PerlTk under Cygwin?

Andrew DeFaria-2
I tried to install Tk for Perl using CPAN by:

$ perl -MCPAN -e "install Tk"

However it fails with:

In file included from ../pTk/tkWinPort.h:19,
                 from ../pTk/tkPort.h:28,
                 from Xlib.xs:7:
../pTk/mTk/xlib/X11/Xlib.h:1206:35: ../pTk/tkIntXlibDecls.h: No such
file or directory
make[1]: *** [Xlib.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/dev/p/.cpan/build/Tk-804.027/Xlib'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
  /bin/make  -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Has anybody managed to install Tk for Perl running under Cygwin?
--
There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

J. David Boyd-2
Andrew DeFaria <[hidden email]> writes:

> I tried to install Tk for Perl using CPAN by:
>
> $ perl -MCPAN -e "install Tk"
>
> However it fails with:
>
> In file included from ../pTk/tkWinPort.h:19,
>                  from ../pTk/tkPort.h:28,
>                  from Xlib.xs:7:
> ../pTk/mTk/xlib/X11/Xlib.h:1206:35: ../pTk/tkIntXlibDecls.h: No such
> file or directory
> make[1]: *** [Xlib.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/dev/p/.cpan/build/Tk-804.027/Xlib'
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
>   /bin/make  -- NOT OK
> Running make test
>   Can't test without successful make
> Running make install
>   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>
> Has anybody managed to install Tk for Perl running under Cygwin?
> --
> There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

I don't think this has worked since Cygwin went from XOrg to XFree, or vice
versa, which ever it was, as I used to be able to build it, but no longer
could, right after the switch.

Dave

RE: Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Bruce Dobrin
Don't know if you have solved this yet,  but there is a special build
that does indeed work.
It is a version of tk800.025 with a patch.  I can't find it right now
but I found it with a bit of digging about 2 weeks ago.  There was a
tk800.024 for native win  and tk804.xx for X11.  they both seem to work
after the requesit playing with rebase....

I believe I got it from sourceforge:
Cygwin port maintained by: Yaakov Selkowitz
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cygwin-ports/

> I tried to install Tk for Perl using CPAN by:
>
> $ perl -MCPAN -e "install Tk"
>
> However it fails with:
>
> In file included from ../pTk/tkWinPort.h:19,
>                  from ../pTk/tkPort.h:28,
>                  from Xlib.xs:7:
> ../pTk/mTk/xlib/X11/Xlib.h:1206:35: ../pTk/tkIntXlibDecls.h: No such
> file or directory
> make[1]: *** [Xlib.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/dev/p/.cpan/build/Tk-804.027/Xlib'
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
>   /bin/make  -- NOT OK
> Running make test
>   Can't test without successful make
> Running make install
>   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>
> Has anybody managed to install Tk for Perl running under Cygwin?
> --
> There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

I don't think this has worked since Cygwin went from XOrg to XFree, or
vice
versa, which ever it was, as I used to be able to build it, but no
longer
could, right after the switch.

Dave

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

RE: PerlTk under Cygwin?

David Christensen
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Has anybody managed to install Tk for Perl running under Cygwin?

I've beaten my head against Perl/TK on Cygwin repeatedly over the years.  The
only way I succeeded was to use ActivePerl and keep it isolated from Cygwin --
basically, use the Cygwin environment for editing and use Command Prompt,
Windows Explorer, etc., to launch ActivePerl scripts.

HTH,

David

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Andrew DeFaria-2
David Christensen wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Has anybody managed to install Tk for Perl running under Cygwin?
>
> I've beaten my head against Perl/TK on Cygwin repeatedly over the
> years. The only way I succeeded was to use ActivePerl and keep it
> isolated from Cygwin -- basically, use the Cygwin environment for
> editing and use Command Prompt, Windows Explorer, etc., to launch
> ActivePerl scripts.

