Registry keys not only accessible when user

Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Hello,

I'm trying to compile LibreOffice on Windows but configuration tool search some keys on /proc/registry/HKLM which appear only if I launch Cygwin with Admin rights. (Visual Studio/VCExpress keys).

How to workaround launching Cygwin with admin rights and still access these registry keys?

Julien

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

Larry Hall (Cygwin)
On 10/9/2012 2:37 PM, julien2412 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile LibreOffice on Windows but configuration tool search
> some keys on /proc/registry/HKLM which appear only if I launch Cygwin with
> Admin rights. (Visual Studio/VCExpress keys).
>
> How to workaround launching Cygwin with admin rights and still access these
> registry keys?

Windows won't let programs run by unprivileged users manipulate this
registry hive.  If you only need read access, you will need to change the
configuration tool to drop the permissions it does not need.  If you do
that, then what you're doing should work.  Note that this isn't Cygwin-
specific.  You'd see this same issue even if you removed Cygwin from the
equation.

--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote
On 10/9/2012 2:37 PM, julien2412 wrote:
> How to workaround launching Cygwin with admin rights and still access these
> registry keys?
Windows won't let programs run by unprivileged users manipulate this
registry hive.  If you only need read access, you will need to change the
configuration tool to drop the permissions it does not need.  If you do
that, then what you're doing should work.  Note that this isn't Cygwin-
specific.  You'd see this same issue even if you removed Cygwin from the
equation.
Sorry for having talked about the configuration tool, it's misleading here.

In Cygwin, if I just test "ls /proc/reg*", it shows there are "/proc/registry", "/proc/registry32" and "/proc/registry64"

Now if I just run an ls /proc/registry/<abbreviated HKLM>/SOFTWARE/Microsoft, I can see the registry keys I quoted only if I launch Cygwin with admin rights.

Anyway, I noticed that with regtool, everything was ok.
Is "regtool" the recommanded way to access (in read only) registry keys? And so we should avoid to run things like this Perl script line:
open($fhandle, "/proc/registry/$key") )

Julien
PS:
"uname -rs" gives "CYGWIN_NT_6.0 1.7.16 (0.262/5/3)"

On 10/9/2012 4:51 PM, julien2412 wrote:

> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote
>> On 10/9/2012 2:37 PM, julien2412 wrote:
>>> How to workaround launching Cygwin with admin rights and still access
>>> these
>>> registry keys?
>> Windows won't let programs run by unprivileged users manipulate this
>> registry hive.  If you only need read access, you will need to change the
>> configuration tool to drop the permissions it does not need.  If you do
>> that, then what you're doing should work.  Note that this isn't Cygwin-
>> specific.  You'd see this same issue even if you removed Cygwin from the
>> equation.
>
> Sorry for having talked about the configuration tool, it's misleading here.
>
> In Cygwin, if I just test "ls /proc/reg*", it shows there are
> "/proc/registry", "/proc/registry32" and "/proc/registry64"
>
> Now if I just run an ls /proc/registry/<abbreviated
> HKLM>/SOFTWARE/Microsoft, I can see the registry keys I quoted only if I
> launch Cygwin with admin rights.

Oh, OK.

> Anyway, I noticed that with regtool, everything was ok.
> Is "regtool" the recommanded way to access (in read only) registry keys? And
> so we should avoid to run things like this Perl script line:
> open($fhandle, "/proc/registry/$key") )

Whichever works. ;-)

Thanks for the clarification.
--
Larry

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote
On 10/9/2012 4:51 PM, julien2412 wrote:
> Anyway, I noticed that with regtool, everything was ok.
> Is "regtool" the recommanded way to access (in read only) registry keys? And
> so we should avoid to run things like this Perl script line:
> open($fhandle, "/proc/registry/$key") )

Whichever works. ;-)
With admin rights, whichever works.
With no admin rights, regtool is the only to access any registry keys.

1) Why with no admin rights, ls /proc/registry doesn't map all the keys? After all, the goal is just to read only
2) Is there a way to have access to any registry keys without admin rights and without using regtool?

Julien

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Oct  9 23:32, julien2412 wrote:

> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote
> > On 10/9/2012 4:51 PM, julien2412 wrote:
> >> Anyway, I noticed that with regtool, everything was ok.
> >> Is "regtool" the recommanded way to access (in read only) registry keys?
> >> And
> >> so we should avoid to run things like this Perl script line:
> >> open($fhandle, "/proc/registry/$key") )
> >
> > Whichever works. ;-)
>
> With admin rights, whichever works.
> With no admin rights, regtool is the only to access any registry keys.
>
> 1) Why with no admin rights, ls /proc/registry doesn't map all the keys?
> After all, the goal is just to read only
> 2) Is there a way to have access to any registry keys without admin rights
> and without using regtool?

If you could show us examples, we might even be able to look into
this problem, *if* it is a problem.  I just tried the following on
Windows 7 as an UAC-restricted admin:

  $ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/ | wc -l
  149
  $ regtool list /HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft | wc -l
  149
  $ reg query HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft | wc -l
  149   <--- This is wrong!  It only shows 148 entries, the first line of
             output is empty.

