[ITP] words - Dictionary file

David Stacey
My good deed for the day. See

Based heavily on the Fedora package of the same name.

# noarch:
BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release
<https://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/ExternalURLProxy?d=tiscali.co.uk&u=drstacey&url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release&urlHash=-1.1391839367361273E-13>
wget --no-check-certificate --no-host-directories --force-directories
--cut-dirs=5 \
${BASEURL}/words/setup.hint \
${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1-src.tar.xz \
${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1.tar.xz

Dave.

Re: [ITP] words - Dictionary file

David Stacey
On 12/07/2016 23:22, David Stacey wrote:
> My good deed for the day. See
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-07/msg00129.html
>
> Based heavily on the Fedora package of the same name.

Schtoopid Thunderbird. Let's try those links again.

# noarch:
BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release
wget --no-check-certificate --no-host-directories --force-directories
--cut-dirs=5 \
${BASEURL}/words/setup.hint \
${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1-src.tar.xz \
${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1.tar.xz

Dave.

Re: [ITP] words - Dictionary file

marco atzeri-4
On 13/07/2016 00:26, David Stacey wrote:

> On 12/07/2016 23:22, David Stacey wrote:
>> My good deed for the day. See
>> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-07/msg00129.html
>>
>> Based heavily on the Fedora package of the same name.
>
> Schtoopid Thunderbird. Let's try those links again.
>
> # noarch:
> BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release
> wget --no-check-certificate --no-host-directories --force-directories
> --cut-dirs=5 \
> ${BASEURL}/words/setup.hint \
> ${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1-src.tar.xz \
> ${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1.tar.xz
>
> Dave.

it looks fine.

Added the package to cygwin-pkg-maint

Re: [ITP] words - Dictionary file

Ken Brown-6
On 7/13/2016 4:17 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 13/07/2016 00:26, David Stacey wrote:
>> On 12/07/2016 23:22, David Stacey wrote:
>>> My good deed for the day. See
>>> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-07/msg00129.html
>>>
>>> Based heavily on the Fedora package of the same name.
>>
>> Schtoopid Thunderbird. Let's try those links again.
>>
>> # noarch:
>> BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release
>>
>> wget --no-check-certificate --no-host-directories --force-directories
>> --cut-dirs=5 \
>> ${BASEURL}/words/setup.hint \
>> ${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1-src.tar.xz \
>> ${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1.tar.xz
>>
>> Dave.
>>

> it looks fine.
>
> Added the package to cygwin-pkg-maint

This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:

   https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html

On 13/07/2016 14:57, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 7/13/2016 4:17 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>>> Schtoopid Thunderbird. Let's try those links again.
>>>
>>> # noarch:
>>> BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release
>>>

>>> wget --no-check-certificate --no-host-directories --force-directories
>>> --cut-dirs=5 \
>>> ${BASEURL}/words/setup.hint \
>>> ${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1-src.tar.xz \
>>> ${BASEURL}/words/words-3.0-1.tar.xz
>>>
>>> Dave.
>>>

>> it looks fine.
>>
>> Added the package to cygwin-pkg-maint
>
> This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:
>
>   https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html
>
> Ken

the two packages seem to provide different word lists.
In theory both can coexist

David, Warren ?

On 13/07/16 14:30, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 13/07/2016 14:57, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> it looks fine.
>>>
>>> Added the package to cygwin-pkg-maint
>>
>> This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:
>>
>> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html
>>
>> Ken
>>

> the two packages seem to provide different word lists.
> In theory both can coexist

Not as they stand - both packages provide the /usr/share/dict/words symlink.

I've done a little digging. Here's where /usr/share/dict/words comes
from on various distros:

   - words - ALT, Arch?, CentOS, Fedora, Mageia, OpenMandriva, ROSA
   - bsd-games - Slackware (that's just plain wrong!)
   - wamerican - Ubuntu
   - Not present at all - Debian?