Oh I often work as a Clearcase administrator and Clearcase comes with
it's own, ActiveState based Perl called ccperl. I've been using that
develop a PerlTk based application. However I much prefer the Cygwin
environment over a cmd prompt. ActiveState Perl doesn't handle windows
that use ptys such as rxvt and so doing ccperl -d <my PerlTk script>
does not work under rxvt. Also, that debugger doesn't seem to use
ReadLine thus command history and editing in the Perl debugger is
different, etc. Plus I'm not always at a place with Clearcase installed.
I don't have Clearcase installed on my home computer, for example.

It would be good if PerlTk could work from Cygwin's Perl (and perhaps
even have a package in Cygwin's setup.exe to install it or have it
installed by default). At the very least PerlTk should be installable
from CPAN and be able to be built/made so that it's usable.

After using PerlTk a little bit I'm finding that this PerlTk thing could
be very useful to me as I've never gotten into the monolithic MS Visual
Studio and C++ or C# way of building GUI apps. I'm much more comfortable
in Perl...

RE: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Thrall, Bryan
Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:44 PM:

> Bruce Dobrin wrote:
>> Well, obsolete or not, the tk800.025 for win32 from sourceforge is
>> building and working on 1.5.18  with it's perl5.8.5.  Any chance a
>> non-obsolete version for win32 anytime? We use this native a lot.
>
> 804.x doesn't build for Win32, and as X11 was working with only a
> minor patch and I didn't care either way, I decided to stop
>  supporting Win32. You could take the source tarball from there and
> try recompiling with the current perl and see how that works for you.
>

> Yaakov
> Cygwin Ports

I'm curious about the patch you mention, since I maintain an internal
PerlTk Cygwin package for my company, and I haven't had any problems
OOTB (the last version I built was 804.027 against perl 5.8.7).

And I'd love to have PerlTk officially packaged :-)

--
Bryan Thrall
FlightSafety International

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Christopher Faylor-2
On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:38:26AM -0600, Thrall, Bryan wrote:

>Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:44 PM:
>>Bruce Dobrin wrote:
>>>Well, obsolete or not, the tk800.025 for win32 from sourceforge is
>>>building and working on 1.5.18 with it's perl5.8.5.  Any chance a
>>>non-obsolete version for win32 anytime?  We use this native a lot.
>>
>>804.x doesn't build for Win32, and as X11 was working with only a minor
>>patch and I didn't care either way, I decided to stop supporting Win32.
>>You could take the source tarball from there and try recompiling with
>>the current perl and see how that works for you.
>
>I'm curious about the patch you mention, since I maintain an internal
>PerlTk Cygwin package for my company, and I haven't had any problems
>OOTB (the last version I built was 804.027 against perl 5.8.7).
>
>And I'd love to have PerlTk officially packaged :-)

If you're building it OOTB, you're only a couple of steps away from
being a package maintainer.  Want to volunteer?

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Gerrit P. Haase-2
Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:38:26AM -0600, Thrall, Bryan wrote:
>
>>And I'd love to have PerlTk officially packaged :-)
>

> If you're building it OOTB, you're only a couple of steps away from
> being a package maintainer.  Want to volunteer?

Indeed, it builds, not entirely OOTB, there are some include paths
missing, I fixed it by copying one header to two other locations, then
it works.

I could include it in the main distribution (as separate tarball of
course).  The build just last some minutes longer then, so it is no
issue for me.

However, I'm not using it myself so I would be no good maintainer.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Gerrit P. Haase
Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:38:26AM -0600, Thrall, Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> And I'd love to have PerlTk officially packaged :-)
>>

>> If you're building it OOTB, you're only a couple of steps away from
>> being a package maintainer.  Want to volunteer?
>

> Indeed, it builds, not entirely OOTB, there are some include paths
> missing, I fixed it by copying one header to two other locations, then
> it works.
>
> I could include it in the main distribution (as separate tarball of
> course).  The build just last some minutes longer then, so it is no
> issue for me.
>
> However, I'm not using it myself so I would be no good maintainer.

And, besides it builds without errors I cannot run the test, nearly
all tests are failing for me.  Sigh!

