System Tray

List Recv
Is there a library, or, even better, a command line utility, in cygwin
to place an icon on the system tray?

Would be a great way to do notifications, especially if it supported
those tool tip popups.

Re: System Tray

List Recv
Gary, could you post a few links to some of those libraries?

Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do.  Why?  It's a great way for
unobtrusive, yet noticeable, notifications.  My immediate goal is to
script a little unit test runner in the background, which constantly
runs, and loads a green or red icon in the tray.

But I think being able to do this from shell scripts would be very,
very useful.  How 'bout an icon that pop ups when an incoming email
has the word "URGENT" in it?  That way, you can avoid disrupting your
flow, and not check your email, and still be informed when an urgent
one comes in.  A few lines of shell script, once we'd have this.

Anyone up to code this?

But, yes, my immediate use is for simple continuous integration / test
driven development.

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
There are a few libraries (actually example code, it's not terribly hard -
just hard to do right) to do this, yes.  But I don't quite understand your
question.  It sounds like you want to do something like:

put-an-alert-in-the-system-tray.exe --alert-type=stopsign
--tooltip-text="Emergency!"

Is that right?  I'm kind of missing the point though - what happens if you
click it?  Maybe a "--run-this-app-when-clicked=" param would make something
like this actually useful....

Re: System Tray

Brian Dessent
Lst Recv wrote:

> Gary, could you post a few links to some of those libraries?

Everything you need is documented in the PSDK on MSDN:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/tooltip/usingtooltips.asp>

Brian

Re: System Tray

jreidthompson
Lst Recv wrote:

> Gary, could you post a few links to some of those libraries?
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do.  Why?  It's a great way for
> unobtrusive, yet noticeable, notifications.  My immediate goal is to
> script a little unit test runner in the background, which constantly
> runs, and loads a green or red icon in the tray.
>
> But I think being able to do this from shell scripts would be very,
> very useful.  How 'bout an icon that pop ups when an incoming email
> has the word "URGENT" in it?  That way, you can avoid disrupting your
> flow, and not check your email, and still be informed when an urgent
> one comes in.  A few lines of shell script, once we'd have this.
>
> Anyone up to code this?
>
> But, yes, my immediate use is for simple continuous integration / test
> driven development.
>

> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> There are a few libraries (actually example code, it's not terribly hard -
> just hard to do right) to do this, yes.  But I don't quite understand your
> question.  It sounds like you want to do something like:
>
> put-an-alert-in-the-system-tray.exe --alert-type=stopsign
> --tooltip-text="Emergency!"
>
> Is that right?  I'm kind of missing the point though - what happens if you
> click it?  Maybe a "--run-this-app-when-clicked=" param would make something
> like this actually useful....

this page may be of interest also

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_programming/taskbar.asp

scroll down to "Using the Taskbar", near the bottom of the page

Re: System Tray

J. David Boyd-2
Brian Dessent <[hidden email]> writes:

> Lst Recv wrote:
>
>> Gary, could you post a few links to some of those libraries?
>
> Everything you need is documented in the PSDK on MSDN:
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/tooltip/usingtooltips.asp>
>
> Brian

This is for tooltips, not the system tray...

Re: System Tray

Brian Dessent
"J. David Boyd" wrote:

> This is for tooltips, not the system tray...

The poster was asking how to put an XP-style notification in the system
tray, which is described precisely in the section "Balloon ToolTips for
Status Bar Icons" about 3/4 down the page.

Brian

Re: System Tray

J. David Boyd-2
Brian Dessent <[hidden email]> writes:

> "J. David Boyd" wrote:
>
>> This is for tooltips, not the system tray...
>
> The poster was asking how to put an XP-style notification in the system
> tray, which is described precisely in the section "Balloon ToolTips for
> Status Bar Icons" about 3/4 down the page.
>
> Brian

Oops, sorry.  Didn't notice that when I skimmed the article.  My apologies.

Dave