Putting packages up for adoption

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Putting packages up for adoption

Yaakov Selkowitz
Hello Cygwin package maintainers,

As you all probably noted, I haven't been around much.  My team at work
has been really busy accomplishing some pretty amazing feats over the
last number of months, most recently:

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/red-hat-openshift-now-available-ibm-z-linuxone/

While it's been great for my career, it obviously hasn't been so good
for you and the community as a whole, as I've really had absolutely no
time to work on Cygwin packaging.  In fact, I've barely used my Windows
machine and VMs at all for quite some time.  And to be completely
honest, it really doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon
either.

To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
strong foundation to on which to continue to build.

(And just to be perfectly clear, we're all in good health; this has
nothing to do with the current crisis, except that maybe some of you
have more time at home now to use to the benefit of Cygwin.)

I'll continue lurking on the lists, and with this burden off my
shoulders, try to transition to being a little more active as a mentor.
So, please feel free to ask questions (on list, please), particularly
if you don't understand why I did something in my packaging.  There is
(or at least was at the time!) a good reason for all of it, even though
I often neglected to document why.  I'll try to do what I can to make
this as smooth as possible.

All the best, stay safe, and keep on building!

--
Yaakov


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
Am 20.03.2020 um 04:47 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:

> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>
> As you all probably noted, I haven't been around much.  My team at work
> has been really busy accomplishing some pretty amazing feats over the
> last number of months, most recently:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/red-hat-openshift-now-available-ibm-z-linuxone/
>
> While it's been great for my career, it obviously hasn't been so good
> for you and the community as a whole, as I've really had absolutely no
> time to work on Cygwin packaging.  In fact, I've barely used my Windows
> machine and VMs at all for quite some time.  And to be completely
> honest, it really doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon
> either.
>
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>
> (And just to be perfectly clear, we're all in good health; this has
> nothing to do with the current crisis, except that maybe some of you
> have more time at home now to use to the benefit of Cygwin.)
>
> I'll continue lurking on the lists, and with this burden off my
> shoulders, try to transition to being a little more active as a mentor.
> So, please feel free to ask questions (on list, please), particularly
> if you don't understand why I did something in my packaging.  There is
> (or at least was at the time!) a good reason for all of it, even though
> I often neglected to document why.  I'll try to do what I can to make
> this as smooth as possible.
>
> All the best, stay safe, and keep on building!
>
> --
> Yaakov
>

Hi Yaakov,
thanks of letting us know.
I guess that most of us clearly understood that work took over
and as you have clearly a talent to make stuff work together
I am not surprised that Redhat is using that to full speed.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Marco

PS for all the others:
"Houston we have a problem.."

$ awk '{$1="" ; print }' cygwin-pkg-maint  | sort  | uniq -c |sort -rn
    2691  Yaakov Selkowitz
     244  Achim Gratz
     165  Marco Atzeri
     162  Jari Aalto
     140  ORPHANED (Yaakov Selkowitz)
      95  Ken Brown
      82  Achim Gratz/Yaakov Selkowitz
      47  Achim Gratz/Ken Brown
      42  ORPHANED (Dr. Volker Zell)
      33  Corinna Vinschen
      29  Jon Turney
      28  Andrew Schulman
      22  ORPHANED (David Stacey)
      22  Jonathan Yong
      21  Eric Blake
      18  David Rothenberger
       9  ORPHANED
       8  ORPHANED (Charles Wilson)
       8  Christian Franke
....






Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Achim Gratz
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> "Houston we have a problem.."
>
>      82  Achim Gratz/Yaakov Selkowitz

I'm up for taking sole ownership of any co-maint packages I've had
together with Yaakov.  I'll look into what other packages I might
be able to maintain.

The bulk of the newly orphaned packages probably belong to GNOME and KDE
and I'm not set up for even compiling those at the moment plus I usually
don't use even X11 on Cygwin.  The desktop environments would really
benefit from having their own maintainer that is also an active user,
preferrably someone that also has ties into the upstream community.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
In reply to this post by Yaakov Selkowitz
If no one objects, I'd be happy to become a maintainer for the wxPython
and ddrescue packages. There are probably others I could pick up as
well, but I figure it's best to start small.

I'm not sure if there's a process for becoming a maintainer, but as a
result of my using Cygwin on and off for a few years, I think I have a
reasonably good idea of how it works, so I'd be happy to help. Cygwin is
a great project and has been very useful for me and many other people.

Hamish

On 20/03/2020 03:47, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>
> As you all probably noted, I haven't been around much.  My team at work
> has been really busy accomplishing some pretty amazing feats over the
> last number of months, most recently:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/red-hat-openshift-now-available-ibm-z-linuxone/
>
> While it's been great for my career, it obviously hasn't been so good
> for you and the community as a whole, as I've really had absolutely no
> time to work on Cygwin packaging.  In fact, I've barely used my Windows
> machine and VMs at all for quite some time.  And to be completely
> honest, it really doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon
> either.
>
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>
> (And just to be perfectly clear, we're all in good health; this has
> nothing to do with the current crisis, except that maybe some of you
> have more time at home now to use to the benefit of Cygwin.)
>
> I'll continue lurking on the lists, and with this burden off my
> shoulders, try to transition to being a little more active as a mentor.
> So, please feel free to ask questions (on list, please), particularly
> if you don't understand why I did something in my packaging.  There is
> (or at least was at the time!) a good reason for all of it, even though
> I often neglected to document why.  I'll try to do what I can to make
> this as smooth as possible.
>
> All the best, stay safe, and keep on building!
>
> --
> Yaakov
>
>

0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
Am 20.03. um 09:13 schrieb Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps:

> If no one objects, I'd be happy to become a maintainer for the wxPython
> and ddrescue packages. There are probably others I could pick up as
> well, but I figure it's best to start small.
>
> I'm not sure if there's a process for becoming a maintainer, but as a
> result of my using Cygwin on and off for a few years, I think I have a
> reasonably good idea of how it works, so I'd be happy to help. Cygwin is
> a great project and has been very useful for me and many other people.
>
> Hamish
>

Hi Hamish,
bottom post on cygwin list, please.

I suggest you to read the
https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html
and start looking at the source of the cygwin packages
you would like to adopt as easy way to take over.
Most of the time it is just a matter of changing the package version
and download the upstream source and build it.
If you have problem feel free to ask here.

When your package is ready, just send a ITA (intention to adopt)
instead of a ITP (intention to package) and some of the
other maintainers will review your package.
After GTG (good to go) we will put your name on

  https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

and you can upload the package.

Regards
Marco


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
In reply to this post by Yaakov Selkowitz
Op vr 20 mrt. 2020 om 05:03 schreef Yaakov Selkowitz:
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.


I'm willing to adopt the tcl-related packages:

    mingw64-i686-tcl                             Yaakov Selkowitz
    mingw64-i686-tk                              Yaakov Selkowitz
    mingw64-x86_64-tcl                           Yaakov Selkowitz
    mingw64-x86_64-tk                            Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl                                          Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl-itcl                                     Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl-itk                                      Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl-iwidgets                                 Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl-tix                                      Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl-tk                                       Yaakov Selkowitz
    tcl-togl                                     Yaakov Selkowitz

And - since I'm already maintaining SQLite, I can do the mingw64 variants
of SQLite too:
    mingw64-i686-sqlite3                         Yaakov Selkowitz
    mingw64-x86_64-sqlite3                       Yaakov Selkowitz

In one month or so, Tcl 8.6.11 is expected, then I'll try to get the
first builds going (assuming my contribution is accepted)

Regards,
     Jan Nijtmans
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Corinna Vinschen-2
In reply to this post by Yaakov Selkowitz
On Mar 19 23:47, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>
> As you all probably noted, I haven't been around much.  My team at work
> has been really busy accomplishing some pretty amazing feats over the
> last number of months, most recently:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/red-hat-openshift-now-available-ibm-z-linuxone/
>
> While it's been great for my career, it obviously hasn't been so good
> for you and the community as a whole, as I've really had absolutely no
> time to work on Cygwin packaging.  In fact, I've barely used my Windows
> machine and VMs at all for quite some time.  And to be completely
> honest, it really doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon
> either.
>
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>
> (And just to be perfectly clear, we're all in good health; this has
> nothing to do with the current crisis, except that maybe some of you
> have more time at home now to use to the benefit of Cygwin.)
>
> I'll continue lurking on the lists, and with this burden off my
> shoulders, try to transition to being a little more active as a mentor.
> So, please feel free to ask questions (on list, please), particularly
> if you don't understand why I did something in my packaging.  There is
> (or at least was at the time!) a good reason for all of it, even though
> I often neglected to document why.  I'll try to do what I can to make
> this as smooth as possible.
>
> All the best, stay safe, and keep on building!
>
> --
> Yaakov
There's no number of goldstars or plush hippos which would do justice to
what you did for Cygwin, Yaakov.  If there's something like the ULTIMATE
PLUSH HIPPO REPLACING EVRY OTHER PLUSH HIPPO, you should get it.

