Re: Cygwin 3.1.X Fatal Errors - add_item ("\??\C:", "/", ...) failed, errno 22

Re: Cygwin 3.1.X Fatal Errors - add_item ("\??\C:", "/", ...) failed, errno 22

Ken Brown-6
[Redirecting to the Cygwin list.]

On 1/13/2020 6:59 AM, Ken Turner wrote:

> Dear Ken
>
> As you will see from https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2020-01/msg00111.html I have
> been having difficulty with installing Cygwin 3.1.X. It appears that it is no
> longer possible to install Cygwin directly into C: and now requires a
> subdirectory of this.
>
> It was suggested that this might be due to patch you made such as
> https://cygwin.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commit;f=winsup/cygwin/path.cc;h=283cb372e4e25d1d11123d98e3d14e85b525e48d
> - but that's just a guess. Is there some connection with your patch?

Yes.  See my reply to Houder on the Cygwin list.

RE: Cygwin 3.1.X Fatal Errors - add_item ("\??\C:", "/", ...) failed, errno 22

Ken Turner-2
Thanks to Marco for the advice, and special thanks to Henri for additional support.

As noted on https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2020-01/msg00129.html, my problem was due to installing Cygwin in the drive root. I was forced to do this some years ago because of a third-party package that required Cygwin to be installed there.

Following a suggestion from Henri, I moved C:\bin, etc. to C:\Cygwin and then ran setup with the latter as the installation directory. I could then apply the 3.1.X update without problems.