Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

KARL BOTTS

I am worried.  I need to instruct an IT department to install Cygwin.  I am
afraid that if I just tell them to run the installer, they will get an
unstable version.  I am afraid other new users will be in the same boat.

I am fine for myself: I am on Cygwin 3.07, it is a tank, and I can stay there
for the rest of the year if necessary.  That is not the issue.

Would it make sense for Disable_pcon (spelling?) to be the default, until the
new pty code settles down?

---
Karl Botts, [hidden email]

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Andrey Repin
Greetings, KARL BOTTS!

> I am worried.  I need to instruct an IT department to install Cygwin.  I am
> afraid that if I just tell them to run the installer, they will get an
> unstable version.  I am afraid other new users will be in the same boat.

Cygwin is a rolling release distribution. Whatever is in main installation set
is considered stable.
You could have found the answer yourself, if you have used search through the
list archive.

> I am fine for myself: I am on Cygwin 3.07, it is a tank, and I can stay there
> for the rest of the year if necessary.  That is not the issue.

3.0.7 is not supported anymore.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Lee-83
On 2/20/20, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, KARL BOTTS!
>
>> I am worried.  I need to instruct an IT department to install Cygwin.  I
>> am
>> afraid that if I just tell them to run the installer, they will get an
>> unstable version.  I am afraid other new users will be in the same boat.
>
> Cygwin is a rolling release distribution. Whatever is in main installation
> set is considered stable.

I suspect that "unstable" in this context means "likely to have
noticeable problems".

For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
bit into the registry:

-------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
"VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
-------------

On the plus side, it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER so you don't need admin privs
to import it; on the minus side, it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER so you'll have
to do it for every user on the machine that'll be using cygwin.

Regards,
Lee

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:28:26 -0500
Lee wrote:

> For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
> ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
> bit into the registry:
>
> -------------
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
> "VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
> -------------

In what situation is registry modification obove necessary?

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Brian Inglis
On 2020-02-20 17:20, Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:28:26 -0500
> Lee wrote:
>> For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
>> ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
>> bit into the registry:
>>
>> -------------
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
>> "VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
>> -------------
>
> In what situation is registry modification obove necessary?

Enables Console Host Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence Support; see:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/console-virtual-terminal-sequences
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/setconsolemode
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/06/20/understanding-windows-console-host-settings/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/new-experimental-console-features/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/24-bit-color-in-the-windows-console/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-unicode-and-utf-8-output-text-buffer/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-inside-the-windows-console/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-the-evolution-of-the-windows-command-line/
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-backgrounder/
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Console-Docs
https://github.com/microsoft/terminal

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:15:59 -0700
Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-02-20 17:20, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:28:26 -0500
> > Lee wrote:
> >> For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
> >> ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
> >> bit into the registry:
> >>
> >> -------------
> >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> >>
> >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
> >> "VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
> >> -------------
> >
> > In what situation is registry modification obove necessary?
>
> Enables Console Host Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence Support; see:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/console-virtual-terminal-sequences
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/setconsolemode
> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/06/20/understanding-windows-console-host-settings/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/new-experimental-console-features/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/24-bit-color-in-the-windows-console/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-unicode-and-utf-8-output-text-buffer/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-inside-the-windows-console/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-the-evolution-of-the-windows-command-line/
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-backgrounder/
> https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Console-Docs
> https://github.com/microsoft/terminal

I mean what is the problem which need this in cygwin.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

On 2020-02-20 18:27, Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:15:59 -0700
> Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2020-02-20 17:20, Takashi Yano wrote:

>>> In what situation is registry modification obove necessary?
>>
>> Enables Console Host Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence Support; see:
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/console-virtual-terminal-sequences
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/setconsolemode
>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/06/20/understanding-windows-console-host-settings/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/new-experimental-console-features/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/24-bit-color-in-the-windows-console/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-unicode-and-utf-8-output-text-buffer/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-inside-the-windows-console/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-the-evolution-of-the-windows-command-line/
>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-backgrounder/
>> https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Console-Docs
>> https://github.com/microsoft/terminal
>
> I mean what is the problem which need this in cygwin.

Windows programs which emit (or use?) console ANSI escape sequences run from cmd
(which by default switches off Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence handling
for programs run from it) and which do not themselves set that console mode (or
can not because they were written for earlier Windows which does not support
that flag).

On 2/20/20, Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:28:26 -0500
> Lee wrote:
>> For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
>> ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
>> bit into the registry:
>>
>> -------------
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
>> "VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
>> -------------
>
> In what situation is registry modification obove necessary?

see  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2020-01/msg00217.html

using mintty, started from a desktop shortcut
C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -

Lee

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:34:59 -0700
Brian Inglis wrote:
> Windows programs which emit (or use?) console ANSI escape sequences run from cmd
> (which by default switches off Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence handling
> for programs run from it) and which do not themselves set that console mode (or
> can not because they were written for earlier Windows which does not support
> that flag).

