PTY not working in Mintty

Cygwin list mailing list
  Hello everyone!

  I have two machines in my posession: a desktop and a laptop. Both
machines have Windows 10 and the same up to date version of Cygwin
installed. The only difference is "age". The laptop is a new one, with
freshly installed OS and Cygwin, and the desktop is about one year old
and its hard drive is about 10 years old, Cygwin was installed a while
ago and periodically upgraded.

  So far, on the desktop PTY does not work. Attempt to run docker (i am
using Docker Desktop for Windows) causes "Terminal is not a PTY" error,
i have to use winpty wrapper as suggested. On the laptop everything is
fine, docker works in MinTTY out of the box with no need for winpty.

  Is there maybe some hidden setting, which got stuck somewhere in the
older system ? Why is PTY not working? Can anyone help me to diagnose that ?

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: PTY not working in Mintty

Cygwin list mailing list
Am 10.04.2020 um 14:05 schrieb Pavel Fedin via Cygwin:

>    Hello everyone!
>
>    I have two machines in my posession: a desktop and a laptop. Both
> machines have Windows 10 and the same up to date version of Cygwin
> installed. The only difference is "age". The laptop is a new one, with
> freshly installed OS and Cygwin, and the desktop is about one year old
> and its hard drive is about 10 years old, Cygwin was installed a while
> ago and periodically upgraded.
>
>    So far, on the desktop PTY does not work. Attempt to run docker (i am
> using Docker Desktop for Windows) causes "Terminal is not a PTY" error,
> i have to use winpty wrapper as suggested. On the laptop everything is
> fine, docker works in MinTTY out of the box with no need for winpty.
>
>    Is there maybe some hidden setting, which got stuck somewhere in the
> older system ? Why is PTY not working? Can anyone help me to diagnose that ?

Hi pavel,

what is the setting of CYGWIN variable ?

I suggest you to run

"cygcheck -svr > cygcheck.out" and compare the output files

No idea what is "Docker Desktop" but I suggest you to verify that you
are really running mintty with the same invocation in the two cases.

Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: PTY not working in Mintty

Thomas Wolff
Am 10.04.2020 um 14:24 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:

> Am 10.04.2020 um 14:05 schrieb Pavel Fedin via Cygwin:
>>    Hello everyone!
>>
>>    I have two machines in my posession: a desktop and a laptop. Both
>> machines have Windows 10 and the same up to date version of Cygwin
>> installed. The only difference is "age". The laptop is a new one, with
>> freshly installed OS and Cygwin, and the desktop is about one year old
>> and its hard drive is about 10 years old, Cygwin was installed a while
>> ago and periodically upgraded.
>>
>>    So far, on the desktop PTY does not work. Attempt to run docker (i am
>> using Docker Desktop for Windows) causes "Terminal is not a PTY" error,
>> i have to use winpty wrapper as suggested. On the laptop everything is
>> fine, docker works in MinTTY out of the box with no need for winpty.
>>
>>    Is there maybe some hidden setting, which got stuck somewhere in the
>> older system ? Why is PTY not working? Can anyone help me to diagnose
>> that ?

If your desktop Windows version is a bit older, it may not yet support
the ConPTY API, so cygwin will silently drop its own conpty support. You
might compare the build numbers (cmd /c ver, or winver).

Hi! On 10.04.2020 19:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> If your desktop Windows version is a bit older, it may not yet support
> the ConPTY API, so cygwin will silently drop its own conpty support.
> You might compare the build numbers (cmd /c ver, or winver).

  Just checked. Both systems report:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.720]

>> Hi pavel,
>>
>> what is the setting of CYGWIN variable ?
  It's empty.

>> I suggest you to run
>>
>> "cygcheck -svr > cygcheck.out" and compare the output files
  "Segmentation fault" on both systems.

>> No idea what is "Docker Desktop"
Docker ported to Windows using a virtual machine:
https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop
>> but I suggest you to verify that you are really running mintty with
>> the same invocation in the two cases.
  How to do that (other than above) ? I am really running it from "Start
menu" using "Cygwin" icon, that's it.

  Sorry Marco, was unable to answer you directly because for some reason
i haven't got the message. Neither privately nor via the ML.

  Kind regards.

Am 13.04.2020 um 09:58 schrieb Pavel Fedin:

> Hi! On 10.04.2020 19:21, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> If your desktop Windows version is a bit older, it may not yet support
>> the ConPTY API, so cygwin will silently drop its own conpty support.
>> You might compare the build numbers (cmd /c ver, or winver).
>
>    Just checked. Both systems report:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.720]
>

>>> Hi pavel,
>>>
>>> what is the setting of CYGWIN variable ?
>    It's empty.
>>>
>>> I suggest you to run
>>>
>>> "cygcheck -svr > cygcheck.out" and compare the output files
>    "Segmentation fault" on both systems.

that is really NOT normal

BLODA ?

>>> No idea what is "Docker Desktop"
> Docker ported to Windows using a virtual machine:
> https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop
>>> but I suggest you to verify that you are really running mintty with
>>> the same invocation in the two cases.
>    How to do that (other than above) ? I am really running it from "Start
> menu" using "Cygwin" icon, that's it.
>
>    Sorry Marco, was unable to answer you directly because for some reason
> i haven't got the message. Neither privately nor via the ML.

sometimes the mail servers do strange things..

On 13.04.2020 12:11, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>    "Segmentation fault" on both systems.
>
> that is really NOT normal
>
> BLODA ?

  Yes, these machines have some, and it's impossible to get rid of it.
It is installed according to The Supreme Leader's Order. Identical set,
by the way, yet on laptop PTY works and on desktop it doesn't.
Furthermore, winpty works; i don't think it does something drastically
different.

  Just tried to run on my home personal desktop, everything is fine
there, so definitely a BLODA.

  Is there any verbose logging to be turned on, which can shed some light ?