Quantcast

Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

12

Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

Martin.Fitzpatrick
Hi,

I have just completed a cygwin install, which seemed to take an
extraordinary length of time, so I started googling and found the article
"Setup 1.7.11 texlive postinstall takes 6+ hours". Ken Brown's response to
that post was hopeful, but may have underestimated the scope of the
problem, putting it down to "something else going on with your system,
maybe having to do with your VM." My installation was on a laptop, not a
VM, and while I wouldn't claim that it's a powerful machine, I'm still
very surprised at the install time. I also think it remarkable that most
(something like 90%) of the install time was spent in the texlive
postinstall phase; so in other words, most of the install ran at an
acceptable speed (~16 mins to get to the start of the postinstall phase-
not too bad for a slow laptop) but the first texlive task
("/etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh") then took 25 mins- more
than the rest of the install up to that point.

So, I would say to Ken Brown- "Keep up the good work"- but please consider
raising its priority! At the time of writing you had fixed 29 postinstall
scripts and there were 45 remaining. Some users are being hit very hard by
this and in fact I aborted the install several times before I realized
that it wasn't hanging completely and that the postfix to the
"/etc/postinstall/texlive-..." message in the install window was actually
changing from time to time- it was that slow! I can send the
setup.log.full if you want to see the timestamps for yourself.

Regards,
Martin.

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Martin.Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just completed a cygwin install, which seemed to take an
> extraordinary length of time, so I started googling and found the article

If you do the same with the anti-virus disabled does it change the
length of time?

--
Earnie

RE: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

Adam Dinwoodie
Martin.Fitzpatrick@... wrote:
> This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

Martin, per <http://sourceware.org/lists.html#disclaimer-bounce>, disclaimers
like this aren't appropriate for a public mailing list. Emails to this list
are seen by a very wide number of people and are publicly archived online
indefinitely.

Overseers, as requested, have a disclaimer that seems to have slipped through
the filter.

On 8/23/2012 6:03 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just completed a cygwin install, which seemed to take an
> extraordinary length of time, so I started googling and found the article
> "Setup 1.7.11 texlive postinstall takes 6+ hours". Ken Brown's response to
> that post was hopeful, but may have underestimated the scope of the
> problem, putting it down to "something else going on with your system,
> maybe having to do with your VM." My installation was on a laptop, not a
> VM, and while I wouldn't claim that it's a powerful machine, I'm still
> very surprised at the install time. I also think it remarkable that most
> (something like 90%) of the install time was spent in the texlive
> postinstall phase; so in other words, most of the install ran at an
> acceptable speed (~16 mins to get to the start of the postinstall phase-
> not too bad for a slow laptop) but the first texlive task
> ("/etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh") then took 25 mins- more
> than the rest of the install up to that point.
>
> So, I would say to Ken Brown- "Keep up the good work"- but please consider
> raising its priority! At the time of writing you had fixed 29 postinstall

There is definitely some inefficiency in the postinstall scripts when
many texlive-collection-* packages are installed at once.  I'm working
on finding a better way of doing it.  See the thread starting at

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2012-08/msg00001.html

> scripts and there were 45 remaining. Some users are being hit very hard by
> this and in fact I aborted the install several times before I realized
> that it wasn't hanging completely and that the postfix to the
> "/etc/postinstall/texlive-..." message in the install window was actually
> changing from time to time- it was that slow! I can send the
> setup.log.full if you want to see the timestamps for yourself.

Yes, I would like to see setup.log.full.  If it's huge, you can send it
off list, or just post it somewhere for me to download.

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

Ken Brown-6
On 8/23/2012 7:35 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just completed a cygwin install, which seemed to take an
>> extraordinary length of time, so I started googling and found the article
>> "Setup 1.7.11 texlive postinstall takes 6+ hours". Ken Brown's
>> response to
>> that post was hopeful, but may have underestimated the scope of the
>> problem, putting it down to "something else going on with your system,
>> maybe having to do with your VM." My installation was on a laptop, not a
>> VM, and while I wouldn't claim that it's a powerful machine, I'm still
>> very surprised at the install time. I also think it remarkable that most
>> (something like 90%) of the install time was spent in the texlive
>> postinstall phase; so in other words, most of the install ran at an
>> acceptable speed (~16 mins to get to the start of the postinstall phase-
>> not too bad for a slow laptop) but the first texlive task
>> ("/etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh") then took 25 mins- more
>> than the rest of the install up to that point.
>>
>> So, I would say to Ken Brown- "Keep up the good work"- but please
>> consider
>> raising its priority! At the time of writing you had fixed 29 postinstall
>
> There is definitely some inefficiency in the postinstall scripts when
> many texlive-collection-* packages are installed at once.  I'm working
> on finding a better way of doing it.  See the thread starting at
>
>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2012-08/msg00001.html
>
>> scripts and there were 45 remaining. Some users are being hit very
>> hard by
>> this and in fact I aborted the install several times before I realized
>> that it wasn't hanging completely and that the postfix to the
>> "/etc/postinstall/texlive-..." message in the install window was actually
>> changing from time to time- it was that slow! I can send the
>> setup.log.full if you want to see the timestamps for yourself.
>
> Yes, I would like to see setup.log.full.  If it's huge, you can send it
> off list, or just post it somewhere for me to download.
Thanks for sending me your setup.log.full.  I've extracted the timing
information for the texlive-collection-* postinstall scripts (see the
attached).  I saw 5 postinstall scripts that took inordinately long
(marked with ***):

