OpenSSH: SSHD daemon (as SYSTEM) is partially broken

OpenSSH: SSHD daemon (as SYSTEM) is partially broken

TestUser1

It appears Cygwin SSHD's functionality is partially broke in the later
versions, where SSHD runs as SYSTEM (no longer cyg_server).

On reboot, any attempt to SSH into the server *before* any previous logon
attempt (RDP/locally/etc) is quickly denied:

   debug1: Offering public key: /home/<user>/.ssh/id_rsa
   debug3: send_pubkey_test
   debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
   Connection closed by <server_addr>

Once an RDP/local login is attempted, regardless of success/failure,
subsequent ssh attempts will progress to the password prompt which
eventually gets us in.

The Event Viewer shows the attached error message, relating to a NULL SID
and 0xC00000BB status.
ssh_as_first_login.txt
<http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/file/t11987/ssh_as_first_login.txt>

It was a rather vanilla 'ssh-host-config' run to get it installed: strict
modes = no, no special ssh_/sshd_config settings at this point.

Running latest cygwin packages on Windows Server 2016 Standard:
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 <server_name> 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49 x86_64 Cygwin
openssh              8.2p1-1            OK

--
Sent from: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Cygwin-list-f3.html

Re: OpenSSH: SSHD daemon (as SYSTEM) is partially broken

Bill Stewart
On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 11:09 AM n0nc3 <[hidden email]> wrote:

It appears Cygwin SSHD's functionality is partially broke in the later

> versions, where SSHD runs as SYSTEM (no longer cyg_server).
>
> On reboot, any attempt to SSH into the server *before* any previous logon
> attempt (RDP/locally/etc) is quickly denied:
>
>    debug1: Offering public key: /home/<user>/.ssh/id_rsa
>    debug3: send_pubkey_test
>    debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
>    Connection closed by <server_addr>
>
> Once an RDP/local login is attempted, regardless of success/failure,
> subsequent ssh attempts will progress to the password prompt which
> eventually gets us in.

This is a known issue on OS versions older than 8.1.

See thread starting with this message:

My proposed workaround is this:

Bill

Re: OpenSSH: SSHD daemon (as SYSTEM) is partially broken

TestUser1
So is this expected to work fine in my environment, Windows Server 2016 (OS
Version 10.0.14393), without the workaround?

Thanks!

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:10 PM TestUser1 wrote:

So is this expected to work fine in my environment, Windows Server 2016 (OS
> Version 10.0.14393), without the workaround?

 I can't reproduce on Windows Server 8.1/Server 2012 R2 or later.

But you can certainly try the workaround.

Bill