I see. Since it appeared in the context of cygwin stability,
I thought it is a cygwin problem.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

On 2/20/20, Brian Inglis  wrote:

> On 2020-02-20 18:27, Takashi Yano wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:15:59 -0700
>> Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Enables Console Host Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence Support; see:
>>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/console-virtual-terminal-sequences
>>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/console/setconsolemode
>>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/06/20/understanding-windows-console-host-settings/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/new-experimental-console-features/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/24-bit-color-in-the-windows-console/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-unicode-and-utf-8-output-text-buffer/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-inside-the-windows-console/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-the-evolution-of-the-windows-command-line/
>>> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-backgrounder/
>>> https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/Console-Docs
>>> https://github.com/microsoft/terminal
>>
>> I mean what is the problem which need this in cygwin.
>
> Windows programs which emit (or use?) console ANSI escape sequences run from
> cmd

This was from a mintty console(?) session.  There shouldn't have been
any windows programs involved.

Regards,
Lee

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 20:48:17 -0500
Lee wrote:

> On 2/20/20, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:28:26 -0500
> > Lee wrote:
> >> For whatever it's worth, the only problem I've noticed with 3.1.4 was
> >> ansi control character handling and that was fixed by importing this
> >> bit into the registry:
> >>
> >> -------------
> >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> >>
> >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
> >> "VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
> >> -------------
> >
> > In what situation is registry modification obove necessary?
>
> see  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2020-01/msg00217.html

I cannot reproduce that. Without setting VirtualTerminalLevel,
I got:
[yano@Express5800-S70 ~...build/cmake]$ cmake ../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DBUILD_SHARED_LIB:BOOL=YES -DTIDY_RC_NUMBER=next.2020.01.24
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++.exe -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- *** Debug Logging is NOT enabled.
-- *** Building support for runtime configuration files.
-- *** Also building DLL library SHARED, version 5.7.28, date 2019.07.08
-- *** Generating man tidy.1 custom commands...
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/yano/tidy/tidy-html5/build/cmake
[yano@Express5800-S70 ~...build/cmake]$ make
Scanning dependencies of target tidy-share
[  1%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/access.c.o
[  3%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/attrs.c.o
[  5%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/istack.c.o
[  7%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/parser.c.o
[  8%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/tags.c.o
[ 10%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/entities.c.o
[ 12%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/lexer.c.o
[ 14%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/pprint.c.o
[ 16%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/charsets.c.o
[ 17%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/clean.c.o
[ 19%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/message.c.o
[ 21%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/config.c.o
[ 23%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/alloc.c.o
[ 25%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/attrdict.c.o
[ 26%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/buffio.c.o
[ 28%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/fileio.c.o
[ 30%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/streamio.c.o
[ 32%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/tagask.c.o
[ 33%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/tmbstr.c.o
[ 35%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/utf8.c.o
[ 37%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/tidylib.c.o
[ 39%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/mappedio.c.o
[ 41%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/gdoc.c.o
[ 42%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/language.c.o
[ 44%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/messageobj.c.o
[ 46%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-share.dir/src/sprtf.c.o
[ 48%] Linking C shared library cygtidy-5.dll
[ 48%] Built target tidy-share
Scanning dependencies of target tidy-static
[ 50%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/access.c.o
[ 51%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/attrs.c.o
[ 53%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/istack.c.o
[ 55%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/parser.c.o
[ 57%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/tags.c.o
[ 58%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/entities.c.o
[ 60%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/lexer.c.o
[ 62%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/pprint.c.o
[ 64%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/charsets.c.o
[ 66%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/clean.c.o
[ 67%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/message.c.o
[ 69%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/config.c.o
[ 71%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/alloc.c.o
[ 73%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/attrdict.c.o
[ 75%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/buffio.c.o
[ 76%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/fileio.c.o
[ 78%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/streamio.c.o
[ 80%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/tagask.c.o
[ 82%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/tmbstr.c.o
[ 83%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/utf8.c.o
[ 85%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/tidylib.c.o
[ 87%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/mappedio.c.o
[ 89%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/gdoc.c.o
[ 91%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/language.c.o
[ 92%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/messageobj.c.o
[ 94%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/sprtf.c.o
[ 96%] Linking C static library libtidys.a
[ 96%] Built target tidy-static
Scanning dependencies of target tidy
[ 98%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy.dir/console/tidy.c.o
[100%] Linking C executable tidy.exe
[100%] Built target tidy
Scanning dependencies of target man
Generate /home/yano/tidy/tidy-html5/build/cmake/tidy-help.xml
Generate /home/yano/tidy/tidy-html5/build/cmake/tidy-config.xml
Generate tidy.1
[100%] Built target man

Isn't this right behaviour?

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

On 2/20/20, Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:34:59 -0700
> Brian Inglis wrote:
>> Windows programs which emit (or use?) console ANSI escape sequences run
>> from cmd
>> (which by default switches off Virtual Terminal ANSI Escape Sequence
>> handling
>> for programs run from it) and which do not themselves set that console
>> mode (or
>> can not because they were written for earlier Windows which does not
>> support
>> that flag).
>
> I see. Since it appeared in the context of cygwin stability,
> I thought it is a cygwin problem.

It seems to be a cygwin problem; I've never seen anything like that
with cmake before.
& like I said earlier, this was from a mintty session started from a
desktop shortcut

I don't see that problem on my old PC
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 i3668 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin

Lee

On 2/20/20, Takashi Yano wrote:

> [...]
> [ 85%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/tidylib.c.o
> [ 87%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/mappedio.c.o
> [ 89%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/gdoc.c.o
> [ 91%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/language.c.o
> [ 92%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/messageobj.c.o
> [ 94%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy-static.dir/src/sprtf.c.o
> [ 96%] Linking C static library libtidys.a
> [ 96%] Built target tidy-static
> Scanning dependencies of target tidy
> [ 98%] Building C object CMakeFiles/tidy.dir/console/tidy.c.o
> [100%] Linking C executable tidy.exe
> [100%] Built target tidy
> Scanning dependencies of target man
> Generate /home/yano/tidy/tidy-html5/build/cmake/tidy-help.xml
> Generate /home/yano/tidy/tidy-html5/build/cmake/tidy-config.xml

yes, that looks good.

I had that weird
-- Build files have been written to: /source/tidy/tidy-html5/build/cmake
 [  1%] o
         [  3%]
                 [  5%] o
                         [  7%]
                                [  8%] o
                                        [ 10%] o

that didn't happen after making the registry change -- and that was
the only change I made.

I'll try backing out the registry change & see if it still happens.

Lee

On 2/20/20, Lee  wrote:
> I'll try backing out the registry change & see if it still happens.

It doesn't happen now.

I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\VirtualTerminalLevel
rebooted
deleted all the .o files under /source/tidy & rebuilt
The output of cmake looks normal

I updated cygwin this morning:
2020/02/20 07:49:28 Augmented Transaction List:
2020/02/20 07:49:28    0 install cygwin                 3.1.4-1
2020/02/20 07:49:28    1   erase cygwin                 3.1.2-1
2020/02/20 07:49:28    2 install cygwin-devel           3.1.4-1
2020/02/20 07:49:28    3   erase cygwin-devel           3.1.2-1

is it possible that fixed it?

Lee

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Takashi Yano
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:47:25 -0500
Lee wrote:

> On 2/20/20, Lee  wrote:
> > I'll try backing out the registry change & see if it still happens.
>
> It doesn't happen now.
>
> I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console\VirtualTerminalLevel
> rebooted
> deleted all the .o files under /source/tidy & rebuilt
> The output of cmake looks normal
>
> I updated cygwin this morning:
> 2020/02/20 07:49:28 Augmented Transaction List:
> 2020/02/20 07:49:28    0 install cygwin                 3.1.4-1
> 2020/02/20 07:49:28    1   erase cygwin                 3.1.2-1
> 2020/02/20 07:49:28    2 install cygwin-devel           3.1.4-1
> 2020/02/20 07:49:28    3   erase cygwin-devel           3.1.2-1
>
> is it possible that fixed it?

I am not sure. In my environment the problem does not occur
even with cygwin 3.1.2. Therefore, the cause cannot be identified.

--
Takashi Yano <[hidden email]>

Re: Is Cygwin 3.1.X Stable Enough to Use?

Paul Moore
I had the same issue and it was fixed by 3.1.4, so yes upgrading was
likely the fix.
Paul

On 2/21/20, Paul Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had the same issue and it was fixed by 3.1.4, so yes upgrading was
> likely the fix.
> Paul

So, getting back to the OPs question about the stability of the
current cygwin.. I'd say yes, it is "stable" now.  The only problem
I've seen doesn't happen after I upgraded and other pty issues seem to
be closing fast

Lee

On 2020-02-21 07:26, Lee wrote:

> On 2/21/20, Paul Moore wrote:

>>> I am not sure. In my environment the problem does not occur
>>> even with cygwin 3.1.2. Therefore, the cause cannot be identified.

>> I had the same issue and it was fixed by 3.1.4, so yes upgrading was
>> likely the fix.

> So, getting back to the OPs question about the stability of the
> current cygwin.. I'd say yes, it is "stable" now.  The only problem
> I've seen doesn't happen after I upgraded and other pty issues seem to
> be closing fast

Check the git logs linked from the https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ page:

        https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=shortlog
        https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=log

and the patches mailing list archive:

        https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/current/threads.html

and you will see there is current activity which may be settled by the next
release 3.1.5.