RE: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS

RE: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS

Mark Geisert
> This deserves to be enshrined somewhere as the canonical
> (and admirably restrained) answer to "Why doesn't Open Source
> package X [do|include|implement] Y".

Someone has to do it.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

#(*#&$(*#$ char counter.

RE: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
Noel Grandin sent the following at Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:30 AM
>And in the words of Linus Torvalds: "The perfect is the enemy of the
>good". (Not actually originally by him, but he probably carries more
>weight around here)

Voltaire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

- Barry

RE: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS

Mike Marchywka-2

can you guys please quote more context for those of us who don't read the cygwin main list.

do you still have something against top posting ( in this case, I'm just making a general comment
and the post to which I'm replyng properly belongs in an appendix at the bottom of message LOL).

note new address
Mike Marchywka 2295 Collinworth Drive Marietta GA 30062.
formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

> From: BBuchbinder
> To: cygwin-talk
> CC: noelgrandin
> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 08:56:36 -0400
> Subject: RE: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS
>
> Noel Grandin sent the following at Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:30 AM
> >And in the words of Linus Torvalds: "The perfect is the enemy of the
> >good". (Not actually originally by him, but he probably carries more
> >weight around here)
>
> Voltaire:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good
>
> - Barry
> Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.

Re: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS

Christopher Faylor-8
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 09:26:16AM -0400, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>can you guys

No thanks.

And, yes, top-posting is still bad for all of the same reasons.

And, *forwarding* email rather than replying to it just exposes you
as rather clueless wrt email.

RE: include SHA1/MD5 hash/digest of setup.exe, and HTTPS

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
Mike Marchywka wrote on September 28, 2012 9:26 AM
>can you guys please quote more context for those of
>us who don't read the cygwin main list.

It wasn't that hard to find.

My message was about the quote and had nothing to do with setup.exe,
so I didn't think the context was relevant.  That contributed to
moving it to the talk list.

- Barry