Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man

Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man

Shaddy Baddah-2
Hi,

I'm interested in submitting and maintaining Marc Vertes txt2man package
  (http://mvertes.free.fr/). This package is also available in debian
(http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/txt2man).

It is a pretty small package, and I understand if it is considered to
small for a stand-alone package, however there is no harm in proposing
right (at least it worked on one occasion that I tried it ;-) ).

The txt2man setup.hint would look like this:

category: Text Doc
requires: bash gawk cygwin
sdesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format"
ldesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format. It is a
shell
script using gnu awk, that should run on any Unix like system.
"

Can I just pass one comment? The Cygwin Package Contributor's Guide
(http://cygwin.com/setup.html) is great. However, one area it does not
address, and I am aware that is because in general it is a un-documented
area, is how to test a package you have created. That is, to install a
stand-alone package, away from pointing Cygwin Setup at the mirrors.
Actually, I am assuming it is undocumented. Pointers are off course welcome.

Regards,
Shaddy

Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man & MiMMS

Shaddy Baddah-2
Hi again,

Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> I'm interested in submitting and maintaining Marc Vertes txt2man package
>  (http://mvertes.free.fr/). This package is also available in debian
> (http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/txt2man).
>
> It is a pretty small package, and I understand if it is considered to
> small for a stand-alone package, however there is no harm in proposing
> right (at least it worked on one occasion that I tried it ;-) ).

I neglected to mention a motive for wanting this package accepted. I
intended to, and may as well do, propose maintaining the MiMMS MMS
(mms://) streaming media download utility
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/mimms/). This package is also
available in Debian (http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/mimms).

If txt2man is not available, then it cast doubts on MiMMS, merely
because the source package uses txt2man to generate the man page. Not
having txt2man will break the expectation that MiMMS can be compiled
from source.

The mimms setup.hint would look like this:

category: web
requires: libpopt0 cygwin
sdesc:    "MMS (mms://) streaming media download utility"
ldesc:    "MiMMS, formerly called "mmsclient", is a simple client to
download
streaming audio and/or video media from the internet using the MMS
protocol (i.e. from mms:// type URLs, generally found in asx
files). Downloaded streams can then be replayed offline at your
leisure, using any compatible media player of your choice.
"

Regards,
Shaddy

Re: Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man

Igor Peshansky
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> I'm interested in submitting and maintaining Marc Vertes txt2man package
> (http://mvertes.free.fr/). This package is also available in debian
> (http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/txt2man).
>
> It is a pretty small package, and I understand if it is considered to
> small for a stand-alone package, however there is no harm in proposing
> right (at least it worked on one occasion that I tried it ;-) ).

I don't think we have a lower size limit on packages...

> The txt2man setup.hint would look like this:
>
> category: Text Doc
> requires: bash gawk cygwin
> sdesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format"
> ldesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format. It is a
> shell script using gnu awk, that should run on any Unix like system.
> "

I'd remove the final newline from ldesc, and change sdesc to something
like "A script for converting flat ASCII text to man page format", since
setup will prepend "txt2man: " to the sdesc.

Also, FWIW, help2man, which performs a similar function, is in Devel only.

> Can I just pass one comment? The Cygwin Package Contributor's Guide
> (http://cygwin.com/setup.html) is great. However, one area it does not
> address, and I am aware that is because in general it is a un-documented
> area, is how to test a package you have created. That is, to install a
> stand-alone package, away from pointing Cygwin Setup at the mirrors.
> Actually, I am assuming it is undocumented. Pointers are off course
> welcome.

I thought pointers were supposed to set you *on* course... :-)

One easy way to do this is to install a web server (apache, in my case),
create a /var/www/cygwin directory with the right structure, and then just
add "http://localhost/cygwin/" to the mirror list (of course, you can do
the same with inetutils and ftp).  For the correct structure, see
<http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>.
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man

Brian Dessent
Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> sdesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format"

Please do not start the sdesc with the name of the package.  It will
display as "txt2man: Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page
format" in setup which is redundant.  It should read something like
"txt2man: A tool to convert flat ASCII text to man page format".

