Old versions of setup.exe

Scott Cegielski
Are older versions of setup.exe kept around?  Last time I installed
cygwin, I also installed cygnome and it would crash setup using the
current version at the time.  I had to finad version 2.340.2.5 of setup
and use that.  Is there an archive of these versions somewhere?
Thanks

Re: Old versions of setup.exe

Igor Peshansky
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Scott Cegielski wrote:

> Are older versions of setup.exe kept around?  Last time I installed
> cygwin, I also installed cygnome and it would crash setup using the
> current version at the time.  I had to finad version 2.340.2.5 of setup
> and use that.

Well, it stands to reason, then, to try the newest version of setup, not
embark on quests for older ones.  Why not try the latest snapshot[*] and,
only if that fails too, report this as a bug and grab an older version?

> Is there an archive of these versions somewhere?

If the newest snapshot doesn't work for you, you can try grabbing the one
you want from the "Cygwin Time Machine" (Google for it).  Note that
anything you get from there is unsupported on this list.
HTH,
        Igor
[*] The snapshots are usually at <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>.
However, in this case, the snapshot is temporarily residing at
<http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe>.  I've Cc'd
the cygwin-apps list for the following request to the setup maintainer:
Brian, all the patches in that version are already in CVS.  Can we get
a new setup snapshot out, please?
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

bug report place

Carl Karsten

> http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe

Where should bugs be reported?

Where should "potential" bugs be discussed?  as in, is this a bug:

setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe defaults the "Local Package Dir" to "C:\Program
Files\Mozilla Firefox"

^Carl K

Re: bug report place

Joe Smith-10

"Carl Karsten" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dklmda$j2t$[hidden email]...

>> http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe
>
> Where should bugs be reported?
Please post bugs to this list, but be sure to read and follow the
instructions found here: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Re: bug report place

Brian Dessent
Carl Karsten wrote:

> Where should bugs be reported?

All discussion of the setup.exe program belongs on the cygwin-apps (at)
cygwin.com mailing list, including bug reports.

> Where should "potential" bugs be discussed?  as in, is this a bug:
>
> setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe defaults the "Local Package Dir" to "C:\Program
> Files\Mozilla Firefox"

It should use the last specified value.  Check to see what
/etc/setup/last-cache contains, for that's what it should use.  If it
contains something different than what you are seeing then that's a bug.

Brian

Re: Old versions of setup.exe

Peter A. Castro
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Scott Cegielski wrote:
>
>> Are older versions of setup.exe kept around?  Last time I installed
>> cygwin, I also installed cygnome and it would crash setup using the
>> current version at the time.  I had to finad version 2.340.2.5 of setup
>> and use that.
>
> Well, it stands to reason, then, to try the newest version of setup, not
> embark on quests for older ones.  Why not try the latest snapshot[*] and,
> only if that fails too, report this as a bug and grab an older version?

So far, setup has been "backwards compatable" with older "versions" of
the Cygwin distribution.  Trying the latest setup.exe is always advisable.

>> Is there an archive of these versions somewhere?
>
> If the newest snapshot doesn't work for you, you can try grabbing the one
> you want from the "Cygwin Time Machine" (Google for it).  Note that
> anything you get from there is unsupported on this list.

Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe
(at least not consistently).  The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the
latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been
archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version
number from it.

There is a "setup-snapshots" dir that has a smattering of older setup
versions, but keeping it up to date with the latest & versioning it
appropriately isn't something I've automated (yet).  Even
http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/ doesn't have the latest setup.exe.

I'd also like to point out that the setup source is not being distributed
anymore as part of the cygwin release.  The last source dist was
setup-2.427-1-src.tar.bz2 (back on 2004-04-25).  It would really be nice
if setup was treated as just another package and distributed as such, but
I understand the work involved and so I haven't actively pushed for this
until now.

Brian,
   How hard would it be to generate a source & binary dist each time a
"release" of setup is made?  Or, at the lease, could the version number
be stored as a string with some eye-catcher tag so that it can easily be
extracted?  Pretty please?

> HTH,
> Igor
> [*] The snapshots are usually at <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>.
> However, in this case, the snapshot is temporarily residing at
> <http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe>.  I've Cc'd
> the cygwin-apps list for the following request to the setup maintainer:
> Brian, all the patches in that version are already in CVS.  Can we get
> a new setup snapshot out, please?

--
Peter A. Castro <[hidden email]> or <[hidden email]>

RE: Old versions of setup.exe

Dave Korn
Peter A. Castro wrote:

> Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe
> (at least not consistently).  The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the
> latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been
> archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version
> number from it.

