Mintty font problem

12

Re: Mintty font problem

Thomas Wolff
Am 11.04.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Thomas Wolff:

> Am 11.04.2016 um 14:43 schrieb KARL BOTTS:
>>
>> Perhaps related to font issues in mintty: In .minttyrc is a new property
>> FontWeight=700,
> which means you had configured the bold version of the font.
>> after I installed Cygwin 2.4.1-1 and mintty 2.3.5. (I noticed,
>> only because I have home dir files in revision control.)  I too use
>> Lucida Console.
>>   With the 700, the font looked visibly "skinny" to me.
> actually, rather the normal, non-bold font. The new font weight
> adjustment apparently enforces that although you selected bold (unless
> an even bolder weight would exist in the font family).
> Maybe the font selection should be tweaked to allow selecting a bold
> font even at the cost of not having a bolder variant available.
Actually, it does allow that, as can be seen with some other fonts. The
issue with Lucida Console is that it does not have a bold weight, so
there is only the Normal (400) weight which is then selected by the new
font weight tweaking algorithm.

>> I set it to 800, looks fine now.  No problem, just tinkering required.
This is obviously inconsistent with the behaviour of mapping 700 to Normal.

Thomas

Re: Postinstall script errors on cygwin x86 install

Tatsuro MATSUOKA

Re: Postinstall script errors on cygwin x86 install

Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Sorry I have again misoperate the post.

Anyway my problem is solved and I will not post for this topic any longer.

Tatsuro

Re: Mintty font problem

Thomas Wolff
Am 12.04.2016 um 22:27 schrieb Thomas Wolff:

> Am 11.04.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
>> Am 11.04.2016 um 14:43 schrieb KARL BOTTS:
>>>
>>> Perhaps related to font issues in mintty: In .minttyrc is a new
>>> property
>>> FontWeight=700,
>> which means you had configured the bold version of the font.
>>> after I installed Cygwin 2.4.1-1 and mintty 2.3.5. (I noticed,
>>> only because I have home dir files in revision control.)  I too use
>>> Lucida Console.
>>>   With the 700, the font looked visibly "skinny" to me.
>> actually, rather the normal, non-bold font. The new font weight
>> adjustment apparently enforces that although you selected bold
>> (unless an even bolder weight would exist in the font family).
>> Maybe the font selection should be tweaked to allow selecting a bold
>> font even at the cost of not having a bolder variant available.
> Actually, it does allow that, as can be seen with some other fonts.
> The issue with Lucida Console is that it does not have a bold weight,
> so there is only the Normal (400) weight which is then selected by the
> new font weight tweaking algorithm.
>
>>> I set it to 800, looks fine now.  No problem, just tinkering required.
> This is obviously inconsistent with the behaviour of mapping 700 to
> Normal.
This has been tweaked in the repository.
Thomas

12