Thanks for everything you did for Cygwin!

There's just one problem.  What happens to your packages which are not
upstream packages but Cygwin-specific?  Especially cygport comes to
mind.  Off the top of my head I don't know which other packages fall
into that category.

However, for these packages, we should ideally move them from your
cygwinports github repo to cygwin.com, right?


Thanks,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Corinna Vinschen-2
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz
On Mar 20 07:05, ASSI wrote:
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> > "Houston we have a problem.."
> >
> >      82  Achim Gratz/Yaakov Selkowitz
>
> I'm up for taking sole ownership of any co-maint packages I've had
> together with Yaakov.  I'll look into what other packages I might
> be able to maintain.

I changed that in cygwin-pkg-maint.


Thanks,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Corinna Vinschen-2
In reply to this post by cygwin-apps mailing list
On Mar 20 10:29, Jan Nijtmans via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> Op vr 20 mrt. 2020 om 05:03 schreef Yaakov Selkowitz:
> > To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> > packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> > all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> > be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> > bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> > is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> > strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>
>
> I'm willing to adopt the tcl-related packages:
>
>     mingw64-i686-tcl                             Yaakov Selkowitz
>     mingw64-i686-tk                              Yaakov Selkowitz
>     mingw64-x86_64-tcl                           Yaakov Selkowitz
>     mingw64-x86_64-tk                            Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl                                          Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl-itcl                                     Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl-itk                                      Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl-iwidgets                                 Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl-tix                                      Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl-tk                                       Yaakov Selkowitz
>     tcl-togl                                     Yaakov Selkowitz
>
> And - since I'm already maintaining SQLite, I can do the mingw64 variants
> of SQLite too:
>     mingw64-i686-sqlite3                         Yaakov Selkowitz
>     mingw64-x86_64-sqlite3                       Yaakov Selkowitz
>
> In one month or so, Tcl 8.6.11 is expected, then I'll try to get the
> first builds going (assuming my contribution is accepted)
>
> Regards,
>      Jan Nijtmans
Thanks for volunteering!  I changed the above package maintainerships
in cygwin-pkg-main accordingly.


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Corinna Vinschen-2
In reply to this post by cygwin-apps mailing list
On Mar 20 06:04, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> Am 20.03.2020 um 04:47 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> > Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
> > [...]
> > To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> > packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> > all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> > be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> > bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> > is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> > strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
> > [...]
> > Yaakov
> >
>
> Hi Yaakov,
> thanks of letting us know.
> I guess that most of us clearly understood that work took over
> and as you have clearly a talent to make stuff work together
> I am not surprised that Redhat is using that to full speed.
>
> So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
> Marco
>
> PS for all the others:
> "Houston we have a problem.."
The understatement of the year :}


Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Jon TURNEY
In reply to this post by Yaakov Selkowitz
On 20/03/2020 03:47, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
[...]
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.

It's been a pleasure working with you (since 2008!).  Thanks for all
your hard work over the years!

I will volunteer to adopt the X.org packages (note by this I really mean
stuff that comes from X.org, it doesn't include toolkits like Qt or
GTK+, or desktop environments like MATE or XFCE)

I'll also volunteer to take over maintainership of cygport, if you don't
have other plans for that.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Jon TURNEY
In reply to this post by Corinna Vinschen-2
On 20/03/2020 10:19, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> There's no number of goldstars or plush hippos which would do justice to
> what you did for Cygwin, Yaakov.  If there's something like the ULTIMATE
> PLUSH HIPPO REPLACING EVRY OTHER PLUSH HIPPO, you should get it.

So what you are saying is a Pink Plush Hippo Kaiju? :)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
In reply to this post by Yaakov Selkowitz
Am 20.03.2020 um 04:47 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>

>
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>

I am planning to update all the packages left behind
by the Perl update
(Except if Achim is interested in them)

perl-GD                 Already Updated
perl-Glib already built

perl-Alien-wxWidgets
perl-Cairo
perl-Cairo-GObject
perl-GStreamer1
perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
perl-Gnome2
perl-Gnome2-Canvas
perl-Gnome2-GConf
perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
perl-Gnome2-VFS
perl-Gnome2-Vte
perl-Gnome2-Wnck
perl-Gtk2
perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
perl-Gtk2-Notify
perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
perl-Gtk2-Spell
perl-Gtk2-Unique
perl-Gtk2-WebKit
perl-Gtk3
perl-Pango
perl-SGMLSpm
perl-Wx


perl-Win32-GUI   Do we need it ?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
In reply to this post by Yaakov Selkowitz
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 22:03, Yaakov Selkowitz <> wrote:

> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>
> <snip>
>
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>


> <snip>
>

I will pickup the mingw64-i686-expat and mingw64-x86_64-expat packages, as
I currently maintain the expat package

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Achim Gratz
In reply to this post by cygwin-apps mailing list
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I am planning to update all the packages left behind
> by the Perl update
> (Except if Achim is interested in them)

I can take them unless they pull in a huge stack of dependencies I don't
already have anyway.  Again I think that rules out the Gtk/Gnome stuff.
I know next to nothing about Wx, I think the dependency chain is
manageable, but I haven't looked at what testing the distribution
entails.  I think I have built SGMLSpm in the past locally, I have to
check.

> perl-GD                 Already Updated
> perl-Glib already built
>
> perl-Alien-wxWidgets
> perl-Cairo
> perl-Cairo-GObject
> perl-GStreamer1
> perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
> perl-Gnome2
> perl-Gnome2-Canvas
> perl-Gnome2-GConf
> perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
> perl-Gnome2-VFS
> perl-Gnome2-Vte
> perl-Gnome2-Wnck
> perl-Gtk2
> perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
> perl-Gtk2-Notify
> perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
> perl-Gtk2-Spell
> perl-Gtk2-Unique
> perl-Gtk2-WebKit
> perl-Gtk3
> perl-Pango
> perl-SGMLSpm
> perl-Wx
>
>
> perl-Win32-GUI   Do we need it ?

The last time we tried to drop it there was a complaint IIRC.  I have no
idea if it still works, I thihnk it needs a few pretty invasive patches
(from memory, which may be wrong).  I have built myself before, but then
it broke and Yaakov made it work again so I'm not really sure what to do
about it.  It doesn't really fit in with what Cygwin tries to do (IIRC
it comes from Strawberry Perl, which is Windows native).


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldSamplesExtra
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 20/03/2020 17:32, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> I am planning to update all the packages left behind
>> by the Perl update
>> (Except if Achim is interested in them)
> I can take them unless they pull in a huge stack of dependencies I don't
> already have anyway.  Again I think that rules out the Gtk/Gnome stuff.
> I know next to nothing about Wx, I think the dependency chain is
> manageable, but I haven't looked at what testing the distribution
> entails.  I think I have built SGMLSpm in the past locally, I have to
> check.
>
>> perl-GD                 Already Updated
>> perl-Glib already built
>>
>> perl-Alien-wxWidgets
>> perl-Cairo
>> perl-Cairo-GObject
>> perl-GStreamer1
>> perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
>> perl-Gnome2
>> perl-Gnome2-Canvas
>> perl-Gnome2-GConf
>> perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
>> perl-Gnome2-VFS
>> perl-Gnome2-Vte
>> perl-Gnome2-Wnck
>> perl-Gtk2
>> perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
>> perl-Gtk2-Notify
>> perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
>> perl-Gtk2-Spell
>> perl-Gtk2-Unique
>> perl-Gtk2-WebKit
>> perl-Gtk3
>> perl-Pango
>> perl-SGMLSpm
>> perl-Wx
>>
>>
>> perl-Win32-GUI   Do we need it ?
> The last time we tried to drop it there was a complaint IIRC.  I have no
> idea if it still works, I thihnk it needs a few pretty invasive patches
> (from memory, which may be wrong).  I have built myself before, but then
> it broke and Yaakov made it work again so I'm not really sure what to do
> about it.  It doesn't really fit in with what Cygwin tries to do (IIRC
> it comes from Strawberry Perl, which is Windows native).
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
Note: I forgot to say, but I'm happy to do wxwidgets as well.

Hamish


0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Yaakov Selkowitz
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz
On Fri, 2020-03-20 at 18:32 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
> > I am planning to update all the packages left behind
> > by the Perl update
> > (Except if Achim is interested in them)
>
> I can take them unless they pull in a huge stack of dependencies I don't
> already have anyway.  Again I think that rules out the Gtk/Gnome stuff.
> I know next to nothing about Wx, I think the dependency chain is
> manageable, but I haven't looked at what testing the distribution
> entails.  I think I have built SGMLSpm in the past locally, I have to
> check.

Wx is a binding on wxWidgets3.0, which is GTK+ based, so if you don't
want Gtk2 et al you probably don't want that either.

