Problem: sigrelse() in winsup but not defined in signal.h

Problem: sigrelse() in winsup but not defined in signal.h

Scott Finneran
Hello,

I am trying to compile something under cygwin but am hitting a snag with
sigrelse(). I am running the latest binary downloaded by setup.exe.

It appears to be defined in winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc (in CVS) but is
not declared in signal.h so of course the compile fails.

Is there any reason for this?

Cheers,

Scott
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

Re: Problem: sigrelse() in winsup but not defined in signal.h

Igor Peshansky
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Scott Finneran wrote:

> I am trying to compile something under cygwin but am hitting a snag with
> sigrelse(). I am running the latest binary downloaded by setup.exe.

Please see <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for instructions on reporting
your Cygwin version properly.  However...

> It appears to be defined in winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc (in CVS) but is not
> declared in signal.h so of course the compile fails.
>
> Is there any reason for this?

There were some changes in CVS since the last official Cygwin release.
Try installing a full snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/> (make
sure to get the -inst tarball, which includes the headers).
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

Re: Problem: sigrelse() in winsup but not defined in signal.h

Scott Finneran
Hello Igor,

Thankyou for your reply. Firstly, yes I should have done a bit more
reading before posting. I did as you suggested and downloaded the latest
snapshot (winsup-src-20051108).

The problem that I experienced before still exists in the latest
snapshot. sigrelse() is defined in winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc but is
not declared in signal.h (sighold() etc. are all declared here).

Producing a patch to fix this issue is a trivial task which I am more
than happy to do. However, as this situation (defined but not declared)
is such a show-stopper and cygwin always seems to be well tested I
assumed that it was not a bug but some kind of a feature.

In other words, is the function implemented but not defined
intentionally to prevent people from using it for some unspecified reason?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Scott Finneran wrote:
>

>>I am trying to compile something under cygwin but am hitting a snag with
>>sigrelse(). I am running the latest binary downloaded by setup.exe.
>

> Please see <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for instructions on reporting
> your Cygwin version properly.  However...
>

>>It appears to be defined in winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc (in CVS) but is not
>>declared in signal.h so of course the compile fails.
>>
>>Is there any reason for this?
>

> There were some changes in CVS since the last official Cygwin release.
> Try installing a full snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/> (make
> sure to get the -inst tarball, which includes the headers).
> HTH,
> Igor
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

Re: Problem: sigrelse() in winsup but not defined in signal.h

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 10 13:33, Scott Finneran wrote:

> Hello Igor,
>
> Thankyou for your reply. Firstly, yes I should have done a bit more
> reading before posting. I did as you suggested and downloaded the latest
> snapshot (winsup-src-20051108).
>
> The problem that I experienced before still exists in the latest
> snapshot. sigrelse() is defined in winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc but is
> not declared in signal.h (sighold() etc. are all declared here).
>
> Producing a patch to fix this issue is a trivial task which I am more
> than happy to do. However, as this situation (defined but not declared)
> is such a show-stopper and cygwin always seems to be well tested I
> assumed that it was not a bug but some kind of a feature.
>
> In other words, is the function implemented but not defined
> intentionally to prevent people from using it for some unspecified reason?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.

See my reply to cygwin-patches.  It was just a missing prototype.

Red Hat, Inc.