Setup mirrors

Ray Sabee
Dear Sir/Madam,

As an enthusiastic user of your software for many years, we would like to do
something in return.

We are very fond of the open source model and we would like to contribute to
this great project.

We have a lot of servers and per request on your website, we would like to
make one of more servers available for mirroring the packages.

I would love to know how we can set this up and it would be great if you can
provide me with some sort of manual or wiki page.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Ray Sabee

Re: Setup mirrors

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Ray Sabee!

> As an enthusiastic user of your software for many years, we would like to do
> something in return.

> We are very fond of the open source model and we would like to contribute to
> this great project.

> We have a lot of servers and per request on your website, we would like to
> make one of more servers available for mirroring the packages.

> I would love to know how we can set this up and it would be great if you can
> provide me with some sort of manual or wiki page.

Did you search the most obvious place for information?
https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

RE: Setup mirrors

Ray Sabee
Thank you!

Met vriendelijke groet,
Ray Sabee

> As an enthusiastic user of your software for many years, we would like
> to do something in return.

> We are very fond of the open source model and we would like to
> contribute to this great project.

> We have a lot of servers and per request on your website, we would
> like to make one of more servers available for mirroring the packages.

> I would love to know how we can set this up and it would be great if
> you can provide me with some sort of manual or wiki page.

Did you search the most obvious place for information?
https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Monday, March 9, 2020 6:13:53

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Setup mirrors

Robert McBroom
On 3/8/20 11:14 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Ray Sabee!
>
>> As an enthusiastic user of your software for many years, we would like to do
>> something in return.
>> We are very fond of the open source model and we would like to contribute to
>> this great project.
>> We have a lot of servers and per request on your website, we would like to
>> make one of more servers available for mirroring the packages.
>> I would love to know how we can set this up and it would be great if you can
>> provide me with some sort of manual or wiki page.
> Did you search the most obvious place for information?
> https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

That is the list of mirrors not a howto on becoming a mirror

Re: Setup mirrors

Bill Stewart
On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 4:09 PM Robert McBroom wrote:

> > Did you search the most obvious place for information?
> > https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
> >
> That is the list of mirrors not a howto on becoming a mirror

That page formerly had a blurb at the bottom on how to become a
mirror. This should be viewable by looking at a cached version of the
page.

Google search "how to become a cygwin mirror" and you will see that
the /mirrors.html page is the top hit.

Choose to view a cached version of that page.

Bill
"--Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.htmlFAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.htmlUnsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple"

Re: Setup mirrors

Andrey Repin
Greetings, Robert McBroom!

> On 3/8/20 11:14 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Ray Sabee!
>>
>>> As an enthusiastic user of your software for many years, we would like to do
>>> something in return.
>>> We are very fond of the open source model and we would like to contribute to
>>> this great project.
>>> We have a lot of servers and per request on your website, we would like to
>>> make one of more servers available for mirroring the packages.
>>> I would love to know how we can set this up and it would be great if you can
>>> provide me with some sort of manual or wiki page.
>> Did you search the most obvious place for information?
>> https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
>>

> That is the list of mirrors not a howto on becoming a mirror

The text was there prior to recent website downtime.
Since then, a number of things gone wrong, including mailing list signature.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Setup mirrors

Jon TURNEY
On 09/03/2020 23:11, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Robert McBroom!
>
>> On 3/8/20 11:14 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> Greetings, Ray Sabee!

>>> Did you search the most obvious place for information?
>>> https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
>>>

>> That is the list of mirrors not a howto on becoming a mirror
>
> The text was there prior to recent website downtime.

The text disappeared due to me just being a fumble-fingered klutz when
testing the mirror checking script on the new hardware.

Anyhow, I've put that page back the way it should be.

Thanks for letting us know.

> Since then, a number of things gone wrong, including mailing list signature.

We have Top Men working on it, right now.

Re: Setup mirrors

Christopher Faylor-8
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 11:34:27PM +0000, Jon Turney wrote:
>>Since then, a number of things gone wrong, including mailing list signature.
>
>We have Top Men working on it, right now.

Huh?  Wha?

Re: Setup mirrors

On 2020-03-09 17:11, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Robert McBroom!
>
>> On 3/8/20 11:14 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> Greetings, Ray Sabee!

>>> Did you search the most obvious place for information?
>>> https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html
>>>

>> That is the list of mirrors not a howto on becoming a mirror
>
> The text was there prior to recent website downtime.
> Since then, a number of things gone wrong, including mailing list signature.

