Re: bind to multicast address fails

Christopher Faylor-8
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 04:55:17PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>On May 13 16:19, Moritz Warning wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to bind a socket to a multicast address (239.192.202.5). But it fails with an error:
>> "Cannot assign requested address"
>>
>> Is this not supported using Cygwin? I've added a simple test program in case someone wants
>> to verify.
>
>It's a problem win the underlying Winsock (again).  Maybe this discussion
>on stackoverflow helps you along:
>
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6140734/cannot-bind-to-multicast-address-windows
>
>Right now I have no inclination to workaround this problem in Cygwin.
>Maybe if you ping me again in a month or so.  Of course, patches are
>always welcome...

I think that the current consensus is that everyone is tired about
excuses like "no inclination" or "no time" or "vacation" or "death in
the family" or "newborn baby".  Frankly, I think if there is an issue
you should be fixing it.  This issue has clearly been in the code for a
long time and, although it probably doesn't work on MSYS2, that should
be no excuse for not fixing it in Cygwin.

Re: bind to multicast address fails

Corinna Vinschen-2
On May 13 13:36, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 04:55:17PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On May 13 16:19, Moritz Warning wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I try to bind a socket to a multicast address (239.192.202.5). But it fails with an error:
> >> "Cannot assign requested address"
> >>
> >> Is this not supported using Cygwin? I've added a simple test program in case someone wants
> >> to verify.
> >
> >It's a problem win the underlying Winsock (again).  Maybe this discussion
> >on stackoverflow helps you along:
> >
> >http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6140734/cannot-bind-to-multicast-address-windows
> >
> >Right now I have no inclination to workaround this problem in Cygwin.
> >Maybe if you ping me again in a month or so.  Of course, patches are
> >always welcome...
>
> I think that the current consensus is that everyone is tired about
> excuses like "no inclination" or "no time" or "vacation" or "death in
> the family" or "newborn baby".  Frankly, I think if there is an issue
> you should be fixing it.  This issue has clearly been in the code for a
> long time and, although it probably doesn't work on MSYS2, that should
> be no excuse for not fixing it in Cygwin.
Yes, Sir, Officer, Sir!