[ITP] wget2 - modern fast parallel file and recursive website downloader

12

[ITP] wget2 - modern fast parallel file and recursive website downloader

Brian Inglis
wget2 is the successor of wget supplying a shared library API like curl to build
a modern, fast, multi-threaded, parallel downloader using HTTP/2, HTTP
compression and If-Modified-Since headers; see

        https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2

It is currently available on Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware:
see
        https://pkgs.org/download/wget2

I could release the package as is with an exe and dll, but it should be built as
separate bin, lib, devel, doc, and debuginfo packages, which I have never done
before, so could do with some advice and assistance with the apporach required,
which I based on curl, but that requires no script function overrides, and I
believe this one may or I need some hints.

I have attached my base wget2.cygport which builds one monolithic package but
contains comments for subpackage variables, plus comments showing other files
which I think should be included in the subpackages, and both references to
their locations in subpkg_CONTENTS and alterbative src_install script actions if
cygport will not move the contents into the appropriate install directory.

I also need to understand how cyg...dll package numbering should work with this
package: base zero or one and include or exclude the 2: libwget0, libwget1,
libwget2_0, or libwget2_1, and how to get that generated?

Any advice, assistance, help, or hints from more experienced packagers would be
welcome.

I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget if he
agrees.

I could also ITA curl from Yaakov as I use that and wget a lot in scripts and
cron jobs.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

manifest.list (1K) Download Attachment
wget2.cygport (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [ITP] wget2 - modern fast parallel file and recursive website downloader

Brian Inglis
On 2020-07-08 14:05, Brian Inglis wrote:

> wget2 is the successor of wget supplying a shared library API like curl to build
> a modern, fast, multi-threaded, parallel downloader using HTTP/2, HTTP
> compression and If-Modified-Since headers; see
>
> https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2
>
> It is currently available on Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware:
> see
> https://pkgs.org/download/wget2
>
> I could release the package as is with an exe and dll, but it should be built as
> separate bin, lib, devel, doc, and debuginfo packages, which I have never done
> before, so could do with some advice and assistance with the apporach required,
> which I based on curl, but that requires no script function overrides, and I
> believe this one may or I need some hints.
>
> I have attached my base wget2.cygport which builds one monolithic package but
> contains comments for subpackage variables, plus comments showing other files
> which I think should be included in the subpackages, and both references to
> their locations in subpkg_CONTENTS and alterbative src_install script actions if
> cygport will not move the contents into the appropriate install directory.

Forgot to explain I also produced a summary of the files generated and/or
available for packaging under the triplet directory in manifest.list to my
previous email.

> I also need to understand how cyg...dll package numbering should work with this
> package: base zero or one and include or exclude the 2: libwget0, libwget1,
> libwget2_0, or libwget2_1, and how to get that generated?
>
> Any advice, assistance, help, or hints from more experienced packagers would be
> welcome.
>
> I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
> original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget if he
> agrees.
>
> I could also ITA curl from Yaakov as I use that and wget a lot in scripts and
> cron jobs.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

Re: [ITP] wget2 - modern fast parallel file and recursive website downloader

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 08.07.2020 22:28, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-07-08 14:05, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> wget2 is the successor of wget supplying a shared library API like curl to build
>> a modern, fast, multi-threaded, parallel downloader using HTTP/2, HTTP
>> compression and If-Modified-Since headers; see
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2
>>
>> It is currently available on Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware:
>> see
>> https://pkgs.org/download/wget2
>>
>> I could release the package as is with an exe and dll, but it should be built as
>> separate bin, lib, devel, doc, and debuginfo packages, which I have never done
>> before, so could do with some advice and assistance with the apporach required,
>> which I based on curl, but that requires no script function overrides, and I
>> believe this one may or I need some hints.
>>
>> I have attached my base wget2.cygport which builds one monolithic package but
>> contains comments for subpackage variables, plus comments showing other files
>> which I think should be included in the subpackages, and both references to
>> their locations in subpkg_CONTENTS and alterbative src_install script actions if
>> cygport will not move the contents into the appropriate install directory.
>
> Forgot to explain I also produced a summary of the files generated and/or
> available for packaging under the triplet directory in manifest.list to my
> previous email.
>
>> I also need to understand how cyg...dll package numbering should work with this
>> package: base zero or one and include or exclude the 2: libwget0, libwget1,
>> libwget2_0, or libwget2_1, and how to get that generated?
>>
>> Any advice, assistance, help, or hints from more experienced packagers would be
>> welcome.
>>
>> I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
>> original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget if he
>> agrees.
>>
>> I could also ITA curl from Yaakov as I use that and wget a lot in scripts and
>> cron jobs.