SGMLSpm is standalone and straight-forward.

> > perl-GD                 Already Updated
> > perl-Glib already built
> >
> > perl-Alien-wxWidgets
> > perl-Cairo
> > perl-Cairo-GObject
> > perl-GStreamer1
> > perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
> > perl-Gnome2
> > perl-Gnome2-Canvas
> > perl-Gnome2-GConf
> > perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
> > perl-Gnome2-VFS
> > perl-Gnome2-Vte
> > perl-Gnome2-Wnck
> > perl-Gtk2
> > perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
> > perl-Gtk2-Notify
> > perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
> > perl-Gtk2-Spell
> > perl-Gtk2-Unique
> > perl-Gtk2-WebKit
> > perl-Gtk3
> > perl-Pango
> > perl-SGMLSpm
> > perl-Wx
> >
> > perl-Win32-GUI   Do we need it ?
>
> The last time we tried to drop it there was a complaint IIRC.  I have no
> idea if it still works, I thihnk it needs a few pretty invasive patches
> (from memory, which may be wrong).  I have built myself before, but then
> it broke and Yaakov made it work again so I'm not really sure what to do
> about it.  It doesn't really fit in with what Cygwin tries to do (IIRC
> it comes from Strawberry Perl, which is Windows native).

I'd have to go back and look as to why it was wanted/needed.  I'd say
if it still builds and works with my changes, then ship it, if not,
either let someone else pick it up, or drop it.

--
Yaakov


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

cygwin-apps mailing list
In reply to this post by Achim Gratz
Am 20.03.2020 um 18:32 schrieb Achim Gratz:

> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> I am planning to update all the packages left behind
>> by the Perl update
>> (Except if Achim is interested in them)
>
> I can take them unless they pull in a huge stack of dependencies I don't
> already have anyway.  Again I think that rules out the Gtk/Gnome stuff.
> I know next to nothing about Wx, I think the dependency chain is
> manageable, but I haven't looked at what testing the distribution
> entails.  I think I have built SGMLSpm in the past locally, I have to
> check.
>

I already built

perl-GLIB
perl-Cairo

you can find them here
http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86/release/
http://matzeri.altervista.org/x86_64/release/

but perl-Pango is failing

[ LD blib/arch/auto/Pango/Pango.dll ]
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/9.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
xs/PangoCairo.o: in function `gtk2perl_pango_cairo_shape_renderer_func':
/usr/src/debug/perl-Pango-1.227-3/xs/PangoCairo.xs:44: undefined
reference to `cairo_reference'
/usr/src/debug/perl-Pango-1.227-3/xs/PangoCairo.xs:44:(.text+0x21e):
relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol
`cairo_reference'

for what I see cairo_reference is in /usr/lib/libcairo.dll.a
So I am blocked and you can take over

Regards
Marco

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Thomas Wolff
In reply to this post by Jon TURNEY
Am 20.03.2020 um 13:09 schrieb Jon Turney:

> On 20/03/2020 03:47, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
> [...]
>> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
>> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
>> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
>> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
>> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
>> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
>> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>
> It's been a pleasure working with you (since 2008!).  Thanks for all
> your hard work over the years!
>
> I will volunteer to adopt the X.org packages (note by this I really
> mean stuff that comes from X.org, it doesn't include toolkits like Qt
> or GTK+, or desktop environments like MATE or XFCE)
I can offer to adopt xterm, unicode-ucd and
unicode-cldr-emoji-annotation, generalizing the latter to unicode-cldr.
Thomas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Putting packages up for adoption

Jon TURNEY
On 21/03/2020 12:47, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Am 20.03.2020 um 13:09 schrieb Jon Turney:
>> On 20/03/2020 03:47, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>>> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>> [...]
>>> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
>>> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
>>> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
>>> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
>>> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
>>> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
>>> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>>
>> It's been a pleasure working with you (since 2008!).  Thanks for all
>> your hard work over the years!
>>
>> I will volunteer to adopt the X.org packages (note by this I really
>> mean stuff that comes from X.org, it doesn't include toolkits like Qt
>> or GTK+, or desktop environments like MATE or XFCE)
> I can offer to adopt xterm, unicode-ucd and
> unicode-cldr-emoji-annotation, generalizing the latter to unicode-cldr.
> Thomas

I moved maintainership of those packages to you.

I guess unicode-cldr also needs adding, obsoleting
unicode-cldr-emoji-annotation, but we can discuss that when you are
ready to upload.

Thanks.
1234