RFC on packaging of additional Apache2 modules

RFC on packaging of additional Apache2 modules

Max O Bowsher

Re: RFC on packaging of additional Apache2 modules

Igor Peshansky
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Max Bowsher wrote:

> I'm preparing a new Apache 2 release, and want to include a conf.d
> arrangement to allow additional module packagess to install
> configuration fragments in a useful way.
>
> So far, my tentative proposal is:
>
> Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/*.conf in httpd.conf.
> Have module packages install config fragments to
> /etc/apache2/conf-std.d/, and copy them insto conf.d if no equivalent
> exists.
>
> This is consistent with the way the package currently handles
> httpd.conf, etc.
>
> I'm posting here for input before I go ahead and do it.

The above sounds fine, but why not use /etc/defaults/etc/apache2/conf.d/
instead of /etc/apache2/conf-std.d/?
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

Re: RFC on packaging of additional Apache2 modules

John Morrison-10
On Fri, November 25, 2005 6:08 am, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> I'm preparing a new Apache 2 release, and want to include a conf.d
>> arrangement to allow additional module packagess to install
>> configuration fragments in a useful way.
>>
>> So far, my tentative proposal is:
>>
>> Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/*.conf in httpd.conf.
>> Have module packages install config fragments to
>> /etc/apache2/conf-std.d/, and copy them insto conf.d if no equivalent
>> exists.
>>
>> This is consistent with the way the package currently handles
>> httpd.conf, etc.
>>
>> I'm posting here for input before I go ahead and do it.
>
> The above sounds fine, but why not use /etc/defaults/etc/apache2/conf.d/
> instead of /etc/apache2/conf-std.d/?
> Igor

That's amost the same as Debian is doing (the only linux I'm running atm)...

/etc/apache2/apache2.conf
    / some standard apache config stuff then lines to include...
    # Include module configuration:
    Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.load
    Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.conf

    # Include all the user configurations:
    Include /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

    # Include ports listing
    Include /etc/apache2/ports.conf

    # Include generic snippets of statements
    Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/[^.#]*

/etc/apache2/conf.d/
    / site specific config files (I think)
/etc/apache2/envvars
    / any standard vars (I've not got any)
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf
    / this file is basically empty too
/etc/apache2/magic
    / usual magic instructions
/etc/apache2/mods-available/
    / contains *all* known module information
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/
    / contains links to the modules in mods-available you want to use
/etc/apache2/ports.conf
    / just a listen 80 instruction here!
/etc/apache2/README
    / Huh, think you can guess ;)
/etc/apache2/sites-available/
    / contains all sites you might want this installation of apache to host
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/
    / links to the sites to you want to enable from sites-available
/etc/apache2/ssl
    / ssl files

Hope this helps.

J.

PS, I agree with Igor, untar the installation files into
/etc/defaults/etc/apache2/... and postinstall copy as appropriate :)