My suggestion:

this in libwget2_0 (per consistency) or libwget0

/usr/bin/cygwget-0.dll

these in wget2

/usr/bin/wget2.exe
/usr/share/doc/wget2/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/wget2/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/wget2/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/wget2/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/wget2/README
/usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
plus also the manual page that it is missing

What is this ? It seems a duplicate of wget2

/usr/bin/wget2_noinstall.exe

these in libwget2-devel or libwget-devel

/usr/include/wget.h
/usr/include/wgetver.h
/usr/lib/libwget.dll.a
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libwget.pc
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-base64.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-bitmap.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-console.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-dns-caching.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-dns.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-error.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-hash.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-hashmap.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-io.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-ip.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-list.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-mem.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-net.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-parse_atom.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-parse_sitemap.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-printf.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-random.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-robots.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-stringmap.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-thread.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-utils.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-vector.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-xalloc.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/libwget-xml.3.gz

Re: [ITP] wget2 - modern fast parallel file and recursive website downloader

Yaakov Selkowitz
On Thu, 2020-07-09 at 20:27 +0200, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 08.07.2020 22:28, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > On 2020-07-08 14:05, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > > wget2 is the successor of wget supplying a shared library API like curl to build
> > > a modern, fast, multi-threaded, parallel downloader using HTTP/2, HTTP
> > > compression and If-Modified-Since headers; see
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2
> > >
> > > It is currently available on Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware:
> > > see
> > > https://pkgs.org/download/wget2
> > >
> > > I could release the package as is with an exe and dll, but it should be built as
> > > separate bin, lib, devel, doc, and debuginfo packages, which I have never done
> > > before, so could do with some advice and assistance with the apporach required,
> > > which I based on curl, but that requires no script function overrides, and I
> > > believe this one may or I need some hints.
> > >
> > > I have attached my base wget2.cygport which builds one monolithic package but
> > > contains comments for subpackage variables, plus comments showing other files
> > > which I think should be included in the subpackages, and both references to
> > > their locations in subpkg_CONTENTS and alterbative src_install script actions if
> > > cygport will not move the contents into the appropriate install directory.
> >
> > Forgot to explain I also produced a summary of the files generated and/or
> > available for packaging under the triplet directory in manifest.list to my
> > previous email.
> >
> > > I also need to understand how cyg...dll package numbering should work with this
> > > package: base zero or one and include or exclude the 2: libwget0, libwget1,
> > > libwget2_0, or libwget2_1, and how to get that generated?
> > >
> > > Any advice, assistance, help, or hints from more experienced packagers would be
> > > welcome.
> > >
> > > I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
> > > original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget if he
> > > agrees.
> > >
> > > I could also ITA curl from Yaakov as I use that and wget a lot in scripts and
> > > cron jobs.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> this in libwget2_0 (per consistency) or libwget0
>
> /usr/bin/cygwget-0.dll

libwget0, based on the library name.

> these in wget2
>
> /usr/bin/wget2.exe
> /usr/share/doc/wget2/AUTHORS
> /usr/share/doc/wget2/COPYING
> /usr/share/doc/wget2/ChangeLog
> /usr/share/doc/wget2/NEWS
> /usr/share/doc/wget2/README
> /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
> plus also the manual page that it is missing
>

> What is this ? It seems a duplicate of wget2
>
> /usr/bin/wget2_noinstall.exe

Simply based on the name, I'm guessing it shouldn't be installed?

