Re: Updated: coreutils-5.93-2 [Attn base-files maintainer]

Re: Updated: coreutils-5.93-2 [Attn base-files maintainer]

Eric Blake (cygwin)

Re: Updated: coreutils-5.93-2 [Attn base-files maintainer]

John Morrison-10
On Sat, January 21, 2006 3:31 pm, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to John Morrison on 1/21/2006 8:12 AM:

>>> base-files now needs to be updated to use these new features in
>>> /etc/defaults/etc/DIR_COLORS.  I suggest using "dircolors -p" as a
>>> starting point.
>>
>> Do you think that this would be better in the bash package?  If not, I'm
>> quite willing to update the file using dircolors -p, but I'll prob not
>> tweak them from whatever comes out...
>
> I think it would be fair for me to release coreutils-5.93-3 with
> /etc/DIR_COLORS belonging to the coreutils package instead of base-files.

Sorry - wrong package!

> That way, whenever the syntax accepted by dircolors changes in coreutils
> releases, DIR_COLORS would automatically track it without your help.

I don't mind maintaining it, but agree that it would be easier/quicker
than its current location.

> But that means we will need to coordinate the upload, so that the window
> of time between when base-files removes the file and coreutils supplies
> the file is minimized.

Agreed.  I'll probably have a new package prepared by tonight, but to be
on the safe side, how about if, in the [UPLOAD] request we ask that it not
be done until the other package upload request is sent?

>> I'll do a new release of base-files quite soon, Igor has sent me a
>> change too.
>>
>> John.
>>
>> PS, hope it was OK to take this off list.  Reply to the list if it
>> wasn't.
>
> Because it involves a package release timing coordination, cygwin-apps was
> probably the appropriate list.

Ok.  Replied there.

John.

Re: Updated: coreutils-5.93-2 [Attn base-files maintainer]

Eric Blake (cygwin)

Re: Updated: coreutils-5.93-2 [Attn base-files maintainer]

Igor Peshansky
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Eric Blake wrote:

> [snip]
> An unrelated comment:  Due to reinstating su.exe, coreutils now depends
> on crypt.  To date, no package in Base has had a dependency on crypt, so
> the new coreutils does increase the size of the minimal cygwin install.
> Speak up now if anyone has heartburn with this.

Gasp!  How will I live with those extra 48k on my disk?

We might want to move crypt into Base, though...
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"