> area, is how to test a package you have created. That is, to install a
> stand-alone package, away from pointing Cygwin Setup at the mirrors.
> Actually, I am assuming it is undocumented. Pointers are off course welcome.

Create your own mirror directory structure and then point setup to it,
either using a webserver or just using the "Install from local
directory" option.

Brian

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Create your own mirror directory structure and then point setup to it,
> either using a webserver or just using the "Install from local
> directory" option.

And to create the setup.ini at the top of your directory structure from
the various setup.hints, you can use
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00142.html>.

Brian

On 12/31/2005 10:02 PM, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> I'd remove the final newline from ldesc, and change sdesc to something
> like "A script for converting flat ASCII text to man page format", since
> setup will prepend "txt2man: " to the sdesc.
>
> Also, FWIW, help2man, which performs a similar function, is in Devel only.

Cheers for that. Is it a "no no" to take a copy of Debian's equivalent
descriptions, and and adapt them... as candidates of course.

> I thought pointers were supposed to set you *on* course... :-)

Of course ;-)

> One easy way to do this is to install a web server (apache, in my case),
> create a /var/www/cygwin directory with the right structure, and then just
> add "http://localhost/cygwin/" to the mirror list (of course, you can do
> the same with inetutils and ftp).  For the correct structure, see
> <http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>.
> HTH,

It does thanks.

On 1/1/2006 12:03 AM, Brian Dessent wrote:
 > Please do not start the sdesc with the name of the package.  It will
 > display as "txt2man: Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page
 > format" in setup which is redundant.  It should read something like
 > "txt2man: A tool to convert flat ASCII text to man page format".

Thanks for the suggestion. Debian has it's short description as
"Converts flat ASCII text to man page format". If adapting Debian
package descriptions are OK, then my new proposed setup.hint would be:

category: Text Doc
requires: bash gawk cygwin
sdesc:    "Converts flat ASCII text to man page format"
ldesc:    "It is a shell script using gnu awk, that should run on any
Unix-like
system. The syntax of the ASCII text is very straightforward and looks
very much like the output of the man(1) program.
"

On 1/1/2006 12:14 AM, Brian Dessent wrote:
 > Brian Dessent wrote:
 >
 >> Create your own mirror directory structure and then point setup to it,
 >> either using a webserver or just using the "Install from local
 >> directory" option.
 >
 > And to create the setup.ini at the top of your directory structure from
 > the various setup.hints, you can use
 > <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00142.html>.

That's the missing link there, so thanks for that.

Regards,
Shaddy

Re: Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man & MiMMS

Shaddy Baddah-2

On 12/31/2005 7:27 PM, Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> The mimms setup.hint would look like this:
>
> category: web
> requires: libpopt0 cygwin
> sdesc:    "MMS (mms://) streaming media download utility"
> ldesc:    "MiMMS, formerly called "mmsclient", is a simple client to
> download
> streaming audio and/or video media from the internet using the MMS
> protocol (i.e. from mms:// type URLs, generally found in asx
> files). Downloaded streams can then be replayed offline at your
> leisure, using any compatible media player of your choice.
> "

Suspecting that my usage of quotation (and trailing newline) maybe poor,
please allow me to have another stab at this please:

category: web
requires: libpopt0 cygwin
sdesc:    "MMS (mms://) streaming media download utility"
ldesc:    "MiMMS, formerly called 'mmsclient', is a simple client to
download
streaming audio and/or video media from the internet using the MMS
protocol (i.e. from mms:// type URLs, generally found in asx
files). Downloaded streams can then be replayed offline at your
leisure, using any compatible media player of your choice."

Really anxious for a response to this.

Thanks in advance,
Shaddy