> these in libwget2-devel or libwget-devel

libwget-devel, based on the library name.

On 2020-07-09 12:50, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-07-09 at 20:27 +0200, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:

>>> Forgot to explain I also produced a summary of the files generated and/or
>>> available for packaging under the triplet directory in manifest.list to my
>>> previous email.

>> My suggestion:
>>
>> this in libwget2_0 (per consistency) or libwget0
>>
>> /usr/bin/cygwget-0.dll
>
> libwget0, based on the library name.
>
>> these in wget2
>>
>> /usr/bin/wget2.exe
>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/AUTHORS
>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/COPYING
>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/ChangeLog
>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/NEWS
>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/README
>> /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>> plus also the manual page that it is missing
>>

>> What is this ? It seems a duplicate of wget2
>>
>> /usr/bin/wget2_noinstall.exe

Test version - the "summary" in manifest.list excludes all the test and fuzz files.

> Simply based on the name, I'm guessing it shouldn't be installed?
>
>> these in libwget2-devel or libwget-devel
>
> libwget-devel, based on the library name.
>
>> /usr/include/wget.h
>> /usr/include/wgetver.h
>> /usr/lib/libwget.dll.a
>> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libwget.pc
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-base64.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-bitmap.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-console.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-dns-caching.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-dns.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-error.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-hash.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-hashmap.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-io.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-ip.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-list.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-mem.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-net.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-parse_atom.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-parse_sitemap.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-printf.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-random.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-robots.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-stringmap.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-thread.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-utils.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-vector.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-xalloc.3.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-xml.3.gz

Thanks guys.

Two points are not clear:

- how do I get the library to build explicitly as cygwgetN - is it just from the
package name libwgetN and cygport will DTRT or ...?

- can I just add the extra files (not under inst/) to the ..._CONTENTS variable
and cygport will DTRT, or do I have to add a src_install with do... script lines
to move the extra files under inst/, then add the corresponding paths under
inst/ to the ..._CONTENTS variables?

On 10.07.2020 03:38, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-07-09 12:50, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

>>> My suggestion:
>>>
>>> this in libwget2_0 (per consistency) or libwget0
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/cygwget-0.dll
>>
>> libwget0, based on the library name.
>>
>>> these in wget2
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/wget2.exe
>>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/AUTHORS
>>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/COPYING
>>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/ChangeLog
>>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/NEWS
>>> /usr/share/doc/wget2/README
>>> /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/wget2.mo
>>> plus also the manual page that it is missing
>>>

>>> What is this ? It seems a duplicate of wget2
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/wget2_noinstall.exe
>
> Test version - the "summary" in manifest.list excludes all the test and fuzz files.

it should not be installed at at all.
Sometime I remove such files in src_install()
or you can put them in PKG_IGNORE

>> Simply based on the name, I'm guessing it shouldn't be installed?
>>
>>> these in libwget2-devel or libwget-devel
>>
>> libwget-devel, based on the library name.
>>
>>> /usr/include/wget.h
>>> /usr/include/wgetver.h
>>> /usr/lib/libwget.dll.a
>>> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libwget.pc
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-base64.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-bitmap.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-console.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-dns-caching.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-dns.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-error.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-hash.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-hashmap.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-io.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-ip.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-list.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-mem.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-net.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-parse_atom.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-parse_sitemap.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-printf.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-random.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-robots.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-stringmap.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-thread.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-utils.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-vector.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-xalloc.3.gz
>>> /usr/share/man/man3/libwget-xml.3.gz
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Two points are not clear:
>
> - how do I get the library to build explicitly as cygwgetN - is it just from the
> package name libwgetN and cygport will DTRT or ...?

proper built library for Cygwin are named cygwgetN.dll so you call the
package libwget0

> - can I just add the extra files (not under inst/) to the ..._CONTENTS variable
> and cygport will DTRT, or do I have to add a src_install with do... script lines
> to move the extra files under inst/, then add the corresponding paths under
> inst/ to the ..._CONTENTS variables?

better you use in src_install() something like

        insinto /usr/share/man/man3
        doins ${S}/DOCS/man/man3/*

and then use the ..._CONTENTS so they are packed in the right position

see chapter 10 of
/usr/share/doc/cygport/html/manual/toc_index.html

On 2020-07-08 14:05, Brian Inglis wrote:
> wget2 is the successor of wget supplying a shared library API like curl to
> build a modern, fast, multi-threaded, parallel downloader using HTTP/2, HTTP
> compression and If-Modified-Since headers; see:
> https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2
> It is currently available on Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware; see:
        https://repology.org/project/wget2/versions

Thanks for help getting here and also the upstream folks!

Please review wget2 repackaged into subpackages available under:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VVuC14KuB6uShm4FQL9BuXH0hpLYnIcJ?usp=sharing

This is release 1.99.2 so ISTM this should be considered a PoC or RC for 2.0.

> I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
> original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget
> if he agrees.

Also wget 1.20.3 final release for ITA or non-maintainer upload as Eric seems MIA:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1T6Mn5r-n8r9Gk71mI_mI1IOLPZm81TB2?usp=sharing

On 10/30/20 4:30 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
>> original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget
>> if he agrees.
>
> Also wget 1.20.3 final release for ITA or non-maintainer upload as Eric seems MIA:

Yes, my time for cygwin has greatly diminished, so you are welcome to
take over wget.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org

Re: [ITA] wget

Brian Inglis
On 2020-10-30 15:34, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/30/20 4:30 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> I can also update and release what may be the last patched version of the
>>> original wget 1.20.3 (currently 1.19.1) if Eric has no time, or ITA wget
>>> if he agrees.
>>
>> Also wget 1.20.3 final release for ITA or non-maintainer upload as Eric seems MIA:

> Yes, my time for cygwin has greatly diminished, so you are welcome to
> take over wget.

Thanks Eric, good to know you're keeping so busy, expected under the circumstances!

Not a great effort as there should be no to few more wget releases.

Re: [ITA] wget

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 30.10.2020 22:57, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Also wget 1.20.3 final release for ITA or non-maintainer upload as Eric seems MIA:
>
>> Yes, my time for cygwin has greatly diminished, so you are welcome to
>> take over wget.
>
> Thanks Eric, good to know you're keeping so busy, expected under the circumstances!
>
> Not a great effort as there should be no to few more wget releases.

all your

Thanks

Re: [ITP] wget2 - please review if anyone has time

On 2020-07-08 14:05, Brian Inglis wrote:
> wget2 is the successor of wget supplying a shared library API like curl to
> build a modern, fast, multi-threaded, parallel downloader using HTTP/2, HTTP
> compression and If-Modified-Since headers; see:
> https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2
> It is currently available on Arch, Debian/Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware; see:
        https://repology.org/project/wget2/versions

Thanks for help getting here and also the upstream folks!

Please review wget2 repackaged into subpackages available under:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VVuC14KuB6uShm4FQL9BuXH0hpLYnIcJ?usp=sharing

This is release 1.99.2 so ISTM this should be considered a PoC or RC for 2.0.

Re: [ITA] wget

Hi Brian,

Brian Inglis writes:
>> Yes, my time for cygwin has greatly diminished, so you are welcome to
>> take over wget.
>
> Thanks Eric, good to know you're keeping so busy, expected under the circumstances!
>
> Not a great effort as there should be no to few more wget releases.

Your latest wget release is configured differently for 32bit and 64bit,
most likely due to missing dependencies / development packages.  Since
the BUILD_REQUIRES are completely missing it doesn't build at all on the
CI.

Re: [ITA] wget

Brian Inglis
On 2020-11-14 08:19, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>>> Yes, my time for cygwin has greatly diminished, so you are welcome to
>>> take over wget.
>>
>> Thanks Eric, good to know you're keeping so busy, expected under the circumstances!
>>
>> Not a great effort as there should be no to few more wget releases.
>
> Your latest wget release is configured differently for 32bit and 64bit,
> most likely due to missing dependencies / development packages.  Since
> the BUILD_REQUIRES are completely missing it doesn't build at all on the
> CI.