Now back to normal:

        https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html#mirroradmin

Re: Setup mirrors

david-28
At 01:35 PM 3/10/2020, you wrote:

>On 2020-03-09 17:11, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, Robert McBroom!

> would like to do
> contribute to
> would like to
> great if you can
> >>>

> >> That is the list of mirrors not a howto on becoming a mirror
> >
> > The text was there prior to recent website downtime.
> > Since then, a number of things gone wrong, including mailing list
> signature.
>
>Now back to normal:
>
>         https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html#mirroradmin

Gosh, I detect no change in the information.  The advice on how to
set up a mirror is:

Please do not send questions asking how to set up a mirror. We don't
provide technical support for setting up mirrors. Sorry.

I fear the original mail is still unanswered, unless I'm missing
something obvious.  The page advertises:
Last updated: 2020-03-10 18:31 UTC; Mirror size: 152G

David

Re: Setup mirrors

Brian Inglis
On 2020-03-10 14:44, david wrote:

> At 01:35 PM 3/10/2020, you wrote:
>> On 2020-03-09 17:11, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> > Greetings, Robert McBroom!

>> > The text was there prior to recent website downtime.
>> > Since then, a number of things gone wrong, including mailing list signature.
>>
>> Now back to normal:
>>
>>         https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html#mirroradmin

> Gosh, I detect no change in the information.  The advice on how to set up a
> mirror is:
>
> Please do not send questions asking how to set up a mirror. We don't provide
> technical support for setting up mirrors. Sorry.
>
> I fear the original mail is still unanswered, unless I'm missing something
> obvious.  The page advertises:
> Last updated: 2020-03-10 18:31 UTC; Mirror size: 152G

If you don't see a big box below that with a large reddish headline reading:

        Mirror Administrators: Read This!

you need to clear any cached pages for the site or your browser.

Re: Setup mirrors

david-28
At 02:18 PM 3/10/2020, you wrote:

>On 2020-03-10 14:44, david wrote:

> software for many years, we would like to do
> model and we would like to contribute to
> request on your website, we would like to
> this up and it would be great if you can

> including mailing list signature.
> >>
> >> Now back to normal:
> >>
> >> Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html#mirroradmin
>
> > Gosh, I detect no change in the
> information.  The advice on how to set up a
> > mirror is:
> >
> > Please do not send questions asking how to
> set up a mirror. We don't provide
> > technical support for setting up mirrors. Sorry.
> >
> > I fear the original mail is still unanswered, unless I'm missing something
> > obvious.  The page advertises:
> > Last updated: 2020-03-10 18:31 UTC; Mirror size: 152G
>
>If you don't see a big box below that with a large reddish headline reading:
>
>         Mirror Administrators: Read This!
>
>you need to clear any cached pages for the site or your browser.
>
>-

I do see the Mirror Administrators: Read This!
box.  In it is the "please do not send" command,
and other comments, but no answer to "how to
setup".  Is the "last modified" date I posted
incorrect?  After clearing the cache, I still get the 2020-03-10 18:31 page.

David

Re: Setup mirrors

Cygwin list mailing list
Greetings, david!

> I do see the Mirror Administrators: Read This!
> box.  In it is the "please do not send" command,
> and other comments, but no answer to "how to
> setup".

The very first phrase telling you, where to actually send emails.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

On 2020-03-10 16:45, Andrey Repin via Cygwin wrote:
>> I do see the Mirror Administrators: Read This! box.  In it is the "please
>> do not send" command, and other comments, but no answer to "how to setup".

> The very first phrase telling you, where to actually send emails.

>>> If you would like to be added to this list of available mirrors then
>>> send email to sourcemaster at this site. sourcemaster is a mailing list
>>> on this site. You really can send email to it. However, when you send
>>> your mesage, remember that this site does not accept html-formatted
>>> email.

All the information you should need is in the previous and next paragraphs:

"When asking to be added, please provide contact information, the URL of the
mirror, and location of the mirror. Location should be provided similarly to
what is listed in the site list. Make sure that your mirror rsyncs directly from
cygwin.com at least twice a day. If your mirror site has up-to-date content,
once it is added, it will show up here automatically.

Please do not send questions asking how to set up a mirror. We don't provide
technical support for setting up mirrors. Sorry."

so if you can not understand those, you should investigate how to do so, or
delegate setting up and operating a mirror to someone else who can understand
those technical details, as the Cygwin project can not support mirror
administrators local infrastructure operations.

Those instructions, once pointed out and visible, were adequate for the OP.