[ITP] vttest

Brian Inglis
I would like to offer to package vttest:

        test VT-type and X terminals and emulators

Tests the functionality of a VT100 terminal (or emulator thereof). It
tests both display (escape sequence handling) and keyboard.
The program is menu-driven and contains full operating instructions. To
run a given menu-item, you enter its number. You can run all menu-items
(for a given level) by entering an asterisk, i.e, '*'.

It has been enhanced to support and test many xterm control and status escape
sequences, and it is mainly used nowadays for testing emulator compatibility:
see mintty announcements and GitHub issues.

I thought it may have previously been available under Cygwin, as it has Cygwin
patches available for a previous version, but Cygwin searches only bring up
recent hits for mintty.

It is available under all RedHat, Debian, BSD, and Slack Linux flavours:
        https://pkgs.org/download/vttest

Control files, sources, and binaries are available under the vttest folder at:
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S9GoI3DX0u2fO39C86bu1u4VCzD7jXxW

The version has been stuck at 2.7 for years since the release date was adopted
instead; cygport does not seem to like a long version string with a trailing
date prefixed by either - dash or . dot; so using only the release date as
Cygwin version.

Re: [ITP] vttest

Henning
On 20/07/2019 05:25, Brian Inglis wrote:
> I would like to offer to package vttest:

Would be greatly appreciated.

> I thought it may have previously been available under Cygwin, as it has Cygwin
> patches available for a previous version, but Cygwin searches only bring up
> recent hits for mintty.

The yacp archive on github https://github.com/fd00/yacp deals with the
20180911 version (vttest is not listed but part of master.zip) and
consists of

        vttest-20180911-1bl1.cygport
        vttest-20180911-1bl1.src.patch
        (cygwin-) README

And what about https://github.com/ThomasDickey/esctest2?

Although, admittedly, this might be considered a bit too special.

Henning

Re: [ITP] vttest

Brian Inglis
On 2019-07-20 02:49, Henning wrote:
> On 20/07/2019 05:25, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> I would like to offer to package vttest:
>
> Would be greatly appreciated.

Good to hear.

>> I thought it may have previously been available under Cygwin, as it has Cygwin
>> patches available for a previous version, but Cygwin searches only bring up
>> recent hits for mintty.
>
> The yacp archive on github https://github.com/fd00/yacp deals with the
> 20180911 version (vttest is not listed but part of master.zip) and
> consists of
>
>     vttest-20180911-1bl1.cygport
>     vttest-20180911-1bl1.src.patch
>     (cygwin-) README

Looked at those and have updated patch against 20190710 to submit upstream.

> And what about https://github.com/ThomasDickey/esctest2?
>
> Although, admittedly, this might be considered a bit too special.

esctest[2] is python, clone, add to path or install in /usr/local/..., and run!

Re: [ITP] vttest

On 20/07/2019 04:25, Brian Inglis wrote:

> I would like to offer to package vttest:
>
> test VT-type and X terminals and emulators
>
> Tests the functionality of a VT100 terminal (or emulator thereof). It
> tests both display (escape sequence handling) and keyboard.
> The program is menu-driven and contains full operating instructions. To
> run a given menu-item, you enter its number. You can run all menu-items
> (for a given level) by entering an asterisk, i.e, '*'.
>
> It has been enhanced to support and test many xterm control and status escape
> sequences, and it is mainly used nowadays for testing emulator compatibility:
> see mintty announcements and GitHub issues.
>
> I thought it may have previously been available under Cygwin, as it has Cygwin
> patches available for a previous version, but Cygwin searches only bring up
> recent hits for mintty.
>
> It is available under all RedHat, Debian, BSD, and Slack Linux flavours:
> https://pkgs.org/download/vttest
>
> Control files, sources, and binaries are available under the vttest folder at:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S9GoI3DX0u2fO39C86bu1u4VCzD7jXxW
>
> The version has been stuck at 2.7 for years since the release date was adopted
> instead; cygport does not seem to like a long version string with a trailing
> date prefixed by either - dash or . dot; so using only the release date as

That should work, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

But I agree that using the date alone is probably the best idea.

> Cygwin version.

Looks good.

Thanks for taking on these packages.

I added this and mtr to your permitted uploads.

Re: [ITP] vttest

ASSI
Jon Turney writes:
>> The version has been stuck at 2.7 for years since the release date was adopted
>> instead; cygport does not seem to like a long version string with a trailing
>> date prefixed by either - dash or . dot; so using only the release date as
>
> That should work, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

It probably confuses the PVR parsing in cygport, but I haven't looked at
that code in quite a while.  There should indeed be
no such problem in either calm or setup.