NetPbm - xwdtopnm???

Vincent Nauwelaers
Hi,

I'm a thesis student working with CYGWIN to run the NS-2 network simulator.  I'm
analysing networks and NAM, the analysis tool, creates .xwd-files.  So I would
like to convert them to jpeg or gif, so I read about NETPBM with contains lots
of convertion methods.

The ppmto... and pnmto... all seem to work, but "_ xwdtojpg _" the only method
to convert XWD-files doesn't seem to be there!

Am I doing something wrong ? Am I forgetting something ?

Thank you very much for the trouble,

--Vincent

Re: NetPbm - xwdtopnm???

René Berber
Vincent Nauwelaers wrote:

> I'm a thesis student working with CYGWIN to run the NS-2 network simulator.  I'm
> analysing networks and NAM, the analysis tool, creates .xwd-files.  So I would
> like to convert them to jpeg or gif, so I read about NETPBM with contains lots
> of convertion methods.
>
> The ppmto... and pnmto... all seem to work, but "_ xwdtojpg _" the only method
> to convert XWD-files doesn't seem to be there!
>
> Am I doing something wrong ? Am I forgetting something ?

Netpbm compiles out of the box under Cygwin, so if the Cygwin distributed
package doesn't have what you want I recommend uninstalling it and compiling
from source.  There is probably (I don't have it installed) an explanation in
usr/share/doc/Cygwin/netpbm-10.29.README about what is not included.

BTW in Netpbm 10.28 (the last I compiled) there is no xwdtojpg, but there is
xwdtopnm and pnmtojpeg.

HTH
--
René Berber

Re: NetPbm - xwdtopnm???

Charles Wilson-2
Ren? Berber wrote:
> Vincent Nauwelaers wrote:
>>The ppmto... and pnmto... all seem to work, but "_ xwdtojpg _" the only method
>>to convert XWD-files doesn't seem to be there!
>>
>>Am I doing something wrong ? Am I forgetting something ?
 >
> BTW in Netpbm 10.28 (the last I compiled) there is no xwdtojpg, but there is
> xwdtopnm and pnmtojpeg.

The whole design of the netpbm suite of conversion tools is that they
convert {your-format} to {netpbm-format} and vice versa.  That way, only
2*N converters are needed, in order to perform any conversion between N
different formats: e.g.

   xwd -> pnm -> jpg

requires xwdtopnm, and pnmtojpeg.  Thus, it's not surprising that netpbm
doesn't explicitly provide 'xwdtojpg'.  A converter system designed
along those lines would need N^2 different converters to do the job that
netpbm does with only 2*N converters.

--
Chuck