And this is under a fully enabled admin shell:

  $ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/ | wc -l
  148
  $ regtool list /HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft | wc -l
  148
  $ reg query HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft | wc -l
  149   <--- Actually 148, as above.

The difference is an entry called "AudioCompressionManager", which
is only visible when running UAC-restricted.  Note that this entry
is not visible when using the Windows reg tool at all, and it's also
invisible in regedit.

Now, if you could give us some details from your side, we might be
able to see a pattern.

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
On Oct  9 23:32, julien2412 wrote:
> 1) Why with no admin rights, ls /proc/registry doesn't map all the keys?
> After all, the goal is just to read only
> 2) Is there a way to have access to any registry keys without admin rights
> and without using regtool?

If you could show us examples, we might even be able to look into
this problem, *if* it is a problem.  I just tried the following on
Windows 7 as an UAC-restricted admin:
Now, if you could give us some details from your side, we might be
able to see a pattern.
I'm not at home to test again but here is a quotation of what I had post on dev mailing list of LibreOffice
(http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Registry-keys-for-Windows-compilation-td3521322.html)
"
For example, there's nothing there :
/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VCExpress
And there's nothing cause permissions aren't ok :
ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
d---------  1      400    401 0 Nov 19 18:53 VBExpress
d---------  1      400    401 0 Nov 19 18:53 VCExpress
d---------  1      400    401 0 Nov 19 18:53 VCSExpress
But I can't succeed in adding +rx on these directories. When I look at authorizations on Windows registry, it's the same as Mediaplayer which appears like this on Cygwin :
dr-x------  3 SYSTEM   SYSTEM 0 Sep  2  2009 MediaPlayer
"

Julien

On Oct 10 03:17, julien2412 wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> > On Oct  9 23:32, julien2412 wrote:
> >> 1) Why with no admin rights, ls /proc/registry doesn't map all the keys?
> >> After all, the goal is just to read only
> >> 2) Is there a way to have access to any registry keys without admin
> >> rights
> >> and without using regtool?
> >
> > If you could show us examples, we might even be able to look into
> > this problem, *if* it is a problem.  I just tried the following on
> > Windows 7 as an UAC-restricted admin:
> > Now, if you could give us some details from your side, we might be
> > able to see a pattern.
>
> I'm not at home to test again but here is a quotation of what I had post on
> dev mailing list of LibreOffice
> (http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Registry-keys-for-Windows-compilation-td3521322.html)
> "
> For example, there's nothing there :
> /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VCExpress
> And there's nothing cause permissions aren't ok :
> ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
> d---------  1      400    401 0 Nov 19 18:53 VBExpress
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^

These uid and gid look fishy.  Your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
seem to be off.  Maybe that's the reason.  Regenerate your /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files:

  $ mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
  $ mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group

Use the -d option only if you're in a domain.  For more information see
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup

Then exit from your Cygwin shell and start again.  Any change?

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
On Oct 10 03:17, julien2412 wrote:
> For example, there's nothing there :
> /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VCExpress
> And there's nothing cause permissions aren't ok :
> ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
> d---------  1      400    401 0 Nov 19 18:53 VBExpress
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^
These uid and gid look fishy.  Your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
seem to be off.  Maybe that's the reason.  Regenerate your /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files:

  $ mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
  $ mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group

Use the -d option only if you're in a domain.  For more information see
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup

Then exit from your Cygwin shell and start again.  Any change?
I runned
  $ mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
  $ mkgroup -l > /etc/group
and restarted cygwin

Here are the results without admin rights:

$ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
total 0
dr-x------ 3 annie  None   0  8 avr.   2009 AudioCompressionManager
dr-x------ 5 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 21 févr.  2009 Direct3D
dr-x------ 3 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 21 févr.  2009 DirectDraw
dr-x------ 4 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  7 févr.  2009 Internet Explorer
dr-x------ 7 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 29 févr.  2012 Multimedia
dr-x------ 3 annie  None   0 22 févr.  2009 RFC1156Agent

Here are the results with admin rights (I put V* at the end to reduce the output):
$ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/V*
/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VCExpress:
total 0
dr-x------ 60 Administrateurs None 0  1 oct.  20:25 9.0

/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VisualStudio:
total 0
dr-x------  3 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  1 oct.  22:30 10.0
dr-x------  3 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  7 févr.  2009 3.5
dr-x------  4 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  1 oct.  22:25 8.0
dr-x------ 14 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  1 oct.  20:25 9.0
dr-x------  4 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  1 oct.  20:25 SxS

/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VSA:
total 0
dr-x------ 3 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  1 oct.  20:25 9.0

I didn't compare before and after but I think I've got a little more directories now.

BTW, it was an Cygwin clean install made 1 week ago.

Julien

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

Andrey Repin-3
Greetings, julien2412!

> Now if I just run an ls /proc/registry/<abbreviated
> HKLM>/SOFTWARE/Microsoft, I can see the registry keys I quoted only if I
> launch Cygwin with admin rights.