texlive-collection-fontsextra.sh
texlive-collection-fontsrecommended.sh
texlive-collection-formatsextra.sh
texlive-collection-htmlxml.sh
texlive-collection-langcjk.sh

I don't see anything in those scripts that would explain this.  I just
ran them manually on my system, and the times (in minutes) were  14, 3,
2.5, 2.5, and 7.  So I can't think of any explanation except that
something on your system (anti-virus or other BLODA?) was interfering.

setup.log.full (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

Achim Gratz
Ken Brown writes:
> I don't see anything in those scripts that would explain this.  I just
> ran them manually on my system, and the times (in minutes) were  14,
> 3, 2.5, 2.5, and 7.  So I can't think of any explanation except that
> something on your system (anti-virus or other BLODA?) was interfering.

IIRC, most of the time (wallclock, it really doesn't use much CPU) in
these scripts is taken up by kpsewhich (there is a short phase of disk
activity at the beginning that corresponds to building of the ls-lR
database).  I've never observed it taking _this_ long however, so I
suspect that kpsewhich had/has forking problems on the OPs' system.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

steverino2
This problem occurs on a fast laptop upgrade from prior cygwin install.

I've been a user and beneficiary of cygwin for years, so please keep it coming.
But in this case the default for publishing/texlive/anything should be SKIP
the install is insanely long and I too thought at first the install was hang.
honestly I don't know anyone who uses texlive but thats just because
we use cygwin for command line builds with make/gcc

please consider fixing this soon so others don't accidentally stumble across this problem

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

toddcs
This post was updated on .
I, too, am now experiencing this texlive problem during Cygwin update, in which I am trying to install Asymptote for the first time. I am on a late-model laptop with up-to-date anti-virus software. I do not experience such extreme bottlenecks at all in other contexts.  I should add that as a long-time Unix/Linux developer, I am also an avid Cygwin user of many years, and I find the platform to be of consistently high quality and a joy to use.  I hope this issue can be resolved soon.

On 1/28/2013 11:41 AM, toddcs wrote:
> I, too, am now experiencing this texlive problem during Cygwin update, in
> which I am trying to install Asymptote for the first time. I am on a
> late-model laptop with up-to-date anti-virus software. I do not experience
> such extreme bottlenecks at all in other contexts.

How about supplying some details?  There should be information in
/var/log/setup.log and /var/log/setup.log.full that would tell you where
the delays were and, perhaps, why.

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

jeremycraven
I am just reinstalling cygwin on a fresh install of XP on a rather old laptop with Avast as virus software.

It is absolutely crawling at the texlive postinstallation stage - stuck showing 24-25% for at least half an hour now. I was about to give up but googled "cygwin install hangs texlive-collection" and was surprised to actually hit something so will leave it to run over night.

There is no /var/log/setup.log etc that I can see yet ( only an empty file setup.log.postinstallXa03208 in C:\cygwin\var\log).

I can confirm kpsewhich.exe is taking most of the CPU.

Jeremy

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

marco atzeri-4
On 2/5/2013 4:48 PM, jeremycraven wrote:

> I am just reinstalling cygwin on a fresh install of XP on a rather old laptop
> with Avast as virus software.
>
> It is absolutely crawling at the texlive postinstallation stage - stuck
> showing 24-25% for at least half an hour now. I was about to give up but
> googled "cygwin install hangs texlive-collection" and was surprised to
> actually hit something so will leave it to run over night.

> There is no /var/log/setup.log etc that I can see yet ( only an empty file
> setup.log.postinstallXa03208 in C:\cygwin\var\log).
>
> I can confirm kpsewhich.exe is taking most of the CPU.
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
just for curiosity, how many texlive-collections did you select for
installation ?

On 2/5/2013 10:48 AM, jeremycraven wrote:
> I am just reinstalling cygwin on a fresh install of XP on a rather old laptop
> with Avast as virus software.
>
> It is absolutely crawling at the texlive postinstallation stage - stuck
> showing 24-25% for at least half an hour now. I was about to give up but
> googled "cygwin install hangs texlive-collection" and was surprised to
> actually hit something so will leave it to run over night.

