[RFU] lftp 3.4.7-1

Andrew Schulman-3
I'd like to take over maintainership of the lftp package.  It's
currently unmaintained.  I've packaged version 3.4.7, the latest
release; URLs are below.  Since this isn't a new package for Cygwin I
don't think an ITP is needed, but please review the package files.  If
they're found to be suitable, please upload them.

The package layout is about the same as in the old version; there are
some new files, but no new directories.  I've kept the postinstall
script from the old version.  That script is fancier than just plain old

[ -f /etc/lftp.conf ] || cp /etc/defaults/etc/lftp.conf /etc

but that's what it in fact does in an automated installation (e.g.
setup.exe).  In an interactive installation, it will prompt the user to
decide whether to replace an existing config file.  Maybe not too
useful, but no harm done either.

Thanks,
Andrew.

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/lftp/setup.hint
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/lftp/lftp-3.4.7-1.tar.bz2
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/lftp/lftp-3.4.7-1-src.tar.bz2

Re: [RFU] lftp 3.4.7-1

Igor Peshansky
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Schulman.Andrew wrote:

> I've kept the postinstall script from the old version.  That script is
> fancier than just plain old
>
> [ -f /etc/lftp.conf ] || cp /etc/defaults/etc/lftp.conf /etc
>
> but that's what it in fact does in an automated installation (e.g.
> setup.exe).  In an interactive installation, it will prompt the user to
> decide whether to replace an existing config file.  Maybe not too
> useful, but no harm done either.

Just to make sure, does it actually read its input from stdin?  If so,
it's not going to work in older versions of setup (before it started
redirecting postinstall script input from /dev/null).
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: [RFU] lftp 3.4.7-1

Andrew Schulman-3
> > I've kept the postinstall script from the old version.  That script
is
> > fancier than just plain old
> >
> > [ -f /etc/lftp.conf ] || cp /etc/defaults/etc/lftp.conf /etc
> >
> > but that's what it in fact does in an automated installation (e.g.
> > setup.exe).  In an interactive installation, it will prompt the user
> > decide whether to replace an existing config file.  Maybe not too
> > useful, but no harm done either.
>
> Just to make sure, does it actually read its input from stdin?  If so,
> it's not going to work in older versions of setup (before it started
> redirecting postinstall script input from /dev/null).

No.  It looks to see if it was invoked as /etc/postinstall/lftp.sh, and
if so assumes a "no" answer to the "Overwrite existing /etc/lftp.conf?"
question.  It does print some installation chatter to stdout, but I
believe that's okay.

I have no particular attachment to this script.  I'd be just as happy
with the simple version I mentioned above, but decided to leave it since
it was already there.

A.

Re: [RFU] lftp 3.4.7-1

Igor Peshansky
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Schulman.Andrew wrote:

> > > I've kept the postinstall script from the old version.  That script
> > > is fancier than just plain old
> > >
> > > [ -f /etc/lftp.conf ] || cp /etc/defaults/etc/lftp.conf /etc
> > >
> > > but that's what it in fact does in an automated installation (e.g.
> > > setup.exe).  In an interactive installation, it will prompt the user
> > > to decide whether to replace an existing config file.  Maybe not too
> > > useful, but no harm done either.
> >
> > Just to make sure, does it actually read its input from stdin?  If so,
> > it's not going to work in older versions of setup (before it started
> > redirecting postinstall script input from /dev/null).
>
> No.  It looks to see if it was invoked as /etc/postinstall/lftp.sh, and
> if so assumes a "no" answer to the "Overwrite existing /etc/lftp.conf?"
> question.  It does print some installation chatter to stdout, but I
> believe that's okay.

Ah, yes, that is certainly ok.  As long as it doesn't try to read stdin as
a postinstall script, you're fine.

> I have no particular attachment to this script.  I'd be just as happy
> with the simple version I mentioned above, but decided to leave it since
> it was already there.

Up to you as the maintainer.  Besides, since you're keeping the old
postinstall script intact, and we didn't hear any complaints about lftp
installation, my comment was probably too paranoid.
        Igor