I rebuilt with the original cygport updated minimally.
This is one of those packages that advertises minimal dependencies and documents
none AFAICT.
Is there a way of determining desirable, useful, or additional dependencies?

I found cygcares-2.dll was missing(!) from cygwin 32, so reinstalled it, and
libnpth-devel was not installed in either arch, so installed those, added all
the lib...-devel and tools dependencies to BUILD_REQUIRES, and all the relevant
configure --with/out-... options, so now both arches build with only minor
--version output differences.

Is it sufficiently worth while to resolve with a release -2 package, as there
may be no further upstream releases of the package, other than replacement by
wget2?

Re: [ITA] wget

Achim Gratz
Brian Inglis writes:
> I rebuilt with the original cygport updated minimally.

You're still supposed to search the configure log for any signs of it
not finding stuff you told it was available (like c-ares) and stuff that
you might not even now it wanted.

:-)

> This is one of those packages that advertises minimal dependencies and
> documents none AFAICT.

Everything older than about a year mostly looks like that.  Before
having the CI there wasn't a good way of figuring out the dependencies,
so almost nobody bothered with it.  It's still incomplete since the
dependencies pulled in by cygport will be assumed by the package (which
works only as long as these don't change).

> Is there a way of determining desirable, useful, or additional
> dependencies?

Usually the upstream documentation tells you their preferences.
Somtimes packages bundle dependencies, then you have to be careful to
direct the build to use the system libraries.  Additional dependencies
beyond those I tend to avoid.  I see you pulled in gnutls/nettle, I'd
rather use openssl unless upstream recommends against it.

Then you can look for the build specs on Linux distributions which
usually give you lots of clues (and often patches):

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/wget/wget.spec?expand=1
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/wget/blob/master/f/wget.spec

If in doubt, follow Fedora (like most other Cygwin packages).

> I found cygcares-2.dll was missing(!) from cygwin 32, so reinstalled
> it, and libnpth-devel was not installed in either arch, so installed
> those, added all the lib...-devel and tools dependencies to
> BUILD_REQUIRES, and all the relevant configure --with/out-... options,
> so now both arches build with only minor --version output differences.

Thank you.

I'm not really sure why you'd need libnpth and a bunch of other things.
You might want to add libattr-devel and see if xattr support gets
recognized.

> Is it sufficiently worth while to resolve with a release -2 package,
> as there may be no further upstream releases of the package, other
> than replacement by wget2?

Please re-release the fixed package so that both architectures are
equivalent.

Re: [ITA] wget

Brian Inglis
On 2020-11-15 00:36, ASSI wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I rebuilt with the original cygport updated minimally.
>
> You're still supposed to search the configure log for any signs of it
> not finding stuff you told it was available (like c-ares) and stuff that
> you might not even now it wanted.
>
> :-)
>
>> This is one of those packages that advertises minimal dependencies and
>> documents none AFAICT.
>
> Everything older than about a year mostly looks like that.  Before
> having the CI there wasn't a good way of figuring out the dependencies,
> so almost nobody bothered with it.  It's still incomplete since the
> dependencies pulled in by cygport will be assumed by the package (which
> works only as long as these don't change).
>
>> Is there a way of determining desirable, useful, or additional
>> dependencies?
>
> Usually the upstream documentation tells you their preferences.
> Somtimes packages bundle dependencies, then you have to be careful to
> direct the build to use the system libraries.  Additional dependencies
> beyond those I tend to avoid.  I see you pulled in gnutls/nettle, I'd
> rather use openssl unless upstream recommends against it.

Build defaults to gnutls (as many GNU do now) so presumably previously used in
our package releases and best tested (confirmed by some OpenSSL patch comments).

I now have another semi-useful adhoc packaging script to check build logs for
program dependencies and | xargs which | xargs cygcheck -f for their packages.

> Then you can look for the build specs on Linux distributions which
> usually give you lots of clues (and often patches):
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/wget/wget.spec?expand=1
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/wget/blob/master/f/wget.spec
>
> If in doubt, follow Fedora (like most other Cygwin packages).

