Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

surendar jeyadev

I am changing the Suject line as this could be a new
thread. The 'old problem', I think, has been solved.

--- "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> To me, this really sounds like a firewall problem
> but you
> might need to actually debug 'setup.exe' to verify
> that.

Well, in some way it is. As I mentioned earlier, I use
Norton Internet Security. And, as I also mentioned
before,
I tried the installation after logging off from
Norton.
Apparently, that is not enough. So, I stopped NIS
explicitly,
and, lo and behold, the installation went through -- I
think :-)

I now have a icon on the desktop saying "Cygwin", but,
once
again, nothing works unless I kill NIS. With it on,
the
shell hangs. If I open it with NIS off, it appears to
work.
I can do a 'ls -a' and see the files I expect:
.bash_profile,
.bashrc and .inputrc.

Commands like 'man', 'wc', etc. work. But, I need to
be
completely exposed. Even if I turn on NIS after the
shell
initialises, it freezes and does not unfreeze.

So, my questions:

1. What are the recommended settings for Norton?
2. Why is a connection to the Internet needed at all?
   Should I not be able to work as a stand alone
machine?
   It appears that Cygwin is attempting to contact a
   server.
3. Are there shell/environmental variables that I have
   set to make it work as a stand alone installation?

Lastly, I apologise for the abbreviation 'NIS'. I know
it means something else, but it was just convenient
for
this thread!

Special note of thanks to Larry for all the advice.

thanks
sj

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

Brett-10
surendar jeyadev <jeyadev3 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> <snip>
>
> But, I need to be
> completely exposed. Even if I turn on NIS after the
> shell
> initialises, it freezes and does not unfreeze.
>
> So, my questions:
>
> 1. What are the recommended settings for Norton?
> 2. Why is a connection to the Internet needed at all?
>    Should I not be able to work as a stand alone
> machine?
>    It appears that Cygwin is attempting to contact a
>    server.
> 3. Are there shell/environmental variables that I have
>    set to make it work as a stand alone installation?
>
> <snip>

I am having a similar problem and so far have no solution.
But my circumstances are slightly different and might
suggest, if the underlying problem is the same, that the
problem resides in another direction.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional and Norton AntiVirus
2003 Professional.  I am connected to the internet and was
running a Cygwin upgrade directly from the Cygwin site last
night.  The install keeps freezing and the log indicates a
problem with "McShield".  Specifically, "Could not open
service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not
be installed, or we don't have access.".  I do not believe
McAfee has every been on this box.  I tried dissabling both
"Auto-Protect" and "Script Blocking" in Norton without luck.

If our problems are the same, this is not a network issues.
I should note that I did a complete from-scratch install of
Cygwin on my brother's Windows XP box last night without any
problem.  I am not certain of his anti-virus protection and
he is back on the road headed home this morning so I can't
ask.

Hope this is helpful and that someone has an idea.

Happy Holidays,
Brett

Brett <blb-2 <at> adelphia.net> writes:

> <snip>
> I am having a similar problem and so far have no solution.
> <snip>
> Specifically, "Could not open
> service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not
> be installed, or we don't have access.".
> <snip>

Some more info:

I am behind a LynkSys WRT54GS Router/Firewall and my install
logs finish with:

  2005/11/26 19:55:43 Running preremove script for  gcc-mingw-ada
  2005/11/26 19:55:43 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c
/etc/preremove/gcc-mingw-ada.sh
  2005/11/26 21:00:22 Ending cygwin install

The installer will show the preremove step for many hours
without progress.

Thanks,
Brett

--- Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am having a similar problem and so far have no
> solution.
> But my circumstances are slightly different and
> might
> suggest, if the underlying problem is the same, that
> the
> problem resides in another direction.
>
> I am running Windows 2000 Professional and Norton
> AntiVirus
> 2003 Professional.  I am connected to the internet
> and was
> running a Cygwin upgrade directly from the Cygwin
> site last
> night.  The install keeps freezing and the log
> indicates a
> problem with "McShield".  Specifically, "Could not
> open
> service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee
> may not
> be installed, or we don't have access.".  I do not
> believe
> McAfee has every been on this box.  I tried

Apparently, this is not a problem. Larry Hall replied
one of my earlier problems -- not being able to
install
Cygwin at all, which seems to be your case -- saying
this
was normal. I quote him below:

   These messages are no problem.  Setup checks for
McAfee
   because it is known to cause setup problems.  As
the
   message notes, "McAfee may not be installed,...",
which
   is true in your case.