The texlive-collection-* postinstall scripts have to do a lot of work,
and it takes time.  You didn't say which of these packages you've
installed.  There are almost 100 of them, and most TeX users only need a
few.  See the announcement at

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-07/msg00013.html

for some advice.

> There is no /var/log/setup.log etc that I can see yet ( only an empty file
> setup.log.postinstallXa03208 in C:\cygwin\var\log).

The log files will be available when setup.exe finishes.  Please look at
them and see if there's anything interesting to report.

> I can confirm kpsewhich.exe is taking most of the CPU.

Not surprising.

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

jeremycraven

I did not change anything in the "Publishing" section, so all were at default, unless one of my other choices chnaged them due to dependencies (see end of this post as well). Elsewhere as far as I remember I added all of X11, python, and editors, rxvt , tcsh shell, and Imagemagick. Of those the only mildly suspicious one is the tex wysiwyg editor.

I seem to have ended up with your "standard" install (according to the texlive advice that you pointed me to) when I look at the things in publishing marked "KEEP" and referring to "texlive" (e.g. have the ...latexrecommended one). (Is there any other way to know what non standard items one chose in the future?).

The key timings in the full log file are:
13:23 started whole process
15:00 postinstall started
15:12-15:56 texlive things
16:08-16:56 more texlive things
17:00 finished

so I make it 90 mins out of 210 mins were texlive.

Maybe that is as it should be, but is this what would happen if I had not touched the "default" install settings?

I think like others, I nearly lost faith that my computer was still working - it was only because I knew cygwin was so valuable to me that I persevered. In a first time try I might well have given up.

(The upside of this is I can try and see if this latex install copes on a file someone sent me where my ubuntu one failed!)

I notice the following lines near the top of the log files:

2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-basic: Selecting version 20120628-2 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-documentation-base: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-fontsextra: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-fontsrecommended: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-fontutils: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-genericrecommended: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-htmlxml: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-latex: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-latexextra: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-latexrecommended: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-pictures: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-science: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-texinfo: Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.

I don't know if that indicates extra dependencies beyond the default, and if so I wonder what triggered them.

I can send you the log files if you suggest where best to send them.

Cheers

Jeremy

On 2/6/2013 4:52 AM, jeremycraven wrote:

> I did not change anything in the "Publishing" section, so all were at
> default, unless one of my other choices chnaged them due to dependencies

Nothing from TeX Live is installed by default.  So everything you
installed came from dependencies.

> (see end of this post as well). Elsewhere as far as I remember I added all
> of X11, python, and editors, rxvt , tcsh shell, and Imagemagick. Of those
> the only mildly suspicious one is the tex wysiwyg editor.

I assume you're talking about lyx.  Take a look at the setup.ini file in
your Cygwin download directory, and you'll see that lyx requires quite a
few texlive-collection-* packages.  It probably shouldn't require so
many, but this was a decision made by the lyx maintainer (who just
resigned as maintainer).

> I seem to have ended up with your "standard" install (according to the
> texlive advice that you pointed me to) when I look at the things in
> publishing marked "KEEP" and referring to "texlive" (e.g. have the
> ...latexrecommended one). (Is there any other way to know what non standard
> items one chose in the future?).

After you select packages and click "Next", setup.exe will pop up a
dialogue box warning you if there are dependencies that you need to
install.  For each one, it will tell you which package(s) it depends on.

> The key timings in the full log file are:
> 13:23 started whole process
> 15:00 postinstall started
> 15:12-15:56 texlive things
> 16:08-16:56 more texlive things
> 17:00 finished
>
> so I make it 90 mins out of 210 mins were texlive.
>
> Maybe that is as it should be, but is this what would happen if I had not
> touched the "default" install settings?

No, it would have been much faster.  For one thing, you wouldn't have
installed anything from TeX Live.

> I think like others, I nearly lost faith that my computer was still working
> - it was only because I knew cygwin was so valuable to me that I persevered.
> In a first time try I might well have given up.

A user installing Cygwin for the first time would be well advised to
start by accepting all the defaults.

> (The upside of this is I can try and see if this latex install copes on a
> file someone sent me where my ubuntu one failed!)
>
> I notice the following lines near the top of the log files:
>
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive: Selecting version
> 20120628-1 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-basic:
> Selecting version 20120628-2 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency
> texlive-collection-documentation-base: Selecting version 20120628-1 for
> installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency
> texlive-collection-fontsextra: Selecting version 20120628-1 for
> installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency
> texlive-collection-fontsrecommended: Selecting version 20120628-1 for
> installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-fontutils:
> Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency
> texlive-collection-genericrecommended: Selecting version 20120628-1 for
> installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-htmlxml:
> Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-latex:
> Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency
> texlive-collection-latexextra: Selecting version 20120628-1 for
> installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency
> texlive-collection-latexrecommended: Selecting version 20120628-1 for
> installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-pictures:
> Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-science:
> Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
> 2013/02/05 13:27:23 Adding required dependency texlive-collection-texinfo:
> Selecting version 20120628-1 for installation.
>
> I don't know if that indicates extra dependencies beyond the default, and if
> so I wonder what triggered them.

