Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

Charles Wilson-2
> On Nov 19 16:08, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 11/19/2013 10:13, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> How dense is that?
>>
>> Manifest Density.
>>
>> (American joke.)
>
> ...which I don't get.  Care to explain on cygwin-talk?

Manifest Destiny was a philosophy prevalent in the 1800's in America,
that it was fore-ordained by God that the United States was destined to
eventually settle and incorporate territory from the Atlantic to the
Pacific.  It was going to happen, it was right and just that it happen,
and all it would take was time and a little American perseverance.

Never mind those pesky Plains Indians^WNative Americans.  How important,
really, are the ancestral homelands and beliefs of a bunch of "savages"
when compared to God's Plan for America?

So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny.

Chuck

Re: Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 20 07:53, Charles Wilson wrote:

> >>Manifest Density.
> >>
> >>(American joke.)
> >
> >...which I don't get.  Care to explain on cygwin-talk?
>
> Manifest Destiny was a philosophy prevalent in the 1800's in
> America, that it was fore-ordained by God that the United States was
> destined to eventually settle and incorporate territory from the
> Atlantic to the Pacific.  It was going to happen, it was right and
> just that it happen, and all it would take was time and a little
> American perseverance.
>
> Never mind those pesky Plains Indians^WNative Americans.  How
> important, really, are the ancestral homelands and beliefs of a
> bunch of "savages" when compared to God's Plan for America?
>
> So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny.
Got it.  Thanks!

Re: Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

JonY
On 11/20/2013 21:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Nov 20 07:53, Charles Wilson wrote:

>>> ...which I don't get.  Care to explain on cygwin-talk?
>>
>> Manifest Destiny was a philosophy prevalent in the 1800's in
>> America, that it was fore-ordained by God that the United States was
>> destined to eventually settle and incorporate territory from the
>> Atlantic to the Pacific.  It was going to happen, it was right and
>> just that it happen, and all it would take was time and a little
>> American perseverance.
>>
>> Never mind those pesky Plains Indians^WNative Americans.  How
>> important, really, are the ancestral homelands and beliefs of a
>> bunch of "savages" when compared to God's Plan for America?

Don't forget about the Mexicans in Texas and the Midwest :)

Re: Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

Warren Young
On 11/20/2013 05:53, Charles Wilson wrote:
> So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny.

Yes.

The policy of manifest destiny is a form of pure arrogance: This is the
way it will happen and everyone will either like it or get steamrolled
by the inevitable.

...Much like Microsoft "encouraging" apps to use manifest files.

And I agree, the Microsoft policy implemented by this API *is* dense.
The denser an object is, the less affected it is by incoming matter.
Density is a function of arrogance, so when reason speaks to arrogance,
little happens.

Re: Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

Gary Johnson-4
On 2013-11-21, JonY wrote:

> > On Nov 20 07:53, Charles Wilson wrote:

> >> Never mind those pesky Plains Indians^WNative Americans.  How
> >> important, really, are the ancestral homelands and beliefs of a
> >> bunch of "savages" when compared to God's Plan for America?
>
> Don't forget about the Mexicans in Texas and the Midwest :)

Not to mention the Mexicans in Mexico.

Regards,
Gary

On Nov 20 18:53, Warren Young wrote:

> On 11/20/2013 05:53, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny.
>
> Yes.
>
> The policy of manifest destiny is a form of pure arrogance: This is
> the way it will happen and everyone will either like it or get
> steamrolled by the inevitable.
>
> ...Much like Microsoft "encouraging" apps to use manifest files.
>
> And I agree, the Microsoft policy implemented by this API *is*
> dense. The denser an object is, the less affected it is by incoming
> matter. Density is a function of arrogance, so when reason speaks to
> arrogance, little happens.
What bugs me most is that this manifest enforcement runs completely over
the head of community-driven projects.

But even so.  If some company wants to make sure their applications run
on the new OS, it's *not* enough anymore to test.  "Yeah, our product
still works, nothing to do".  Rather, Microsoft practically forces
software companies to create new versions, which is a big deal and costs
money for nothing.  And in a case of a community project like Cygwin,
we just can't rebuild all of our packages just to follow up with new
manifests.

Fortunately there is the chance to use side-by-side manifests, but that's
really ugly, isn't it?  Twice as many entries in /bin, urgh.