Oracle SQLPLUS and the latest release Kill a line (control U default) not working

Oracle SQLPLUS and the latest release Kill a line (control U default) not working

jsteifel
I have been a cygwin user since 2005. I have found it has saved me on a
windows system. I am an Oracle DBA, and working on *Nix has been my thing
until companies stopped providing workstations. So cygwin has been it.

My last update of cygwin was in 2014, so I am quite behind in updates.  I
pushed this out to over 300 systems I manage (all windows now). I built an
automated install, and it does what I want. More recently startring with Win
server 2016 , and now 2019 when using X I get a CMD window accompanying it
that doesn't close. And with being outdated, it was time to upgrade. I also
wanted iconv.

So I decide to build a fresh install, for the latest as of 3 weeks ago
(3/2/2020). Most everything is fine, but when using sqlplus either in an
xterm or in mintty my control U  (KILL) does not get fired off in sqlplus.
This always worked in the past.  I have played with stty for days it seems,
and cannot get sqlplus to kill the current line.

I have taken the approach of building a new test box, and installing the old
version of 2014 cygwin release. It does work with sqlplus. I then tried
upgrading but not all pieces, but now it's back to Kill not working. I have
set -o vi, set raw... I'm still at a loss for how to get it to pass through.
It works in my shell (btw mksh), not bash.

I think with the new cygwin, maybe there is some protection between apps
going on, that was not in place back in 2014.   but that is just a guess,
not from any knowledge.

Does anyone have the same problem, or have a solution.  I don't expect other
editor commands to work, but this one command is so useful, in clearing out
a garbage line.

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Oracle SQLPLUS and the latest release Kill a line (control U default) not working

Brian Inglis
On 2020-03-17 12:44, jsteifel wrote:

> I have been a cygwin user since 2005. I have found it has saved me on a
> windows system. I am an Oracle DBA, and working on *Nix has been my thing
> until companies stopped providing workstations. So cygwin has been it.
>
> My last update of cygwin was in 2014, so I am quite behind in updates.  I
> pushed this out to over 300 systems I manage (all windows now). I built an
> automated install, and it does what I want. More recently startring with Win
> server 2016 , and now 2019 when using X I get a CMD window accompanying it
> that doesn't close. And with being outdated, it was time to upgrade. I also
> wanted iconv.
>
> So I decide to build a fresh install, for the latest as of 3 weeks ago
> (3/2/2020). Most everything is fine, but when using sqlplus either in an
> xterm or in mintty my control U  (KILL) does not get fired off in sqlplus.
> This always worked in the past.  I have played with stty for days it seems,
> and cannot get sqlplus to kill the current line.
>
> I have taken the approach of building a new test box, and installing the old
> version of 2014 cygwin release. It does work with sqlplus. I then tried
> upgrading but not all pieces, but now it's back to Kill not working. I have
> set -o vi, set raw... I'm still at a loss for how to get it to pass through.
> It works in my shell (btw mksh), not bash.
>
> I think with the new cygwin, maybe there is some protection between apps
> going on, that was not in place back in 2014.   but that is just a guess,
> not from any knowledge.
>
> Does anyone have the same problem, or have a solution.  I don't expect other
> editor commands to work, but this one command is so useful, in clearing out
> a garbage line.

I think you now need to install winpty to handle Windows programs running in a
pty under mintty; check http://mintty.github.io/ and
https://github.com/mintty/mintty/wiki/Tips

Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Oracle SQLPLUS and the latest release Kill a line (control U default) not working

jsteifel
Thank you.
I'm surprised this hasn't been incorporated into the cygwin build. I guess
its not been offered.

Thanks.

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Oracle SQLPLUS and the latest release Kill a line (control U default) not working

jsteifel
I'm totally frustrated by this. I do not want to have to add this to all the
systems I have since I don't have a development env setup with compilers, I
am finding the shift key doesn't work at all.

I have an older version of cygwin, no problem. Why is it a problem now. Why
would the new code require this, yet the old works fine?

I am finding this new env to be more windows like in a few areas than Nix
like.

What is it that drove the developers to take this action and make it
incompatible with forked processes?

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Re: Oracle SQLPLUS and the latest release Kill a line (control U default) not working

Cygwin list mailing list
Am 30.04.2020 um 17:34 schrieb jsteifel:
> I'm totally frustrated by this. I do not want to have to add this to all the
> systems I have since I don't have a development env setup with compilers, I
> am finding the shift key doesn't work at all.

that is strange, can you clarify the conditions ?

> I have an older version of cygwin, no problem. Why is it a problem now. Why
> would the new code require this, yet the old works fine?
>
> I am finding this new env to be more windows like in a few areas than Nix
> like.
>
> What is it that drove the developers to take this action and make it
> incompatible with forked processes?

it is usually adding features or trying to correct mistakes,
unfortunately it is almost impossible to test all NOT cygwin
applications.

So about your problem:

- under Mintty, what setting are you using as Keyboard Features ?

- Are you runnign SQLPLUS locally or remote ?

- Have you tested the "set CYGWIN=disable_pcon" before running
Cygwin ?  https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

It will be nice to have a bit more of description of the problem
and of your Windows system
as mentioned on   https://cygwin.com/problems.html
please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment.