Is who -b command available? Need to know when computer was started.

Is who -b command available? Need to know when computer was started.

I am making a script and need to know when the computer was last booted.
This can be done with

who -b command. I have installed the minimum cygwin and this command is not
available.

Which package do I need to install in order to have this command available
(or any other command

that can tell when the computer was last booted).

Kind regards, Peder

Re: Is who -b command available? Need to know when computer was started.

john doe
On 10/16/2018 5:36 PM, Peder Sverdrup via cygwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am making a script and need to know when the computer was last booted.
> This can be done with
>
> who -b command. I have installed the minimum cygwin and this command is not
> available.
>
> Which package do I need to install in order to have this command available
> (or any other command
>
> that can tell when the computer was last booted).

If you have 'SystemInfo' you could try:

$ cmd.exe /C "SystemInfo /FO list" | grep 'System Boot Time'

--
John Doe

Re: Is who -b command available? Need to know when computer was started.

Gary Johnson-4
On 2018-10-16, Peder Sverdrup via cygwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am making a script and need to know when the computer was last booted.
> This can be done with
>
> who -b command. I have installed the minimum cygwin and this command is not
> available.
>
> Which package do I need to install in order to have this command available
> (or any other command
>
> that can tell when the computer was last booted).

The procps-ng package provides the uptime command which will tell
you how long it has been since the computer was last booted.

Regards,
Gary

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Is who -b command available? Need to know when computer was started.

Roger Wells
On 10/16/18 12:57 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2018-10-16, Peder Sverdrup via cygwin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am making a script and need to know when the computer was last booted.
>> This can be done with
>>
>> who -b command. I have installed the minimum cygwin and this command is not
>> available.
>>
>> Which package do I need to install in order to have this command available
>> (or any other command
>>
>> that can tell when the computer was last booted).
> The procps-ng package provides the uptime command which will tell
> you how long it has been since the computer was last booted.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

FWIW
on my cygwin, 2.11.0(0.329/5/3), I have who (GNU coreutils) 8.26.
Of all the options -a/--all gives:
$ who --all
roger    - pty1         2018-10-16 13:05   .           276 (10.40.90.15)
-u, -H, -m, -s, -u gives the same (plus/minus a '-' or '.')
-q seems reasonable, at least similar to the same command on fedora
--version, --help give expected output.
The rest return nothing, including -b

> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

Re: Is who -b command available? Need to know when computer was started.

cyg Simple
On 10/16/2018 11:36 AM, Peder Sverdrup via cygwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am making a script and need to know when the computer was last booted.
> This can be done with
>
> who -b command. I have installed the minimum cygwin and this command is not
> available.
>
> Which package do I need to install in order to have this command available
> (or any other command
>
> that can tell when the computer was last booted).

You can do an online search[1] to determine which package to install to
get a binary.  In this case who.exe.

[1] https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=who.exe&arch=x86_64

--
cyg Simple

On 2018-10-16 10:57, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2018-10-16, Peder Sverdrup via cygwin wrote:
>> I am making a script and need to know when the computer was last booted.
>> This can be done with who -b command. I have installed the minimum cygwin
>> and this command is not available.
>> Which package do I need to install in order to have this command available
>> (or any other command that can tell when the computer was last booted).
> The procps-ng package provides the uptime command which will tell
> you how long it has been since the computer was last booted.

/var/run/utmp system startup/shutdown records are not written so who -b shows
nothing although who is included in cygwin Base package coreutils
/proc/uptime shows number of seconds wall time since startup, and number of
seconds idle time since then e.g.:
$ cat /proc/uptime; date -d"now - `cut -d' ' -f1 /proc/uptime` seconds"; uptime
115395.52 107152.61
2018 Oct 15 Mon 12:05:18
 20:08:34 up 1 day,  8:03,  2 users,  load average: 1.81, 1.58, 1.76