Most or all of these were triggered by lyx.

> I can send you the log files if you suggest where best to send them.

I don't need to see them unless there are error messages involving
texlive postinstall scripts.

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

leftwing
I'm experiencing this problem right now, about 2 years after earlier discussion. I didn't choose this package - it was installed as a dependency for curl development. The post install processes have been running for hours and hours ...

On 7/20/2014 10:00 AM, leftwing wrote:
> I'm experiencing this problem right now, about 2 years after earlier
> discussion.  I didn't choose this package - it was installed as a dependency
> for curl development.  The post install processes have been running for
> hours and hours ...

Please make a self-contained report, with complete details.  And please
check more carefully to see what's pulling in texlive.  I don't think
it's curl.  Maybe you have some obsolete packages installed that are
causing this.  (Uncheck the "Hide obsolete packages" box when you run
setup.)

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours

Don MacDougall
I downloaded Setup.exe version 2.850 (32 bit) on Oct 18, 2014 and used it to install cygwin from scratch on an Asus Eee notebook with Atom N455 cpu.  I tried to install only the default packages but it seems like that took about 8 hours to download overnight.  The install went okay until it came to the /etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh which seemed to hang for at least 12 hours.  Thinking it was hung I canceled the install, but then I found this longish thread going back several years, so I restarted the install and let it run for at least 24 hours and see no more happening.  It sits the whole time on this script.  The "Total:" line shows 99% done and the "Package:" line shows zero progress the whole time.

Is there a way to install Cygwin without installing this package, which seems to have been included in the default selection?

Now that I seem to have it included can I take it out without breaking something that is too important to do without?  When I restarted the install everything said "default" and I didn't change anything.

Since it doesn't ever finish I don't see any log file, or indeed, ever a log directory.

Thank you,
Don MacDougall

On 10/20/2014 6:38 PM, Don MacDougall wrote:

> I downloaded Setup.exe version 2.850 (32 bit) on Oct 18, 2014 and used it to
> install cygwin from scratch on an Asus Eee notebook with Atom N455 cpu.  I
> tried to install only the default packages but it seems like that took about
> 8 hours to download overnight.  The install went okay until it came to the
> /etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh which seemed to hang for at
> least 12 hours.  Thinking it was hung I canceled the install, but then I
> found this longish thread going back several years, so I restarted the
> install and let it run for at least 24 hours and see no more happening.  It
> sits the whole time on this script.  The "Total:" line shows 99% done and
> the "Package:" line shows zero progress the whole time.
>
> Is there a way to install Cygwin without installing this package, which
> seems to have been included in the default selection?

I don't know what happened, but you must have inadvertently selected
some packages to install that you didn't intend to choose.  There are no
texlive packages in a default installation.

On 10/20/2014 10:09 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 6:38 PM, Don MacDougall wrote:
>> I downloaded Setup.exe version 2.850 (32 bit) on Oct 18, 2014 and used
>> it to
>> install cygwin from scratch on an Asus Eee notebook with Atom N455
>> cpu.  I
>> tried to install only the default packages but it seems like that took
>> about
>> 8 hours to download overnight.  The install went okay until it came to
>> the
>> /etc/postinstall/texlive-collection-basic.sh which seemed to hang for at
>> least 12 hours.  Thinking it was hung I canceled the install, but then I
>> found this longish thread going back several years, so I restarted the
>> install and let it run for at least 24 hours and see no more
>> happening.  It
>> sits the whole time on this script.  The "Total:" line shows 99% done and
>> the "Package:" line shows zero progress the whole time.
>>
>> Is there a way to install Cygwin without installing this package, which
>> seems to have been included in the default selection?
>
> I don't know what happened, but you must have inadvertently selected
> some packages to install that you didn't intend to choose.  There are no
> texlive packages in a default installation.

Did you by any chance click on the word "Default" near the top of the
screen?  If so, it would have changed to "Install", which means you've
chosen to install everything.

Re: Setup 2.774 texlive postinstall takes 10+ hours (resending due to cygwin bounce)

Don MacDougall
If I changed it away from "default" was accidental.  I did look through the list of packages to be installed and it looked like quite a list and all binary packages were checked but not the source packages.  But, since the first time I have looked when I restarted the installation and it said "default" and I didn't change it.  If it was accidentally changed the first time, would it then say "all" when I restart the installation?  If so, then I know it says "default" when  I restarted it.

Don

12