Yes, I've used both OBS and Fed elsewhere - added Fed patches to build -2.

>> I found cygcares-2.dll was missing(!) from cygwin 32, so reinstalled
>> it, and libnpth-devel was not installed in either arch, so installed
>> those, added all the lib...-devel and tools dependencies to
>> BUILD_REQUIRES, and all the relevant configure --with/out-... options,
>> so now both arches build with only minor --version output differences.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I'm not really sure why you'd need libnpth and a bunch of other things.

Supported, configured, specified.

> You might want to add libattr-devel and see if xattr support gets
> recognized.

Apparently not an option:

"configure: Disabling Extended Attribute support: your system is not known to
support extended attributes."

likely to require a chunk of work, and no upstream support as now superseded.

>> Is it sufficiently worth while to resolve with a release -2 package,
>> as there may be no further upstream releases of the package, other
>> than replacement by wget2?
>
> Please re-release the fixed package so that both architectures are
> equivalent.

Thanks for feedback and help - if you could please check out the latest cygport
and CI jobs for any issues - I will upload upgrades if I hear nothing in a few
days.

Re: [ITA] wget

Achim Gratz
Brian Inglis writes:
> Thanks for feedback and help - if you could please check out the
> latest cygport and CI jobs for any issues - I will upload upgrades if
> I hear nothing in a few days.

You should remove the files that are packaged for convenience and
configure re-generates when you do the full autoreconf.  You specify
those in DISTCLEANFILES and cygport removes them immediately after it
has unpacked the tar.  You may need to also list those in DIFF_EXCLUDES.
That should get rid of the spurious source patch in the package.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Re: [ITA] wget

Brian Inglis
On 2020-11-16 10:23, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> Thanks for feedback and help - if you could please check out the
>> latest cygport and CI jobs for any issues - I will upload upgrades if
>> I hear nothing in a few days.
>
> You should remove the files that are packaged for convenience and
> configure re-generates when you do the full autoreconf.  You specify
> those in DISTCLEANFILES and cygport removes them immediately after it
> has unpacked the tar.  You may need to also list those in DIFF_EXCLUDES.
> That should get rid of the spurious source patch in the package.

Thanks again for the feedback and help.

I dug up some Debian, Fedora, and OpenSuSE patches, and added them to the cygport.
OpenSuSE patches appear only to be available in their source package, or online
in their HTML page, for which I came up with a script to grab a package's patch
URLs, scrape those web pages for the patch source, and convert from HTML to
patch text. Do you know if there is any way to access OBS patches as plain text?

This build avoids autoreconf (from Eric).
It would make sense to list DIFF_EXCLUDES in DISTCLEANFILES to avoid them being
packaged in the first place, as long as that did not break the build.

So should I set DISTCLEANFILES to all the files *created* in the following log
extracts, and set DIFF_EXCLUDES to those for which patches are created, or could
more of each list be added to both?

"...
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating util/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating fuzz/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
config.status: creating testenv/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/certs/interca.conf
config.status: creating tests/certs/rootca.conf
config.status: creating src/config.h
config.status: linking
/cygdrive/c/projects/wget/wget-1.20.3-2.i686/src/wget-1.20.3/GNUmakefile to
GNUmakefile
config.status: executing po-directories commands
config.status: creating po/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/Makefile
config.status: creating src/config.h
 >>> Creating source patches
  Makefile.in              |    8 +-
  aclocal.m4               |   58 +++---------------
  configure                |  147 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
  doc/Makefile.in          |    3
  fuzz/Makefile.in         |    3
  lib/Makefile.in          |    3
  src/Makefile.in          |    7 +-
  src/config.h.in          |    3
  testenv/Makefile.in      |    3
  tests/Makefile.in        |   12 ++-
  tests/certs/interca.conf |    2
  tests/certs/rootca.conf  |    2
  util/Makefile.in         |    3
..."

