Questions about creating a package or not

Questions about creating a package or not

Kizito Porta Balanyà
Hello,

I have compiled monit in cygwin but some of the functionalities are not aware.
I don't have the necessary programming experience to provide them.

The binary is usable, and I supply the unaware features with some
wrapper scripts that "do same job".

After talking with the monit company, they will not release a monit
release for cygwin in the near feature.

What should I do? Create a package alerting that some of the
functionalities are not aware? Don't create a package? Forget it?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Re: Questions about creating a package or not

marco atzeri-4
On 3/5/2015 10:22 AM, Kizito Porta Balanyà wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have compiled monit in cygwin but some of the functionalities are not aware.
> I don't have the necessary programming experience to provide them.
>
> The binary is usable, and I supply the unaware features with some
> wrapper scripts that "do same job".
>
> After talking with the monit company, they will not release a monit
> release for cygwin in the near feature.
>
> What should I do? Create a package alerting that some of the
> functionalities are not aware? Don't create a package? Forget it?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.

If you are willing to be the maintainer,
you can start reading here

https://cygwin.com/setup.html

Re: Questions about creating a package or not

Andrew Schulman
> Hello,
>
> I have compiled monit in cygwin but some of the functionalities are not aware.
> I don't have the necessary programming experience to provide them.
>
> The binary is usable, and I supply the unaware features with some
> wrapper scripts that "do same job".
>
> After talking with the monit company, they will not release a monit
> release for cygwin in the near feature.
>
> What should I do? Create a package alerting that some of the
> functionalities are not aware? Don't create a package? Forget it?

Many free software packages have to be adjusted to be used in Cygwin.  Sometimes
not every feature works.  This is perfectly okay.

If you think the version you have works well enough to be useful, and you're
willing to maintain it, then yes, please go ahead and package it.  You should
start by reading https://cygwin.com/setup.html, as Marco said.

Andrew

Re: Questions about creating a package or not

BGINFO4X
Thanks for your answers.

Do I need to compile it with 64 bits tools to distribute it with cygwin64 ?
Or can I compile the 32 bits version and distribute both ports
(cygwin32 and cygwin64)?

"In this king of package compiling 64 bits has no sense".

Thanks a lot.

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have compiled monit in cygwin but some of the functionalities are not aware.
>> I don't have the necessary programming experience to provide them.
>>
>> The binary is usable, and I supply the unaware features with some
>> wrapper scripts that "do same job".
>>
>> After talking with the monit company, they will not release a monit
>> release for cygwin in the near feature.
>>
>> What should I do? Create a package alerting that some of the
>> functionalities are not aware? Don't create a package? Forget it?
>
> Many free software packages have to be adjusted to be used in Cygwin.  Sometimes
> not every feature works.  This is perfectly okay.
>
> If you think the version you have works well enough to be useful, and you're
> willing to maintain it, then yes, please go ahead and package it.  You should
> start by reading https://cygwin.com/setup.html, as Marco said.
>
> Andrew
>

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Questions about creating a package or not

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Mar  5 16:24, BGINFO4X wrote:
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Do I need to compile it with 64 bits tools to distribute it with cygwin64 ?
> Or can I compile the 32 bits version and distribute both ports
> (cygwin32 and cygwin64)?
>
> "In this king of package compiling 64 bits has no sense".

Cygwin 32 and 64 bit are not directly interoperable, like 32 bit
processes on Linux, but you can install both versions on your 64 bit
machine in parallel.

So, yes, you have to create a 32 and a 64 bit package.  But you can
create the packages in the same directory from the same cygport file,
it's really pretty simple.

Cygwin Maintainer                 cygwin AT cygwin DOT com

Re: Questions about creating a package or not

Andrey Repin
Greetings, BGINFO4X!

> Do I need to compile it with 64 bits tools to distribute it with cygwin64 ?
> Or can I compile the 32 bits version and distribute both ports
> (cygwin32 and cygwin64)?

I think, your answer was more like "do I need to install 64-bit Cygwin to
compile 64-bit version of my package".
To the best of my knowledge, you should be fine with appropriate
cross-compiler. No need for separate 64-bit install, if you see no other use
for it.
But it may be woth a while to install it for testing purposes.

> "In this king of package compiling 64 bits has no sense".

Now, this is a nonsense :)
Native applications will always work faster, if only by a little.
Also, what Corinna said on compatibility between different Cygwin
architectures.

--
WBR,
Andrey Repin ([hidden email]) 05.03.2015, <22:26>

Sorry for my terrible english...