  Well, ...

dk@espanola /tmp> strings setup.exe | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f 3
2.521
dk@espanola /tmp>

 ... will work on every version as far back as

2000-09-07  DJ Delorie  <dj@redhat>

        * splash.cc: use version.h, not local decl
        * res.rc: add "old version" message
        * resource.h: ditto
        * version.h: new
        * fromcwd.cc (canonicalize_version): make global
        * iniparse.y: add setup-version support, fix bug in blank line
        handling

        * inilex.l: add [exp] as alias for [test], add setup-version
        * Makefile.in (version.c): add setup-version tag

        * desktop.cc (do_desktop): remove 1.1 version number
        (do_desktop_setup): ditto

        * ini.cc (do_ini): zero out package list just in case we redo it.

    cheers,
      DaveK

RE: Old versions of setup.exe

Peter A. Castro
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> Peter A. Castro wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe
>> (at least not consistently).  The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the
>> latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been
>> archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version
>> number from it.
>
>  Well, ...
>
> dk@espanola /tmp> strings setup.exe | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f 3
> 2.521
> dk@espanola /tmp>

Hmmm... that doesn't seem to work for me on linux.... :(
And, it doesn't work for me on Cygwin either?!
This is what I get:

% strings -a w:/webserver/ftp/pub/cygwin/setup.exe | grep -i setup
      name="RedHat.Cygwin.Setup"

This is the latest setup.exe from the cygwin website too.  I'm at a loss
as to why it works for you and not me.

Peter A. Castro wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Peter A. Castro wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe
>>> (at least not consistently).  The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the
>>> latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been
>>> archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version
>>> number from it.
>>
>>  Well, ...
>>
>> dk@espanola /tmp> strings setup.exe | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f
>> 3
>> 2.521
>> dk@espanola /tmp>
>
> Hmmm... that doesn't seem to work for me on linux.... :(
> And, it doesn't work for me on Cygwin either?!
> This is what I get:
>
> % strings -a w:/webserver/ftp/pub/cygwin/setup.exe | grep -i setup
>       name="RedHat.Cygwin.Setup"
>
> This is the latest setup.exe from the cygwin website too.  I'm at a loss
> as to why it works for you and not me.

   ;)  Try un-UPXing it first!

    cheers,
      DaveK

RE: Old versions of setup.exe

Igor Peshansky
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Peter A. Castro wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
>
> > Peter A. Castro wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe
> > > (at least not consistently).  The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the
> > > latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been
> > > archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version
> > > number from it.
> >
> >  Well, ...
> >
> > dk@espanola /tmp> strings setup.exe | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f 3
> > 2.521
> > dk@espanola /tmp>
>
> Hmmm... that doesn't seem to work for me on linux.... :(
> And, it doesn't work for me on Cygwin either?!
> This is what I get:
>
> % strings -a w:/webserver/ftp/pub/cygwin/setup.exe | grep -i setup
>      name="RedHat.Cygwin.Setup"
>
> This is the latest setup.exe from the cygwin website too.  I'm at a loss
> as to why it works for you and not me.

Dave's running this command on a self-compiled version of setup.  The
setup on the Cygwin site is compressed with upx, which mangles all strings
(except the PE header).  So, one way to get version information into setup
is to use the "Version:" tag in the PE header (or whatever it's called),
but that will only work for the newest setup versions -- the older ones
will have the "unextractable version" problem.
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_ [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

Re: Old versions of setup.exe

Brian Dessent
Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Dave's running this command on a self-compiled version of setup.  The
> setup on the Cygwin site is compressed with upx, which mangles all strings
> (except the PE header).  So, one way to get version information into setup
> is to use the "Version:" tag in the PE header (or whatever it's called),
> but that will only work for the newest setup versions -- the older ones
> will have the "unextractable version" problem.

In that case:

upx -d setup.exe -o setup.tmp >/dev/null && \
   strings setup.tmp | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f 3 && \
   rm setup.tmp

Brian

Re: Old versions of setup.exe

Peter A. Castro
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > Dave's running this command on a self-compiled version of setup.  The
> > setup on the Cygwin site is compressed with upx, which mangles all strings
> > (except the PE header).  So, one way to get version information into setup
> > is to use the "Version:" tag in the PE header (or whatever it's called),
> > but that will only work for the newest setup versions -- the older ones
> > will have the "unextractable version" problem.
>
> In that case:
>
> upx -d setup.exe -o setup.tmp >/dev/null && \
>    strings setup.tmp | grep setup-version | cut -d ' ' -f 3 && \
>    rm setup.tmp

UPX!  What a cool little util.  I had no idea that setup.exe was being
supplied as a compressed exe (I guess I've been skimming my email a
little too lightly and missed that little bit of trivia :).

setup.exe expands from 305k to 846k!  Wow!

Ok, so this gives me the ability to automate the archiving of setup.exe as
well.   Cool!  The Time Machine will start archiving setup.exe too.

Thanks Brian & Igor (and you too Dave)!

--
Peter A. Castro <[hidden email]> or <[hidden email]>