Re: [ITA] wget

Achim Gratz
Brian Inglis writes:
> I dug up some Debian, Fedora, and OpenSuSE patches, and added them to the cygport.
> OpenSuSE patches appear only to be available in their source package,
> or online in their HTML page, for which I came up with a script to
> grab a package's patch URLs, scrape those web pages for the patch
> source, and convert from HTML to patch text. Do you know if there is
> any way to access OBS patches as plain text?

Nothing that I've used before, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  There
obviously is some sort of an API that the osc CLI is using (I don't know
any details of that either), but how far that extends to plain HTTPS
REST requests I don't know.

> This build avoids autoreconf (from Eric).

That is probably not urgent, but I'd check if it can be re-enabled.  For
a while Cygwin had a too old autoconf version that would not work with
some packages tha twere using the newer ones, but that's no longer an
issue I'd think.

> It would make sense to list DIFF_EXCLUDES in DISTCLEANFILES to avoid
> them being packaged in the first place, as long as that did not break
> the build.
>
> So should I set DISTCLEANFILES to all the files *created* in the
> following log extracts, and set DIFF_EXCLUDES to those for which
> patches are created, or could more of each list be added to both?

In principle you should remove all files that are recreated anyway in
DISTCLEANFILES.  Now, generated files showing up in the diff at all is a
likely deficiency in configure, as these should not be generated in the
source directory at all, I'd think.  But getting a project that isn't
quite cleaned up for a separate build dir to put the files in the right
place (and later find them) can be quite an adventure.

Re: [ITA] wget

Brian Inglis
On 2020-11-17 12:10, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I dug up some Debian, Fedora, and OpenSuSE patches, and added them to the cygport.
>> OpenSuSE patches appear only to be available in their source package,
>> or online in their HTML page, for which I came up with a script to
>> grab a package's patch URLs, scrape those web pages for the patch
>> source, and convert from HTML to patch text. Do you know if there is
>> any way to access OBS patches as plain text?
>
> Nothing that I've used before, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  There
> obviously is some sort of an API that the osc CLI is using (I don't know
> any details of that either), but how far that extends to plain HTTPS
> REST requests I don't know.
>
>> This build avoids autoreconf (from Eric).
>
> That is probably not urgent, but I'd check if it can be re-enabled.  For
> a while Cygwin had a too old autoconf version that would not work with
> some packages tha twere using the newer ones, but that's no longer an
> issue I'd think.
>
>> It would make sense to list DIFF_EXCLUDES in DISTCLEANFILES to avoid
>> them being packaged in the first place, as long as that did not break
>> the build.
>>
>> So should I set DISTCLEANFILES to all the files *created* in the
>> following log extracts, and set DIFF_EXCLUDES to those for which
>> patches are created, or could more of each list be added to both?
>
> In principle you should remove all files that are recreated anyway in
> DISTCLEANFILES.  Now, generated files showing up in the diff at all is a
> likely deficiency in configure, as these should not be generated in the
> source directory at all, I'd think.  But getting a project that isn't
> quite cleaned up for a separate build dir to put the files in the right
> place (and later find them) can be quite an adventure.

Thanks again, that appears to be working after I tracked down one outlyer, and I
pushed the updates to run under CI, which now also builds and tests cleaner.

I will try defaulting src_compile to allow autoreconfig, and push if it works.

Re: [ITA] wget

Achim Gratz writes:

> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I dug up some Debian, Fedora, and OpenSuSE patches, and added them to the cygport.
>> OpenSuSE patches appear only to be available in their source package,
>> or online in their HTML page, for which I came up with a script to
>> grab a package's patch URLs, scrape those web pages for the patch
>> source, and convert from HTML to patch text. Do you know if there is
>> any way to access OBS patches as plain text?
>
> Nothing that I've used before, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  There
> obviously is some sort of an API that the osc CLI is using (I don't know
> any details of that either), but how far that extends to plain HTTPS
> REST requests I don't know.

As I suspected, that problem isn't exactly new and one solution is this
Git repo that mirrors OBS:

https://github.com/bmwiedemann/openSUSE

It covers openSUSE Factory/Tumbleweed only, but that should suffice for
your purposes.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
12