Re: Vertical split in GNU screen

flo@neotek.fr
Hi, i'm new with mailing-lists use!
i'd like to re-talk about a feature with cygwin screen! How can we add
the marvellous "Vertical split in GNU screen" with cygwin?
I know there were a talk about that between Jeenu V <jeenuv at gmail
dot com> and Andrew Schulman <schulman dot andrew at epamail dot epa
dot gov> the 19 Apr 2010!
Thanks in advance for somebody answer!
If i'm not at the right place to talk about this or if i don't use
this list in the good way, please don't shout at me, just show me!
Florent LOTTIN

Re: Vertical split in GNU screen

Christopher Faylor-8
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 03:50:28PM +0200, flo wrote:
>Hi, i'm new with mailing-lists use!
>i'd like to re-talk about a feature with cygwin screen! How can we add
>the marvellous "Vertical split in GNU screen" with cygwin?
>I know there were a talk about that between Jeenu V <jeenuv at gmail
>dot com> and Andrew Schulman <schulman dot andrew at epamail dot epa
>dot gov> the 19 Apr 2010!
>Thanks in advance for somebody answer!
>If i'm not at the right place to talk about this or if i don't use
>this list in the good way, please don't shout at me, just show me!

1) If you are looking for an enhancement for GNU screen then you should
go to the source:

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

and request it there.  Then, eventually, it will make its way to Cygwin
and every other distribution which packages GNU screen.

2) You're asking us not to shout at you.  Why are you shouting at us?
Periods are what we use to close sentences.  Please just use them.

3) Thanks for not quoting raw email addresses.

Re: Vertical split in GNU screen

Andrew Schulman-3
> Hi, i'm new with mailing-lists use!
> i'd like to re-talk about a feature with cygwin screen! How can we add
> the marvellous "Vertical split in GNU screen" with cygwin?
> I know there were a talk about that between Jeenu V <jeenuv at gmail
> dot com> and Andrew Schulman <schulman dot andrew at epamail dot epa
> dot gov> the 19 Apr 2010!
> Thanks in advance for somebody answer!
> If i'm not at the right place to talk about this or if i don't use
> this list in the good way, please don't shout at me, just show me!
> Florent LOTTIN

Hi Florent.  There is a patch that's been available for a while, that adds
vertical split support to screen.  I believe that Debian, Ubuntu, and
probably others already incorporate it into their official screen packages.

I remember the exchange with Jeenu, and after that I did go get the patch,
build screen with it for Cygwin, and try it out.  What I found, if I
remember right, is that I saw a lot of what I considered strange behavior,
and very little documentation or help about how the vertical split feature
is supposed to work.  It didn't seem to me to be working very well, so I
put it aside.

If people would like to try out the patched version, I can post it as a
test release.  Maybe you can tell me if the vertical split feature is
working the way it's supposed to.

Andrew.

Re: Vertical split in GNU screen

flo@neotek.fr
Thanks a lot for your quick answer! I will be pleased if you could
post the version of Screen with vsplit patch  as a test release
because i didn't try to compile for cygwin yet!
I will try it and give my feedback! I'm on winxp sp3!
Rgds,
Florent..