Problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3

Problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3

Cygwin list mailing list
Anybody else having problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3?
Specifically, having loaded a text file (DOS- or Unix-terminated) for editing and having used
Ctrl-K to delete a line, then subsequent cursor movements are all over the place (sorry for
non-technical description - cursor does not follow keyboard direction) and subsequent
hotkey commands (Ctrl-K for more deletions, Ctrl-U to paste) are annulled.
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

RE: Problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3

Cygwin list mailing list
>> Anybody else having problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3?

Further to above, and a bit different:
I downloaded the current nano-4.9.tgz from source, extracted the source files and  within Cygwin ran the
./configure .. .. make .. .. make install trio.
Perfect glich-free installation showing the new nano executable and support files located in /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/local/share/.
(NB the Cygwin-provided nano v.4.3 installation remains in place.)
The command
$ echo $PATH
returns
/home/user/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
(so /usr/local/bin/ precedes /usr/bin/ as required)
and the command
# which nano
returns
/usr/local/bin/nano
(as expected)
BUT: the command
$ nano --version
returns
GNU nano, version 4.3
which is not what is required, referring to the original and not the later installation; and the command
$ nano anynamedtextfile
reveals on screen that nano v.4.3 not v.4.9 is being used.
Q1 Am I doing / thinking / remembering something daft about command hierarchies, or should the expected v.4.9 be the one obtained (which it isn't)?
Q2 Should I _necessarily_ uninstall the original v.4.3 - and if so, why, given the expected priority usages?
Thank you!

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3

Brian Inglis
On 2020-03-26 06:38, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:

>>> Anybody else having problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3?
>
> Further to above, and a bit different:
> I downloaded the current nano-4.9.tgz from source, extracted the source files and  within Cygwin ran the
> ./configure .. .. make .. .. make install trio.
> Perfect glich-free installation showing the new nano executable and support files located in /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/local/share/.
> (NB the Cygwin-provided nano v.4.3 installation remains in place.)
> The command
> $ echo $PATH
> returns
> /home/user/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> (so /usr/local/bin/ precedes /usr/bin/ as required)
> and the command
> # which nano
> returns
> /usr/local/bin/nano
> (as expected)
> BUT: the command
> $ nano --version
> returns
> GNU nano, version 4.3
> which is not what is required, referring to the original and not the later installation; and the command
> $ nano anynamedtextfile
> reveals on screen that nano v.4.3 not v.4.9 is being used.
> Q1 Am I doing / thinking / remembering something daft about command hierarchies, or should the expected v.4.9 be the one obtained (which it isn't)?
> Q2 Should I _necessarily_ uninstall the original v.4.3 - and if so, why, given the expected priority usages?
> Thank you!

If using bash as your SHELL, enter:

        $ command -V nano # lists what will execute

        $ type -a nano # lists aliases, functions, exes in PATH

and it should tell you if there are any aliases or functions fronting your nano;
also you can run the nano exe using:

        $ command nano # runs exes in PATH
and
        $ /usr/local/bin/nano # runs exe at path

and see what version you get in each case.

Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

RE: Problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3

>>> Anybody else having problems with cursor position and hotkey commands in nano v.4.3?

>> I downloaded the current nano-4.9.tgz .. BUT: the command $ nano --version returns GNU nano, version 4.3

> $ type -a nano # lists aliases, functions, exes in PATH

You got it, thank you. My reporting error.
BTW nano v.4.9 is behaving properly in the way that (here, at least) nano v.4.3 was not.