Gerrit

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Gerrit P. Haase
Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> If you're building it OOTB, you're only a couple of steps away from
>>> being a package maintainer.  Want to volunteer?
>> Indeed, it builds, not entirely OOTB, there are some include paths
>> missing, I fixed it by copying one header to two other locations, then
>> it works.
> And, besides it builds without errors I cannot run the test, nearly
> all tests are failing for me.  Sigh!

My fix was wrong, the requested header is not to be included and the
build went fine too.  With the fix from Yaakov I get only few errors
when running the testsuite.  create.t seems to hang.  The widget demo
does not act properly, e.g. when running the first demo.

Yaakov, what are your test results?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

RE: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Thrall, Bryan
Gerrit P. Haase wrote on Friday, November 18, 2005 6:56 AM:
> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>
>> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Well, since Yaakov beat me to the punch ... :-)

>>> Indeed, it builds, not entirely OOTB, there are some include paths
>>> missing, I fixed it by copying one header to two other locations,
>>> then it works.
>> And, besides it builds without errors I cannot run the test, nearly
>> all tests are failing for me.  Sigh!
>
> My fix was wrong, the requested header is not to be included and the
> build went fine too.  With the fix from Yaakov I get only few errors
> when running the testsuite.  create.t seems to hang.  The widget demo
> does not act properly, e.g. when running the first demo.
>
> Yaakov, what are your test results?
>

> Gerrit
> --
> =^..^=

Unfortunately, I'm under time constraints right now, so I won't be able
to test PerlTk until about a week from Monday. I'll let you know how it
goes then.

Thanks for putting this out, Yaakov!

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> My fix was wrong, the requested header is not to be included and the
> build went fine too.  With the fix from Yaakov I get only few errors
> when running the testsuite.  create.t seems to hang.

create.t hangs by me also.  In the results below, I killed that process
so the tests would continue.

> The widget demo does not act properly, e.g. when running the first demo.

To which demo are you referring?  The Widget Demonstration
($top_srcdir/demos/widget) seems to run properly.

> Yaakov, what are your test results?

t/after......................ok
t/autoload...................ok
t/balloon....................ok
t/browseentry-grabtest.......ok
t/browseentry-subclassing....ok
t/browseentry................ok
t/browseentry2...............ok
t/button.....................ok
t/create.....................dubious
Test returned status 0 (wstat 15, 0xf)
DIED. FAILED tests 356-528
Failed 173/528 tests, 67.23% okay
t/cursor.....................ok
t/dash.......................ok
t/dialogbox..................ok
t/entry......................ok
15/336 skipped: various reasons
t/fbox.......................ok
t/fileevent..................ok
t/fileselect.................ok
t/font.......................ok
t/fork.......................ok
t/geomgr.....................ok
t/iso8859-1..................ok
t/JP.........................skipped
all skipped: locale's 'ascii' cannot represent Japanese.
t/KR.........................skipped
all skipped: locale's 'ascii' cannot represent Korean.
t/leak.......................ok
t/list.......................ok
t/listbox....................ok
4/437 skipped: various reasons, 3/437 unexpectedly succeeded
t/listvar....................ok
t/magic......................ok
t/mega.......................ok
t/mwm........................ok
t/optmenu....................ok
t/photo......................ok
4/100 skipped: various reasons
t/pixmap.....................ok
t/progbar....................ok
t/regexp.....................ok
t/Require....................ok
t/slaves.....................ok
t/Trace......................ok
t/trace1.....................ok
t/widget.....................ok
t/wm-time....................ok
t/wm.........................ok
t/X..........................ok
t/zzHList....................ok
t/zzPhoto....................ok
t/zzScrolled.................ok
t/zzText.....................ok
t/zzTixGrid..................Failed 1/47 test scripts, 97.87% okay.
173/2054 subtests failed, 91.58% okay.
ok
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 14
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
-
t/create.t     0    15   528  346  65.53%  356-528
(3 subtests UNEXPECTEDLY SUCCEEDED), 2 tests and 23 subtests skipped.

Yaakov

Re: PerlTk under Cygwin?

Gerrit P. Haase