> dissabling both
> "Auto-Protect" and "Script Blocking" in Norton
> without luck.
>
> If our problems are the same, this is not a network
> issues.
> I should note that I did a complete from-scratch
> install of
> Cygwin on my brother's Windows XP box last night
> without any
> problem.  I am not certain of his anti-virus
> protection and
> he is back on the road headed home this morning so I
> can't
> ask.
>
> Hope this is helpful and that someone has an idea.

I have to try one more thing -- turn of Norton and
unplug the cable. But there is something very fishy
going one. When I tried to launch Cygwin a few minutes
ago, Norton popped up a message saying
'hostname.exe is trying to contact DNS server'.

Would anyone have an idea why a DNS sever is being
contacted? It *appears* that my set up is behaving
not only as a network set up, but the the
modem/Norton combination is coming into play. I do
not know what the modem is -- it was installed by
Roadrunner and has no name on it!

As my machine is very much an "out of the box,
plain XP" from Dell, I would guess that this should
not be an unusual case. But, maybe it is not .... :-)

thanks
sj

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

Dennis J. Darland
If I remember right (It's been a while - I don't update often) I have to
disable NIS firewall to run (cygwin) setup.
After setup I am able to run cygwin with firewall enabled.

Dennis J. Darland
Treasurer of the Bertrand Russell Society, Inc.
[hidden email]
Solve Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations (Sode)
(It's a free, open source, program. - Homepage)
http://sode.sourceforge.net

surendar jeyadev wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>Hope this is helpful and that someone has an idea.
>>

>I have to try one more thing -- turn of Norton and
>unplug the cable. But there is something very fishy
>going one. When I tried to launch Cygwin a few minutes
>ago, Norton popped up a message saying
>'hostname.exe is trying to contact DNS server'.
>
>Would anyone have an idea why a DNS sever is being
>contacted? It *appears* that my set up is behaving
>not only as a network set up, but the the
>modem/Norton combination is coming into play. I do
>not know what the modem is -- it was installed by
>Roadrunner and has no name on it!
>
>As my machine is very much an "out of the box,
>plain XP" from Dell, I would guess that this should
>not be an unusual case. But, maybe it is not .... :-)
>
>thanks
>sj

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

René Berber-2
surendar jeyadev wrote:
[snip]
> I have to try one more thing -- turn of Norton and
> unplug the cable. But there is something very fishy
> going one. When I tried to launch Cygwin a few minutes
> ago, Norton popped up a message saying
> 'hostname.exe is trying to contact DNS server'.

Bingo!  hostname is called from /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh,
are you using csh or tcsh?  That would explain what is going on.

The solution would be to add hostname.exe to the list of programs allowed to use
the Internet (Windows firewall) or open the respective port (53 if it's using DNS).

HTH
--
René Berber

Cygwin upgrade hangs at prermove step

Brett-10
Brett <blb-2 <at> adelphia.net> writes:

I see that my problem was unrelated to the original I replied to this morning.
I am still hopig someone has an idea for me to try.  Here are my symptoms again.

I am running a Win 2000 Professional box with Norton Antivirus 2003
professional.  I am behind a LynkSys WRT54GS Router/Firewall.  I had a
unctioning Cygwin install which I attempted to upgrade yesterday.  The upgrade
consistently hung.  I attempted to disable Norton without any effect.  The
remainder

My install logs finish with:

   2005/11/26 19:55:43 Running preremove script for  gcc-mingw-ada
   2005/11/26 19:55:43 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c
/etc/preremove/gcc-mingw-ada.sh
   2005/11/26 21:00:22 Ending cygwin install

The installer will show the preremove step for many hours without progress.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

Chris Taylor
Ren? Berber wrote:

> surendar jeyadev wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>I have to try one more thing -- turn of Norton and
>>unplug the cable. But there is something very fishy
>>going one. When I tried to launch Cygwin a few minutes
>>ago, Norton popped up a message saying
>>'hostname.exe is trying to contact DNS server'.
>

