updated cygport for for wxwidgets 3.0 package

Hamish MB
I thought those were patches that were needed in order to get it to
build? They didn't seem to apply when I tried them, so maybe I did it
wrong. Sorry, anyway.

We could have a wxPython 4 build for Python 3 only, and leave the Python
2 version as it is?

Hamish

On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 19:42 +0000, Hamish MB wrote:
> I thought those were patches that were needed in order to get it to
> build? They didn't seem to apply when I tried them, so maybe I did it
> wrong. Sorry, anyway.

Patches have been written, or applied from other sources, for any
number of reasons.  It would be wise to attempt to understand why.

> We could have a wxPython 4 build for Python 3 only, and leave the Python
> 2 version as it is?

I'd be willing to consider that.

On 05/09/2019 22:19, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Patches have been written, or applied from other sources, for any
> number of reasons.  It would be wise to attempt to understand why.

Yes. I'm now rebuilding using your updated cygport file and examining
the patches in order to better understand how it works. I think I must
have gotten confused - I think it was the wxpython patches that can't be
applied any more because the codebase has changed a lot, but I'll
investigate that further. I did hear that some of the patches come from
Gentoo, is that right? As you can tell, I'm very new to using patches
and packaging for Cygwin, and I apologise for my newbie questions.

>> We could have a wxPython 4 build for Python 3 only, and leave the Python
>> 2 version as it is?
> I'd be willing to consider that.

Great, when I get it working, I'll see if I can get the existing patches
to apply and then go from there.

Hamish

On 05/09/2019 17:36, Hamish MB wrote:
> Attached is a patch from git format-patch to upgrade the wxwxidgets
> version to 3.0.4. Next up I'll try to make a package for wxPython 4, but
> I have to get it to build first.

Thanks for attempting this.

Going forward, please consider that this patch does (at least) the
following things:

* Removes existing patches
* Updates the version number
* Adds '-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE' to CPPFLAGS
* Disables the webviewwebkit configuration option
* Removes the tests

It makes it a lot easier for someone to evaluate your patch if you give
reasons for the changes in the patch commentary.

Re: Updated cygport for for wxwidgets 3.0 package

Hamish MB
Yes, I realise now that I should have done that. I apologise if I caused
any irritation or offence.

I guess I might as well provide explanations now for the sake of
completeness, if nothing else.

1: This was a mistake, and I got confused because I was attempting to
build wxPython at the same time, and the patches for that no longer
apply because the build system has changed.

2: This reflects the new version number of wxwidgets - 3.0.4.

3: I needed these in order to build without the patches. I'm not sure
why, but these aren't needed when the patches are used. This is
documented at https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46091

4: That was another mistake, I didn't realise I did that.

5: I looked in the location the tests were meant to be, but they weren't
there, so the test section didn't work. Perhaps this has something to do
with the patches as well?

All that said, I should also have made it clear that I didn't think the
patch was 100% ready - I thought more work was going to be required at
any rate.

Hamish

On 07/09/2019 16:07, Jon Turney wrote:

> On 05/09/2019 17:36, Hamish MB wrote:
>> Attached is a patch from git format-patch to upgrade the wxwxidgets
>> version to 3.0.4. Next up I'll try to make a package for wxPython 4, but
>> I have to get it to build first.
>
> Thanks for attempting this.
>
> Going forward, please consider that this patch does (at least) the
> following things:
>
> * Removes existing patches
> * Updates the version number
> * Adds '-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE' to CPPFLAGS
> * Disables the webviewwebkit configuration option
> * Removes the tests
>
> It makes it a lot easier for someone to evaluate your patch if you
> give reasons for the changes in the patch commentary.

Re: Updated cygport for for wxwidgets 3.0 package

ASSI
Hamish MB writes:
> 3: I needed these in order to build without the patches. I'm not sure
> why, but these aren't needed when the patches are used. This is
> documented at https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46091

It's quite obvious that nobody in that thread has any first-hand
experience with Cygwin and yet they give (mostly bogus as a result of
that) advice.

As with many other projects, upstream often doesn't know about Cygwin at
all, makes assumptions that are outdated by decades or just plain
guesses wrong.  If the project happens to have a native Windows port,
these wrong assumptions are often more widespread, unfortunately.  They
can be in the configury, the Makefiles or the sources themselves, so
getting things right can take a while.  If you need to update a package
you're off to a way better start if you take the existing cygport for
the previous version and then figure out what changes need to apply in
top of that; rather than starting from scratch.  If you are unsure what
a patch does, ask the current maintainer (on this list) rather than just
yanking it.