Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1

Dr. Volker Zell
Hi

Please upload at your earliest convinience


-------------------------------- cut here ------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

mkdir tzcode

cd tzcode
wget http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/setup.hint
wget http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/tzcode-2005r-1-src.tar.bz2
wget http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/tzcode-2005r-1.tar.bz2
-------------------------------- cut here ------------------------------------


DESCRIPTION:
============
The time zone package


CYGWIN NEWS:
============

 * Update to latest upstream release
 * Removed dependency of pdksh in favour of bash
 
tzcode/tzdata NEWS
==================

 * Sorry no changelog available. You have to do the diff yourself.    


Thanks
  Volker


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1

Christopher Faylor-2
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:53:58PM +0100, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>Hi
>
>Please upload at your earliest convinience
>
>
>-------------------------------- cut here ------------------------------------
>#!/bin/bash
>
>mkdir tzcode
>
>cd tzcode
>wget http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/setup.hint
>wget http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/tzcode-2005r-1-src.tar.bz2
>wget http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/tzcode-2005r-1.tar.bz2
>-------------------------------- cut here ------------------------------------
>
>
>DESCRIPTION:
>============
>The time zone package
>
>
>CYGWIN NEWS:
>============
>
> * Update to latest upstream release
> * Removed dependency of pdksh in favour of bash
>  
>tzcode/tzdata NEWS
>==================
>
> * Sorry no changelog available. You have to do the diff yourself.    

Uploaded.

Btw, the download script is appreciated but, once again, there is no
reason to add any additional verbiage to an upload request.  Some of
the above is more appropriate for the eventual announcement.

Please, everyone, just keep these upload requests as short as possible.  It
reduces the possibility that someone (i.e., me) will miss something if the
only thing in the request is a bunch of URLs.

cgf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1

Christopher Faylor-2
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:15:32PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Please, everyone, just keep these upload requests as short as possible.  It
>reduces the possibility that someone (i.e., me) will miss something if the
>only thing in the request is a bunch of URLs.

Having just reread the above, and knowing how these things work, let me
clarify.

In these email messages, I would prefer to *just* see the URLs required
to update a cywgin package.  Please do not include any other information
in the request other than that, with the possible exception of a wget
script for retrieving the packages.

cgf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Please upload" email guidelines (was Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1)

Christopher Faylor-2
On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 04:54:06PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:15:32PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Please, everyone, just keep these upload requests as short as possible.  It
>>reduces the possibility that someone (i.e., me) will miss something if the
>>only thing in the request is a bunch of URLs.
>
>Having just reread the above, and knowing how these things work, let me
>clarify.
>
>In these email messages, I would prefer to *just* see the URLs required
>to update a cywgin package.  Please do not include any other information
>in the request other than that, with the possible exception of a wget
>script for retrieving the packages.

Uh oh.  By "these email messages", I mean the "please upload" email
messages.  Other types of messages, like ITP or setup bug reports or
discussions about GBS can and should have all sorts of nice prose.

In fact, if someone wants to create a nice script for generating these
messages which incorporates wget to produce the desired directory
structure on sourceware for easy retrieval of new packages, that would
be great.

What I'd like is something that produces the package directory and any
required subdirectories.

So, a "please upload" could be nothing other than the shell script that
Volker sent in his OP.  Then a package uploader could cut and paste that
and run it on sourceware to retrieve the packages.  If every package
upload request had this type of thing it would reduce the possibility of
error when uploading.

cgf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1

Dr. Volker Zell
In reply to this post by Dr. Volker Zell
>>>>> Kelley Cook writes:

    >> wget
    > http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/setup.hint
    >> wget
    > http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/tzcode-2005r-1-src.tar.bz2
    >> wget
    > http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/tzcode/tzcode-2005r-1.tar.bz2

    > Hi Volker,

    > Is there a reason that this package was compiled using an older version
    > of tzdata (tzdata2005i), which is unaware of the upcoming 2007 US
    > daylight savings time boondoggle^Wchange.

The reason is a packaging bug on my side. I will upload a new version
soon. Thanks for the report.

    > Kelley Cook

Ciao
  Volker


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Please upload" email guidelines (was Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1)

Lapo Luchini-2
In reply to this post by Christopher Faylor-2
Christopher Faylor wrote:
> So, a "please upload" could be nothing other than the shell script that
> Volker sent in his OP.  Then a package uploader could cut and paste that
> and run it on sourceware to retrieve the packages.  If every package
> upload request had this type of thing it would reduce the possibility of
> error when uploading.
>  
If the server has directory traversal and all is in a subdir, then the
script would be a one-liner and not necessary at all, of course... is
that it?

  Lapo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Please upload" email guidelines (was Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1)

Igor Peshansky
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > So, a "please upload" could be nothing other than the shell script that
> > Volker sent in his OP.  Then a package uploader could cut and paste that
> > and run it on sourceware to retrieve the packages.  If every package
> > upload request had this type of thing it would reduce the possibility of
> > error when uploading.
>
> If the server has directory traversal and all is in a subdir, then the
> script would be a one-liner and not necessary at all, of course... is
> that it?

If someone wanted to review the tarballs in your upload request
individually, it would help to have one URL per tarball.  So, even if you
have directory traversal set, please include the tarball URLs for those of
us who would like to click on the links in the message, rather than run
the script.

Besides, your script will pull in the "prev" version tarballs...
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!)
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

"Las! je suis sot... -Mais non, tu ne l'es pas, puisque tu t'en rends compte."
"But no -- you are no fool; you call yourself a fool, there's proof enough in
that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Please upload" email guidelines (was Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1)

Christopher Faylor-2
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:33:26PM -0500, Igor Peshansky wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>So, a "please upload" could be nothing other than the shell script that
>>>Volker sent in his OP.  Then a package uploader could cut and paste
>>>that and run it on sourceware to retrieve the packages.  If every
>>>package upload request had this type of thing it would reduce the
>>>possibility of error when uploading.
>>
>>If the server has directory traversal and all is in a subdir, then the
>>script would be a one-liner and not necessary at all, of course...  is
>>that it?
>
>If someone wanted to review the tarballs in your upload request
>individually, it would help to have one URL per tarball.  So, even if
>you have directory traversal set, please include the tarball URLs for
>those of us who would like to click on the links in the message, rather
>than run the script.

Upload requests are sent to the list for one reason only - so that the files
can be uploaded.  They are not for the convenience of someone who wants to
get an advance look at what's new or check out the packaging.  The package
maintainer has already gone through the effort of getting their package right
so we don't ask for reviews on upload requests.

So, an upload request is not an ITP or a "please review".  Please lets
not confuse them.

>Besides, your script will pull in the "prev" version tarballs...

If using a recursive wget would pull in exactly the needed files then
posting the correct wget command would be appreciated.  Otherwise, we
obviously don't want to re-upload files that are already on
sourceware.org.  The intent here is to streamline the whole operation.

cgf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Please upload" email guidelines (was Re: Please upload: tzcode-2005r-1)

Lapo Luchini-2
Christopher Faylor wrote:
> If using a recursive wget would pull in exactly the needed files then
> posting the correct wget command would be appreciated.  Otherwise, we
> obviously don't want to re-upload files that are already on
> sourceware.org.
I'll take care to delete old files before posting, in the future.

   Lapo