Re: brltty and libusb package ?

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov  1 14:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ??BRLTTY[1] is a background process (daemon) which provides access to
> the Linux/Unix console (when in text mode) for a blind person using a
> refreshable braille display. It drives the braille display, and provides
> complete screen review functionality. Some speech capability has also
> been incorporated.??
>
> Since we recently ported it to Windows, we thought it might be useful to
> include it in the cygwin distribution for much easier installation by
> people.
>
> The code is GPL for the daemon part and LGPL for the client-API part.
>
> Debian put it in the "admin" section, I guess cygwin categories Admin,
> System or Utils would be appropriate.
>
> Would it be ok to include it in cygwin?

Is it ported to Cygwin then?  If it's a native Win app, I'd rather
think that it should not be packed with Cygwin.

> Braille devices are more and more using USB connections. Brltty uses
> libusb-win32[2] for accessing them. This isn't packaged in cygwin
> yet. Was it ever considered packaging? (it is GPL/LGPL)

The web page mentions that it's not working for MingW or Cygwin, so
it seems there's still some porting effort necessary.

Red Hat, Inc.

RE: brltty and libusb package ?

Dave Korn
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  1 14:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:

>> Braille devices are more and more using USB connections. Brltty uses
>> libusb-win32[2] for accessing them. This isn't packaged in cygwin
>> yet. Was it ever considered packaging? (it is GPL/LGPL)
>
> The web page mentions that it's not working for MingW or Cygwin, so
> it seems there's still some porting effort necessary.

  It also involves a kernel-mode device driver.  Is that suitable for cygwin,
or should cygwin remain an entirely user-space set of apps?  Is there any
policy/precedent?

    cheers,
      DaveK

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> The web page mentions that it's not working for MingW or Cygwin, so
> it seems there's still some porting effort necessary.

  AAMOF, I think you've mistranslated there Corinna.  The way I read that line
is that it says "Requirements:  MinGW/Msys, [ implied "BECAUSE" ] Cygwin is
not working yet..."

  So the porting probably wouldn't be a big issue.

    cheers,
      DaveK

On Nov  2 10:11, Dave Korn wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Nov  1 14:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
> >> Braille devices are more and more using USB connections. Brltty uses
> >> libusb-win32[2] for accessing them. This isn't packaged in cygwin
> >> yet. Was it ever considered packaging? (it is GPL/LGPL)
> >
> > The web page mentions that it's not working for MingW or Cygwin, so
> > it seems there's still some porting effort necessary.
>

>   It also involves a kernel-mode device driver.  Is that suitable for cygwin,
> or should cygwin remain an entirely user-space set of apps?  Is there any
> policy/precedent?

As long as the driver builds with Cygwin, it seems fine to me.  We have
already the ioperm package which brings its own driver, too.

Red Hat, Inc.

On Nov  2 10:14, Dave Korn wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > The web page mentions that it's not working for MingW or Cygwin, so
> > it seems there's still some porting effort necessary.
>

>   AAMOF, I think you've mistranslated there Corinna.  The way I read that line
> is that it says "Requirements:  MinGW/Msys, [ implied "BECAUSE" ] Cygwin is
> not working yet..."
>
>   So the porting probably wouldn't be a big issue.

Whatever, I won't port it anyway ;-)

Red Hat, Inc.