Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Cygwin list mailing list
I interact with Cygwin via mintty launched as "Win+R mintty Enter".

During first launch of "exim-config" script existed with an error:

  /usr/bin/exim-config: line 447: USER: unbound variable

After looking into docs I got that mintty should be launched with a parameter "-".

Probably it was always that way.

================

Checking POSIX standard on what might be defined in login shell:

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html (1997)
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696899/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html (2004)

I noticed that USER is mentioned but LOGNAME is not only mentioned by
description is given:

  The system shall initialize this variable at the time of login to be the
  user's login name.

Cygwin's /etc/profile has:

  # Set the user id
  USER="$(/usr/bin/id -un)"

but there is nothing for LOGNAME... Shouldn't /etc/profile set LOGNAME too?

--
http://defun.work/

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Thomas Wolff
Am 04.01.2021 um 23:33 schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko via Cygwin:
> I interact with Cygwin via mintty launched as "Win+R mintty Enter".
>
> ...
> After looking into docs I got that mintty should be launched with a parameter "-".
>
> Probably it was always that way.
Yes, but it might be appropriate to apply special handling for this case
and imply login mode if started via Win+R.
What do others think?

> ================
>
> Checking POSIX standard on what might be defined in login shell:
>
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html (1997)
> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696899/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html (2004)
>
> I noticed that USER is mentioned but LOGNAME is not only mentioned by
> description is given:
>
>    The system shall initialize this variable at the time of login to be the
>    user's login name.
>
> Cygwin's /etc/profile has:
>
>    # Set the user id
>    USER="$(/usr/bin/id -un)"
>
> but there is nothing for LOGNAME... Shouldn't /etc/profile set LOGNAME too?
Looks reasonable.
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [cygwin] Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Jason Pyeron
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Thomas Wolff
> Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 5:32 AM
>
> Am 04.01.2021 um 23:33 schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko via Cygwin:
> > I interact with Cygwin via mintty launched as "Win+R mintty Enter".

I do not put Cygwin in my windows PATH, (anymore since about 10 years ago).

> >
> > ...
> > After looking into docs I got that mintty should be launched with a parameter "-".
> >
> > Probably it was always that way.
> Yes, but it might be appropriate to apply special handling for this case
> and imply login mode if started via Win+R.
> What do others think?

I use an environment where settings are lost at logoff, so I have become accustomed to launching it from the command prompt.

I have not found it too difficult to type

        c:\cygwin64\bin\mintty /bin/bash -l

>
> > ================
> >
> > Checking POSIX standard on what might be defined in login shell:
> >
> > https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html (1997)
> > https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696899/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html (2004)
> >
> > I noticed that USER is mentioned but LOGNAME is not only mentioned by
> > description is given:
> >
> >    The system shall initialize this variable at the time of login to be the
> >    user's login name.
> >
> > Cygwin's /etc/profile has:
> >
> >    # Set the user id
> >    USER="$(/usr/bin/id -un)"
> >
> > but there is nothing for LOGNAME... Shouldn't /etc/profile set LOGNAME too?
> Looks reasonable.
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple


--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Andrey Repin
In reply to this post by Thomas Wolff
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

> Am 04.01.2021 um 23:33 schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko via Cygwin:
>> I interact with Cygwin via mintty launched as "Win+R mintty Enter".
>>
>> ...
>> After looking into docs I got that mintty should be launched with a parameter "-".
>>
>> Probably it was always that way.
> Yes, but it might be appropriate to apply special handling for this case
> and imply login mode if started via Win+R.
> What do others think?

That would be overly complicated and least predictable.


--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Wednesday, January 6, 2021 15:53:33

Sorry for my terrible english...

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Cygwin list mailing list
Win10 1909

tried Win+R | mintty - <enter>

works fine, also: Win | mintty - <enter>

also works for me

Even: Win | mintty - <Ctrl><Shift><enter>

opens up mintty with admin account. Off course I have to type password
(or swipe my finger on fingerprint scanner) for this to work

--
Kamran
Islamabad, Pakistan
--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Cygwin list mailing list
On 2021-01-07, Kamran via Cygwin wrote:

> Even: Win | mintty - <Ctrl><Shift><enter>
>
> opens up mintty with admin account.

Cool, I use <Ctrl><Shift><Enter> a lot but didn't know you can pass args!

--
http://defun.work/

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Noticed that mintty starts non-login bash with "Win+R mintty Enter".

Cygwin list mailing list
In reply to this post by Jason Pyeron
On 2021-01-05, Jason Pyeron wrote:

> I do not put Cygwin in my windows PATH, (anymore since about 10 years ago).

Sometimes it is useful to have GNU utils at hands. I use Far Commander and in
order to find directory size I type:

  du -s -m NAME

Also having Cygwin staff in PATH allows to start program elevated easily
(<Win> NAME <Ctrl><Shift><Enter>).

> I use an environment where settings are lost at logoff, so I have become
> accustomed to launching it from the command prompt.
>
> I have not found it too difficult to type
>
> c:\cygwin64\bin\mintty /bin/bash -l

It won't be productive for my workflow. I own dev PC, not restricted to
corporate policies and launch mintty hundred times a day (have CDPATH and
other convenience set as the environment is permanent).

Though I might get rid of Cygwin from PATH too.

For starting Emacs I wrote wrapper that run it elevated (and hides that
irritating console as I use emacs-w32) - it is a pleasure to be able to edit
Windows /etc/hosts from within Emacs ))

Same wrapper can be written for Mintty and placed to PATH.

Though I wouldn't do that because all IDEs are rely on git.exe from Cygwin...

It is pity that Mercurial comes with "shell" launcher, so cannot be used by
non-Cygwin programs.

--
http://defun.work/

--
Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html
Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple