MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]

Charles Wilson-2
On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
> That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2

Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.

--
Chuck


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]

Christopher Faylor-8
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:07:36AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
>> That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2
>
>Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
>MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
>the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.

And, of course, we've volunteered to make modifications to Cygwin to try
to avoid the source fork which have gone unreviewed.

cgf
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]

Charles Wilson-2
On 1/29/2014 10:34 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:07:36AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
>>> That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
>>> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2
>>
>> Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
>> MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
>> the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.
>
> And, of course, we've volunteered to make modifications to Cygwin to try
> to avoid the source fork which have gone unreviewed.

I *wish* I had time to review them...I think the "hook" plan you came up
with is a great one.  I'm still struggling just to update the packages I
"maintain" -- and follow up on recent bug reports. :-(

IIRC, the mingw.org guys had already started on some form of MSYS2 for a
while before your proposal and hook implementation...and the "motivated
individuals" working on it were /not/ the same MinGW project leads (like
Earnie and Keith) who monitor the cygwin lists.

So I'm not sure, but it's probable the ball was dropped on the way over
to those "motivated individuals".  Unfortunately, my participation with
MinGW.org has been even more nonexistent than over here, so I'm no
longer the right person to bridge this gap. (At least K seem to be a bit
pissed at me right now judging by some recent posts...)

--
Chuck


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MSYS2 [Was: Cygwin installer could be much more better]

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Jan 30 08:41, Charles Wilson wrote:

> On 1/29/2014 10:34 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:07:36AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >>On 1/28/2014 11:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote:
> >>>That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
> >>>https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2
> >>
> >>Oh, goody. The mingw.org people have been working on something they call
> >>MSYS2 now for a while...and it appears that the haskell folks are NOT
> >>the same people.  So there are TWO msys2's.  Wonderful.
> >
> >And, of course, we've volunteered to make modifications to Cygwin to try
> >to avoid the source fork which have gone unreviewed.
>
> I *wish* I had time to review them...I think the "hook" plan you
> came up with is a great one.  I'm still struggling just to update
> the packages I "maintain" -- and follow up on recent bug reports.
> :-(
On this note, it would be *terribly* nice if you could come up with
a ssmtp package for 64 bit Cygwin.  We have no MTA at all so far :}


Thanks,
Corinna

attachment0 (836 bytes) Download Attachment