> Bingo!  hostname is called from /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh,
> are you using csh or tcsh?  That would explain what is going on.
>
> The solution would be to add hostname.exe to the list of programs allowed to use
> the Internet (Windows firewall) or open the respective port (53 if it's using DNS).
>
> HTH

Beyond that, hostname.exe is used to resolve the network name of the
machine (the hostname, funnily enough ;)
This will try to contact DNS servers if it needs to, and norton will
block this by default for any app you don't allow.. It's not the only
cygwin app that will do so either..
However, following Ren?'s suggestion will sort things so that you can
start cygwin, or should at least.

I should point out that hostname is called in /etc/profile for bash as
well ( HOSTNAME=`hostname` <-- should this be being changed to
HOSTNAME=$(hostname) at some point soon?)

Hopefully this sorts it for yourself though - as for cygwin setup - add
it to the allowed applications (at the very least, it needs DNS (53),
http (80) and FTP (21) to guarantee it will work with the various mirrors)

Chris
--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

Eric Blake (cygwin)

Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Chris Taylor on 11/28/2005 3:13 AM:
>
>>I should point out that hostname is called in /etc/profile for bash as
>>well ( HOSTNAME=`hostname` <-- should this be being changed to
>>HOSTNAME=$(hostname) at some point soon?)
>

> There is no difference in this case (both command substitution spellings
> are required by POSIX), and `hostname` is more portable to older shells
> than $(hostname).  However, since all bourne-compatible shells distributed
> with cygwin support the newer syntax, and the newer syntax is more
> readable, as well as easier to nest, it wouldn't hurt if base-files were
> updated to use $() instead of ``.

The reason I mentioned it is that I'm told that the `` syntax is
deprecated (and has been for some time), at least in scripts, ergo it
makes sense to be moving to the newer one.. You're right though, it is a
lot easier to read and nest, and vastly easier to read it when nested..

Chris

Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Chris Taylor on 11/28/2005 6:30 AM:
>
>>The reason I mentioned it is that I'm told that the `` syntax is
>>deprecated (and has been for some time), at least in scripts, ergo it
>>makes sense to be moving to the newer one.. You're right though, it is a
>>lot easier to read and nest, and vastly easier to read it when nested..
>

> Nope - POSIX has not deprecated ``.  See
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_06_03.
>  And portable scripts, per the rules in the autoconf documentation, MUST
> use `` instead of $().  Based on the body of existing scripts that use ``,
> I doubt that POSIX will ever deprecate ``.

Fair enough :) I shall reeducate my friend on that point then.

Chris

--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world
into a slumber. Wake up! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and
keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you will
never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink. So face
forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has
arrived... Are you ready to go?

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS? *** SOLUTION *** ???

surendar jeyadev
First of all, many thanks to all you who have pitched
in to help me out.

I followed Rene's advice and added 'hostname.exe' to
the NIS
'allowed' list. I found that things moved along, but
got
stuck at 'uname'(should have expected that to
happen!).
So I added 'uname.exe' to NIS's list. And, lo and
behold,
everything seemed right.

Then I tried 'vi' and it hung. By some stroke of luck
discovered that I had to logoff NIS. In my set up,
from
Dell, users are logged into NIS at Startup (do not
know
why). It is not just the firewall coming up, but the
user
is logged into the Norton account. If I just logoff
the
account and leave the firewall on, things seem to
work.

I will try some more things when I have time.

One last question (and we may change the thread). All
this
is because I want to use 'cdrecord' from Joerg
Schilling
on my PC. Is there a package available? I am brand new
to Cygwin and am not sure how one mine's the stuff --
apologise for these simplistic questions.

Thanks again to all of you.

sj

Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS? *** SOLUTION *** ???

René Berber-2
surendar jeyadev wrote:
[snip]

> One last question (and we may change the thread). All
> this
> is because I want to use 'cdrecord' from Joerg
> Schilling
> on my PC. Is there a package available? I am brand new
> to Cygwin and am not sure how one mine's the stuff --

No, no package, but there is one available for Cygwin:  Look for
cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a11-i586-pc-cygwin.exe or a more recent version (this was
from 2003).
--
René Berber