Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Angelo Graziosi

The problems described in

are absent if one uses the snapshot 2005.10.24 12:04:00.

Those problems appear at least from the snapshot 2005.11.17 and are
present also with the last snapshot 2005.12.10.

[With the recent snapshots some commands of Emacs does not work correcly
(M-x compile, M-x recompile, M-x flyspell-mode ...):  instead to be
executed Emacs says that 'alarm clock is setted at...'. One must try
several times (50%) to get the commands executed.]

Ciao,

  Angelo.

Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Dec 11 22:44, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> The problems described in
>
>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00441.html
>
> are absent if one uses the snapshot 2005.10.24 12:04:00.
>
> Those problems appear at least from the snapshot 2005.11.17 and are
> present also with the last snapshot 2005.12.10.
>
> [With the recent snapshots some commands of Emacs does not work correcly
> (M-x compile, M-x recompile, M-x flyspell-mode ...):  instead to be
> executed Emacs says that 'alarm clock is setted at...'. One must try
> several times (50%) to get the commands executed.]

Could the xemacs maintainer please have a look into that and break
this down into something which can be handled by a xemacs ignorant?

Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Dr. Volker Zell

    > Could the xemacs maintainer please have a look into that and break
    > this down into something which can be handled by a xemacs ignorant?

I think the OP means emacs and not xemacs. But xemacs has problems with
starting subprocesses as indicated in

 o http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00424.html

I will check this evening if I find the snapshot version where it begins
to break.

    > Thanks,
    > Corinna

Ciao
  Volker

On Dec 12 13:32, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > Could the xemacs maintainer please have a look into that and break
>     > this down into something which can be handled by a xemacs ignorant?
>
> I think the OP means emacs and not xemacs. But xemacs has problems with
> starting subprocesses as indicated in
>
>  o http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00424.html

You *did* read that I checked in a patch this morning which should solve
this, didn't you?

> I will check this evening if I find the snapshot version where it begins
> to break.

It would be more helpful to actually debug the situation instead of just
returning "worked here, didn't work there".

Red Hat, Inc.

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

> I think the OP means emacs and not xemacs.

Yes, I mean EMACS and not XEmacs!

I confirm that the problems described in

are absent with the snapshot 2005.10.24.

Ciao,

   angelo.

Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Dr. Volker Zell

    > You *did* read that I checked in a patch this morning which should solve
    > this, didn't you?

    >   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00452.html

Yup, xemacs can start subprocesses again with the 20051212 snapshot.

    > Corinna

Thanks
  Volker

Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Angelo Graziosi

With the snapshots 20051212 13:44:06 the problems described previously
remain.

They seem a little worst.

Best regards,

  Angelo.

Re: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot(was: Emacs and 'alarm clock')

Dr. Volker Zell

    > With the snapshots 20051212 13:44:06 the problems described previously
    > remain.

    > They seem a little worst.

I just checked this with 20051212 and emacs (not xemacs).

emacs -q

M-x flyspell-mode
M-x compile
M-x recompile

For me everything is working fine here.

    > Best regards,

    >   Angelo.

Ciao
  Volker

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

> I just checked this with 20051212 and emacs (not xemacs).
>
> emacs -q
>
> M-x flyspell-mode
> M-x compile
> M-x recompile
>
> For me everything is working fine here.

I have tried also with the snapshots 20051212 13:44:06, 20051213 00:12:38
with the same problems: they appear randomly, one should try 3, 4 or 5
times. Only with the snap 20051024 everything works. In any case many
thanks.

Cheers,

   angelo.

On Dec 13 22:16, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>

> > I just checked this with 20051212 and emacs (not xemacs).
> >
> > emacs -q
> >
> > M-x flyspell-mode
> > M-x compile
> > M-x recompile
> >
> > For me everything is working fine here.
> >

> I have tried also with the snapshots 20051212 13:44:06, 20051213 00:12:38
> with the same problems: they appear randomly, one should try 3, 4 or 5
> times. Only with the snap 20051024 everything works. In any case many
> thanks.

I tried this more than 30 times in emacs, but I never saw this effect.
Any chance you can debug this yourself?

Red Hat, Inc.