Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?

Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?

Bill Stewart
I would like to reinstall a set of packages and automatically install the
source for only those packages.

The packages are currently installed, and I am using a Setup command line
like this:

<setup> -I -P "package1,package2,package3"

The description in --help for -I states "Automatically install source for
every package installed".

It would seem that, in this case, since the named packages are already
installed and up-to-date, the -I option does nothing.

Is my analysis correct?

If so, what is the way to automate source download for a set of packages
that are already installed?

Bill

Re: Setup: How to automate source download for packages already installed?

Jon TURNEY
On 02/03/2020 18:06, Bill Stewart wrote:

> I would like to reinstall a set of packages and automatically install the
> source for only those packages.
>
> The packages are currently installed, and I am using a Setup command line
> like this:
>
> <setup> -I -P "package1,package2,package3"
>
> The description in --help for -I states "Automatically install source for
> every package installed".
>
> It would seem that, in this case, since the named packages are already
> installed and up-to-date, the -I option does nothing.
>
> Is my analysis correct?

This is correct.

> If so, what is the way to automate source download for a set of packages
> that are already installed?

If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
"package1,package2,package3"'

An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
package might be useful.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Jon Turney wrote:

> If a package is listed for both -x and -P, it is reinstalled, so while
> not ideal, you might be able to achieve something like what you want
> with 'setup -I -x "package1,package2,package3" -P
> "package1,package2,package3"'

This does what I need. Thank you!

> An option which explicitly just installs the source for a specified
> package might be useful.

Agreed. Perhaps this could get added to a new iteration of the setup
tool. But combining -I, -x, and -P are a useful workaround.

Thanks!

Bill