Starting with Cygwin NFS Server

Alex Vinokur
I have downloaded and installed Cygwin NFS Server.
What should I begin from to start to work with Cygwin NFS Server on Windows 2000/XP?

I read /usr/share/doc/nfs-server-2.3/README, but I would like to get more specific information about needed stages of working with
that NFS Server.

--
 Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

RE: Starting with Cygwin NFS Server

Sam Robb
> I have downloaded and installed Cygwin NFS Server.
> What should I begin from to start to work with Cygwin NFS
> Server on Windows 2000/XP?
>
> I read /usr/share/doc/nfs-server-2.3/README, but I would like
> to get more specific information about needed stages of working with
> that NFS Server.

Alex,

  The doc you mentioned above is the README for the original
nfs-server package.  There is a cygwin-specific README for
the nfs-server package as well, under:

  /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/nfs-server-2.3-3.README

  This may help answer some of your questions.

  If you are trying to get the nfs-server set up on a machine,
then you may want to run (or examine) the nfs-server-config
script (which should have been installed under /usr/bin).

-Samrobb

Re: Starting with Cygwin NFS Server

Alex Vinokur

"Robb, Sam" wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
[snip]

> The doc you mentioned above is the README for the original
> nfs-server package.  There is a cygwin-specific README for
> the nfs-server package as well, under:

>  /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/nfs-server-2.3-3.README

[snip]

Thanks.

Perhaps the foloowing question is off-topic.

------------------------------

NFS Client runs on UNIX.
Cygwin NFS Server runs on Windows.

How to specify the device (Windows-directory/folder) to be mounted on
mount point (UNIX-directory)?

The problem is how to set the pathname of the exported file system on
Windows NFS Server.

For UNIX NFS Server the pathname might be set as it follows
<IP address of UNIX machine>:/dir1/dir2

For instance, Windows machine contains folder C:\folder1\folder2 that
is to be exported.
How to set the pathname? What to do with "C:"?

Should
<IP address of UNIX machine>:C:\folder1\folder2
work?

--
 Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

RE: Starting with Cygwin NFS Server

Sam Robb
> > The doc you mentioned above is the README for the original
> > nfs-server package.  There is a cygwin-specific README for
> > the nfs-server package as well, under:
>
> >  /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/nfs-server-2.3-3.README
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks.
>
> Perhaps the foloowing question is off-topic.

Not quite, I don't think...

> NFS Client runs on UNIX.
> Cygwin NFS Server runs on Windows.
>

> How to specify the device (Windows-directory/folder) to be mounted on
> mount point (UNIX-directory)?
>

> The problem is how to set the pathname of the exported file system on
> Windows NFS Server.
>

> For UNIX NFS Server the pathname might be set as it follows
> <IP address of UNIX machine>:/dir1/dir2
>

> For instance, Windows machine contains folder C:\folder1\folder2 that
> is to be exported.
> How to set the pathname? What to do with "C:"?
>

> Should
> <IP address of UNIX machine>:C:\folder1\folder2
> work?

No - the nfs-server is a cygwin service, and so works with cygwin
paths.  As a quick example, let's say you want to export two
directories, public and private:

  C:\exports\public
  C:\exports\private

You can use the cygpath utility to translate the Windows paths
into cygwin paths:

  $ cygpath -u 'C:\exports\public'
  /cygdrive/c/exports/public

  $ cygpath -u 'C:\exports\private'
  /cygdrive/c/exports/private

Now, you can edit your /etc/exports file to export these two
directories:

  /cygdrive/c/exports/public     192.168.1.100(ro map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map)
  /cygdrive/c/exports/private    192.168.1.100(rw map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map)

After this, you can start the portmap, mountd, and nfsd.  On
the UNIX machine, you would mount the directories as usual, ex:

  $ mount -t nfs <IP address of cygwin machine>:/cygdrive/c/exports/public /mnt/nfs/public
  $ mount -t nfs <IP address of cygwin machine>:/cygdrive/c/exports/private /mnt/nfs/private

Simple as pi :-/

Note that there are potential issues with exporting a regular old
Windows directory (ex, the '/cygdrive/c/...' type paths).  Please
read the docs for some additional info on this.  If you can arrange
your exports so that they are from under the cygwin root directory,
ex:

  mkdir -p /exports/public
  mkdir -p /exports/private

... then everything is a little easier.  In this case, aside from
avoiding potnetial problems, your /etc/exports look a little cleaner:

  /exports/public     192.168.1.100(ro map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map)
  /exports/private    192.168.1.100(rw map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map)

... and the client mount commands are a little less verbose:

  $ mount -t nfs <IP address of cygwin machine>:/exports/public /mnt/nfs/public
  $ mount -t nfs <IP address of cygwin machine>:/exports/private /mnt/nfs/private

Hope that helps,

-Samrobb