'miscfiles' is available on Debian and Ubuntu, but nether provides the
/usr/share/dict/words symlink.

Obviously, we don't have to follow any of that - this is just an
observation of what other distros do.

How should Cygwin proceed? Is this a case for alternatives, or is that a
little over the top for a dictionary? Should one of the packages drop
the symlink? Do we need both 'miscfiles' and 'words' packages? Should we
drop 'words' if 'miscfiles' provides a superset of the data?

Any thoughts?

Dave.

Re: [ITP] words - Dictionary file

Brian Inglis
David Stacey <drstacey@...> writes:

> On 13/07/16 14:30, Marco Atzeri wrote:

BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release

>>> This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:
>>> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html
>> the two packages seem to provide different word lists.
>> In theory both can coexist
> Not as they stand - both packages provide the /usr/share/dict/words symlink.
> I've done a little digging. Here's where /usr/share/dict/words comes from
on various distros:
> - words - ALT, Arch?, CentOS, Fedora, Mageia, OpenMandriva, ROSA
> - bsd-games - Slackware (that's just plain wrong!)
> - wamerican - Ubuntu
> - Not present at all - Debian?
> 'miscfiles' is available on Debian and Ubuntu, but nether provides the
/usr/share/dict/words symlink.

On Debian, miscfiles and others provide virtual package wordlist which is
provided in /etc/dictionaries-common/; miscfiles /usr/share/dict/web2
is symlinked as /etc/dictionaries-common/words which is symlinked as
/usr/share/dict/words. Spelling and other dictionary packages also provide
wordlists and other dictionary types linked thru /etc/dictionaries-common/.
Setup is by sysadmin selecting a language or variation.

> Obviously, we don't have to follow any of that - this is just an
> observation of what other distros do.
> How should Cygwin proceed? Is this a case for alternatives, or is that a
> little over the top for a dictionary? Should one of the packages drop
> the symlink? Do we need both 'miscfiles' and 'words' packages? Should we
> drop 'words' if 'miscfiles' provides a superset of the data?

Debian does not use alternatives for this, but its own standard locations
and symlinks for virtual packages: alternatives looks like mainly tools, man
pages, some libs, icons, images, lots for Gnome.

Re: [ITP] words - Dictionary file

Warren Young-2
On Jul 13, 2016, at 7:30 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:

>> This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:
>>
>>  https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html
>>
> the two packages seem to provide different word lists.

Yes.  The ‘words’ package’s source is the Moby Project, released into the public domain in the mid-1990s:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Project

The words file in my package comes from an out-of-copyright edition of the Merriam-Webster dictionary from the 1920s.

Therefore, the words package is more likely to be useful for any modern purpose.

Much of the rest of the contents of the miscfiles package is also quite outdated.  Some of it is continually-changing information that hasn’t been touched in a decade or so.

The only thing I see in it that I think might actually be useful are the ASCII, Latin-1 and UTF-8 tables, which are useful on Cygwin since its manpages don’t include equivalents, as many other *ixes do.  But that said, I think I’d rather just have the man pages, since I’ve gotten into the habit of saying “man ascii” and such.

On 14/07/16 15:56, Warren Young wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 7:30 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>
>>> This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:
>>>
>>>   https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html
>>>
>> the two packages seem to provide different word lists.
> Yes.  The ‘words’ package’s source is the Moby Project, released into the public domain in the mid-1990s:
>
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Project
>
> The words file in my package comes from an out-of-copyright edition of the Merriam-Webster dictionary from the 1920s.
>
> Therefore, the words package is more likely to be useful for any modern purpose.

So are you happy for me to upload the 'words' package as it is at the
moment?

Dave.

On Jul 14, 2016, at 10:23 AM, David Stacey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> the words package is more likely to be useful for any modern purpose.
>
> So are you happy for me to upload the 'words' package as it is at the moment?

To the extent that I am a gatekeeper, sure.

I think the real question is whether anyone wants miscfiles now.