OpenSSH server on latest Windows 10

Jari Fredriksson
Hello!

I have used Cygwin and OpenSSH server from Windows 7 to these days with Windows 10.

In some late Windows update it seems that Microsoft has removed the "Cygwin sshd” -service all together!

I have not tried to reinstall it… Has anyone had similar happenings?

Br. Jarif

Re: OpenSSH server on latest Windows 10

Stephen John Smoogen
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:20, Jari Fredriksson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have used Cygwin and OpenSSH server from Windows 7 to these days with
> Windows 10.
>
> In some late Windows update it seems that Microsoft has removed the
> "Cygwin sshd” -service all together!

I don't think it removed it.. it just has its own ssh server which could be
running instead.

> I have not tried to reinstall it… Has anyone had similar happenings?
>
> Br. Jarif
>

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Stephen J Smoogen.

Re: OpenSSH server on latest Windows 10

Jari Fredriksson

> Stephen John Smoogen <[hidden email]> kirjoitti 8.1.2019 kello 23.33:
>
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:20, Jari Fredriksson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have used Cygwin and OpenSSH server from Windows 7 to these days with
>> Windows 10.
>>
>> In some late Windows update it seems that Microsoft has removed the
>> "Cygwin sshd” -service all together!
>>

> I don't think it removed it.. it just has its own ssh server which could be
> running instead.
>

>> I have not tried to reinstall it… Has anyone had similar happenings?
>>
>> Br. Jarif
>>

>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

It is indeed removed. There is no ”Cygwin sushi” service any more. I now installed the Windows 10 OpenSSH Server, which was not installed by default. I could not get it up and running either. I refuses to use the host key.

I have executed the Repair-SshdConfigPermission -FilePath C:\ProgramData\ssh\ssh_host_ed25519_key which says ”looks good” but

ssh-add C:\ProgramData\ssh\ssh_host_ed25519_key complaints WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE! and ssh does not start.

But that is not a Cygwin issue anyway…

I would prefer Cygwin ssh to get more Linux like experience, but WIn10 ssh will do if I only manage to start it…

Br. Jarif

Re: OpenSSH server on latest Windows 10

Erik Soderquist
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 11:56 PM Jari Fredriksson  wrote:
> It is indeed removed. There is no ”Cygwin sushi” service any more.

I have encountered this as well, but it seems very inconsistent.
People on this list who have tried to intentionally reproduce it have
been unable to.  At the same time, one of my systems is still broken
from the Windows Update, and I have been unable to get cygwin ssh
working again, and have zero interest in trying the Microsoft ssh.  I
have delayed updating other systems because of this.

-- Erik

Re: OpenSSH server on latest Windows 10

cyg Simple
On 1/9/2019 4:59 PM, Erik Soderquist wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 11:56 PM Jari Fredriksson  wrote:
>> It is indeed removed. There is no ”Cygwin sushi” service any more.
>
> I have encountered this as well, but it seems very inconsistent.
> People on this list who have tried to intentionally reproduce it have
> been unable to.  At the same time, one of my systems is still broken
> from the Windows Update, and I have been unable to get cygwin ssh
> working again, and have zero interest in trying the Microsoft ssh.  I
> have delayed updating other systems because of this.

IIRC, this was discussed last year with suggestions to rename the Cygwin
service as a work around the issue.

--
cyg Simple