[ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

cygwin-apps mailing list
Hi,
I am volunteering to be the maintainer for xxhash. This is my first
ITP, so I'm sure that I don't have everything right.

The package is currently distributed on, at least, Ubuntu and Archlinux.

The library files xxhash.c and xxhash.h are BSD licensed. The utility
xxhsum is GPL licensed.

The package compiles cleanly and all tests run successfully, without
any cygwin specific patches.

You may download the current version of the dist files from
https://github.com/djhenderson/Temp/raw/master/xxhash.zip

I have some issues to resolve.

The install places files into the /usr/local tree instead of the /usr
tree. Usually I would just do "PREFIX=/ make", but that does not work,
so I'm not sure how to do this from the cygport file.

How do I change the name of the shared library to something like
cygxxhash.0.dll?

Do I need the libxxhash.a file? I think I should split the package
into devel and non-dev packages..Again, I'm not sure how to do that.
Or if that is necessary.

I am currently the maintainer for expat, mingw64-i686-expat,
mingw64-x86_64-expat packages.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

Achim Gratz
Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps writes:
> I have some issues to resolve.

Yes, hand-written Makefiles that change constantly.  X-(

> The install places files into the /usr/local tree instead of the /usr
> tree. Usually I would just do "PREFIX=/ make", but that does not work,
> so I'm not sure how to do this from the cygport file.

You're missing an export in front of setting that variable, I'd think.

> How do I change the name of the shared library to something like
> cygxxhash.0.dll?

By patching the Makefile, just like you need to do for all the other
stuff from the same author.  You can have a look at the zstd packages.

> Do I need the libxxhash.a file?

No, the static library shouldn't be packaged.

> I think I should split the package into devel and non-dev packages.

Yes please.


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

Achim Gratz
ASSI writes:
> By patching the Makefile, just like you need to do for all the other
> stuff from the same author.  You can have a look at the zstd packages.

Come to think of it, xxhash is already part of zstd.  Can't you just
link to that?


Regards,
Achim.
--
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

cygwin-apps mailing list
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:29, ASSI <> wrote:

>
> ASSI writes:
> > By patching the Makefile, just like you need to do for all the other
> > stuff from the same author.  You can have a look at the zstd packages.
>
> Come to think of it, xxhash is already part of zstd.  Can't you just
> link to that?
>
>
> Regards,
> Achim.

I have patched the Makefile as suggested. The newest version of the
dist files as located at

https://github.com/djhenderson/Temp/raw/master/xxhash.zip

I compared the xxhash sources between the xxhash repo and the zstd
repo. There are major differences in the code. This is obvious from wc

$ wc -l /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.c
/usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.c
   43 /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.c
  864 /usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.c
  907 total

$ wc -l /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.h
/usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.h
 2076 /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.h
  285 /usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.h
 2361 total

I had a brief look at the code, but did not attempt to judge the
merits of either code base.

The zstd repo does not include the xxhsum command which has a similar
CLI to cksum, md5sum, sha256sum, etc.

Apparently xxhash will use the SSE2 instructions for some operations.
Someone with an older CPU without those instructions should test to
make sure the xxhsum programs works for them. (I'm just saying that, I
don't really know what that means.)

Any way, I would like some critical feedback on the dist packaging.

Thanks,
Doug
--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

Ben RUBSON
> On 14 Jul 2020, at 21:51, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:29, ASSI <> wrote:
>>
>> ASSI writes:
>>> By patching the Makefile, just like you need to do for all the other
>>> stuff from the same author.  You can have a look at the zstd packages.
>>
>> Come to think of it, xxhash is already part of zstd.  Can't you just
>> link to that?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>
> I have patched the Makefile as suggested. The newest version of the
> dist files as located at
>
> https://github.com/djhenderson/Temp/raw/master/xxhash.zip
>

> (...)
>
> Any way, I would like some critical feedback on the dist packaging.

Many thanks Doug, really nice work !
At least I successfully manage to build rsync with this package :

$ uname -s -r
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 3.1.6(0.340/5/3)

$ ./rsync --version
rsync  version 3.2.3dev  protocol version 31
(...)
Optimizations:
    no SIMD, asm, openssl-crypto
Checksum list:
    xxh64 (xxhash) md5 md4 none
Compress list:
    zstd lz4 zlibx zlib none

Not sure about the other things to check though.

Kind regards,

Ben

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

Ben RUBSON
> On 14 Jul 2020, at 21:51, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:29, ASSI <> wrote:
>>
>> ASSI writes:
>>> By patching the Makefile, just like you need to do for all the other
>>> stuff from the same author.  You can have a look at the zstd packages.
>>
>> Come to think of it, xxhash is already part of zstd.  Can't you just
>> link to that?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>
> I have patched the Makefile as suggested. The newest version of the
> dist files as located at
>
> https://github.com/djhenderson/Temp/raw/master/xxhash.zip
>
> (...)
>
> Any way, I would like some critical feedback on the dist packaging.

Hi,

Not sure about the whole integration process, but any news perhaps regarding this package release ?

Thank you very much,

Kind regards,

Ben
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

cygwin-apps mailing list
On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 04:41, Ben RUBSON <> wrote:
> > On 14 Jul 2020, at 21:51, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps <> wrote:
> >
> > I have patched the Makefile as suggested. The newest version of the
> > dist files as located at
> >
> > https://github.com/djhenderson/Temp/raw/master/xxhash.zip

> > Any way, I would like some critical feedback on the dist packaging.
>
> Hi,
>
> Not sure about the whole integration process, but any news perhaps regarding this package release ?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ben

I have not received any feedback on the current packaging, nor an
enthusiastic buy in for the package.

Apparently a version of the code is already packaged in the zstd
package because that package uses xxhash. Please see if that will work
for your use case and report back here.

Thanks.

Doug
--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

cygwin-apps mailing list
In reply to this post by cygwin-apps mailing list
On 14.07.2020 21:51, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:29, ASSI <> wrote:
>>
>> ASSI writes:
>>> By patching the Makefile, just like you need to do for all the other
>>> stuff from the same author.  You can have a look at the zstd packages.
>>
>> Come to think of it, xxhash is already part of zstd.  Can't you just
>> link to that?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>
> I have patched the Makefile as suggested. The newest version of the
> dist files as located at
>
> https://github.com/djhenderson/Temp/raw/master/xxhash.zip
>
> I compared the xxhash sources between the xxhash repo and the zstd
> repo. There are major differences in the code. This is obvious from wc
>
> $ wc -l /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.c
> /usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.c
>     43 /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.c
>    864 /usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.c
>    907 total
>
> $ wc -l /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.h
> /usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.h
>   2076 /usr/src/xxhash.src/xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64/origsrc/xxHash-0.7.4/xxhash.h
>    285 /usr/src/zstd-1.4.5-1.src/zstd-1.4.5-1.x86_64/origsrc/zstd-1.4.5/lib/common/xxhash.h
>   2361 total
>
> I had a brief look at the code, but did not attempt to judge the
> merits of either code base.
>
> The zstd repo does not include the xxhsum command which has a similar
> CLI to cksum, md5sum, sha256sum, etc.
>
> Apparently xxhash will use the SSE2 instructions for some operations.
> Someone with an older CPU without those instructions should test to
> make sure the xxhsum programs works for them. (I'm just saying that, I
> don't really know what that means.)
>
> Any way, I would like some critical feedback on the dist packaging.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
>

$ cygport xxhash-0.7.4-1.cygport all
 >>> Preparing xxhash-0.7.4-1.x86_64
 >>> Unpacking source xxhash-0.7.4-1.tar.gz
*** ERROR: SRC_DIR is not correctly defined

this happens when the system is case sensitive, see
attachment for solution.

Additional, you do not need a version in the cygport file name.

Any reason to have not defined a proper patch as originally
planned ?


PATCH_URI="
"
#       xxhash-cygwin-build-1.src.patch
#       xxhash-cygming-dll.patch

looks good, but I have no time for adding the package to
cygwin-pkg-maint

so if no one do it before, I will add it this evening (CET)

Regards
Marco


xxhash.cygport (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 03.08.2020 07:58, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 14.07.2020 21:51, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:29, ASSI <> wrote:
>>>

>
> looks good, but I have no time for adding the package to
> cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> so if no one do it before, I will add it this evening (CET)
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

Doug,
you can upload

Regards
Marco
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] xxhash 0.7.4-1

Ben RUBSON
> On 3 Aug 2020, at 18:08, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 03.08.2020 07:58, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> On 14.07.2020 21:51, Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:29, ASSI <> wrote:
>>>>
>
>> looks good, but I have no time for adding the package to
>> cygwin-pkg-maint
>> so if no one do it before, I will add it this evening (CET)
>> Regards
>> Marco
>
> Doug,
> you can upload

Hi,

Did you somehow manage to go further ? :)

Thank you again guys !

Best regards,

Ben