Sounds like incorrect installation or something environmental getting in the
way. (Antivirus sandboxing your cygwin?)
These keys are supposed to be readable by all local accounts (hence HKLM).

> Anyway, I noticed that with regtool, everything was ok.
> Is "regtool" the recommanded way to access (in read only) registry keys? And
> so we should avoid to run things like this Perl script line:
> open($fhandle, "/proc/registry/$key") )

> Julien
> PS:
> "uname -rs" gives "CYGWIN_NT_6.0 1.7.16 (0.262/5/3)"

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin ([hidden email]) 13.10.2012, <10:27>

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Andrey Repin-3 wrote
Greetings, julien2412!

> Now if I just run an ls /proc/registry/<abbreviated
> HKLM>/SOFTWARE/Microsoft, I can see the registry keys I quoted only if I
> launch Cygwin with admin rights.

Sounds like incorrect installation or something environmental getting in the
way. (Antivirus sandboxing your cygwin?)
These keys are supposed to be readable by all local accounts (hence HKLM).
I removed Cygwin (delete c:\cygwin directory) and installed again after having disabled all the agents of Avast, I got the same result. (ls /proc/registry/HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft gives far more less things than if I launch Cygwin with admin rights)
Any other test I could do?

Julien

On Oct 10 11:19, julien2412 wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen-2 wrote
> > On Oct 10 03:17, julien2412 wrote:
> >> For example, there's nothing there :
> >> /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/VCExpress
> >> And there's nothing cause permissions aren't ok :
> >> ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
> >> d---------  1      400    401 0 Nov 19 18:53 VBExpress
> >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > These uid and gid look fishy.  Your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
> > seem to be off.  Maybe that's the reason.  Regenerate your /etc/passwd
> > and /etc/group files:
> >
> >   $ mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
> >   $ mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group
> >
> > Use the -d option only if you're in a domain.  For more information see
> > http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
> > http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup
> >
> > Then exit from your Cygwin shell and start again.  Any change?
>
> I runned
>   $ mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
>   $ mkgroup -l > /etc/group
> and restarted cygwin
>
> Here are the results without admin rights:
>
> $ ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/
> total 0
> dr-x------ 3 annie  None   0  8 avr.   2009 AudioCompressionManager
> dr-x------ 5 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 21 févr.  2009 Direct3D
> dr-x------ 3 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 21 févr.  2009 DirectDraw
> dr-x------ 4 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0  7 févr.  2009 Internet Explorer
> dr-x------ 7 SYSTEM SYSTEM 0 29 févr.  2012 Multimedia
> dr-x------ 3 annie  None   0 22 févr.  2009 RFC1156Agent

That's the full output?  Very strange.  On a clean W8 install I get 126
entries under that key, regardless whether I have full admin rights or
being admin running UAC-restricted, or running under a non-admin account.

Try this without admin rights:

  $ strace -o ls.trace /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft
  $ grep 'stat_worker.*=' ls.trace > ls.stat.trace

and paste the content of ls.stat.trace into your reply.

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
strace gives an error:
$ strace -o ls.trace /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft
strace: error creating process C:\cygwin\proc\registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft, (error 3)

Here's the result of cygcheck strace
$ cygcheck strace
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\strace.exe
C:\cygwin\bin\strace.exe
  C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
  C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
    C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll

Julien

On Oct 16 11:24, julien2412 wrote:
> strace gives an error:
> $ strace -o ls.trace /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft
> strace: error creating process
> C:\cygwin\proc\registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft, (error 3)

My fault.  Make that:

  $ strace -o ls.trace /bin/ls -l /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Thank you for your quick feedback Corinna, it worked.

Here's the result of the grep command:
   73  143048 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft,0x2004AD88)
   67  146386 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE,0x22A788)
   67  147440 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/AudioCompressionManager,0x2004AD88)
   65  149159 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Direct3D,0x2004AE08)
   68  150659 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/DirectDraw,0x2004AE88)
   61  152248 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Internet Explorer,0x2004AF08)
   59  153763 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Multimedia,0x2004AF88)
   66  155234 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/RFC1156Agent,0x2004B008)
   39  170698 [main] ls 2212 stat_worker: 0 = (\??\C:\cygwin\dev,0x6123D2C0)

Julien

Re: Registry keys not only accessible when user

julien2412
Corinna, the commands you gave seem to show a pb with Windows registry.
So I launched a free Windows registry tool (glary utilities) to search for errors + defrag Windows registry
I also runned a scandisk on C: and now it works!

Registry keys appear now with Cygwin without needing to launch it with admin rights.

Thank you Corinna and everybody else for your help!

On Oct 16 13:51, julien2412 wrote:
> Corinna, the commands you gave seem to show a pb with Windows registry.
> So I launched a free Windows registry tool (glary utilities) to search for
> errors + defrag Windows registry
> I also runned a scandisk on C: and now it works!
>
> Registry keys appear now with Cygwin without needing to launch it with admin
> rights.
>
> Thank you Corinna and everybody else for your help!

Glad to read that.  The output you sent indicated that this is really
a problem outside of Cygwin's control.