[ITP] python3-pillow

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ITP] python3-pillow

cygwin-apps mailing list
Hello,

This email signals my intent to package python3-pillow
(https://pypi.org/project/Pillow) for Cygwin. Pillow is a fork of the
Python Imaging Library.

I wish to package this because I have found that PyCrust (built with
wxPython) depends on Pillow and won't run without it installed. As
before, my test packages can be found at
https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.

If anyone has feedback I'd appreciate it very much.

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty


0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] python3-pillow

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 26/06/2020 01:49, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This email signals my intent to package python3-pillow
> (https://pypi.org/project/Pillow) for Cygwin. Pillow is a fork of the
> Python Imaging Library.
>
> I wish to package this because I have found that PyCrust (built with
> wxPython) depends on Pillow and won't run without it installed. As
> before, my test packages can be found at
> https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.
>
> If anyone has feedback I'd appreciate it very much.
>
> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
>
*bump* in case no one has seen this.

Hamish


0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] python3-pillow

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 04.07.2020 14:01, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:

> On 26/06/2020 01:49, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This email signals my intent to package python3-pillow
>> (https://pypi.org/project/Pillow) for Cygwin. Pillow is a fork of the
>> Python Imaging Library.
>>
>> I wish to package this because I have found that PyCrust (built with
>> wxPython) depends on Pillow and won't run without it installed. As
>> before, my test packages can be found at
>> https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.
>>
>> If anyone has feedback I'd appreciate it very much.
>>
>> Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
>>
> *bump* in case no one has seen this.
>
> Hamish
>

GTG,
you can upload

Regards
Marco
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] python3-pillow

Yaakov Selkowitz
In reply to this post by cygwin-apps mailing list
On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 01:49 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-
apps wrote:

> This email signals my intent to package python3-pillow
> (https://pypi.org/project/Pillow) for Cygwin. Pillow is a fork of the
> Python Imaging Library.
>
> I wish to package this because I have found that PyCrust (built with
> wxPython) depends on Pillow and won't run without it installed. As
> before, my test packages can be found at
> https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.
>
> If anyone has feedback I'd appreciate it very much.

1) Source packages are generally named python-*.

2) This should be an ITA for python-imaging instead, which has been
Pillow-based for a long time.

--
Yaakov


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] python3-pillow

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 05/07/2020 23:21, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 01:49 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-
> apps wrote:
>> This email signals my intent to package python3-pillow
>> (https://pypi.org/project/Pillow) for Cygwin. Pillow is a fork of the
>> Python Imaging Library.
>>
>> I wish to package this because I have found that PyCrust (built with
>> wxPython) depends on Pillow and won't run without it installed. As
>> before, my test packages can be found at
>> https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.
>>
>> If anyone has feedback I'd appreciate it very much.
> 1) Source packages are generally named python-*.
Yes, but the latest build of Pillow doesn't support Python 2 - I feel
calling it python-pillow would be misleading.
> 2) This should be an ITA for python-imaging instead, which has been
> Pillow-based for a long time.

The Python imaging library was replaced by Pillow as far as I can tell,
and seems to have been unmaintained since 2011. Could you give me a link
to the library you're talking about please?

Either way, wxPython specifically needs Pillow. I can also build the
imaging library if you want though.

Hamish


0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc (3K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] python3-pillow

Yaakov Selkowitz
On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 09:57 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-
apps wrote:

> On 05/07/2020 23:21, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 01:49 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-
> > apps wrote:
> > > This email signals my intent to package python3-pillow
> > > (https://pypi.org/project/Pillow) for Cygwin. Pillow is a fork of the
> > > Python Imaging Library.
> > >
> > > I wish to package this because I have found that PyCrust (built with
> > > wxPython) depends on Pillow and won't run without it installed. As
> > > before, my test packages can be found at
> > > https://www.hamishmb.com/files/cygwin-temp/.
> > >
> > > If anyone has feedback I'd appreciate it very much.
> > 1) Source packages are generally named python-*.
> Yes, but the latest build of Pillow doesn't support Python 2 - I feel
> calling it python-pillow would be misleading.

No, this is the naming scheme we've been using for Python packages.

python-foo: sources
pythonXY-foo: binaries for each supported X.Y version of Python

> > 2) This should be an ITA for python-imaging instead, which has been
> > Pillow-based for a long time.
>
> The Python imaging library was replaced by Pillow as far as I can tell,
> and seems to have been unmaintained since 2011. Could you give me a link
> to the library you're talking about please?

As I said, our python-imaging packages have been from Pillow for quite
some time.  Technically, at this point they should be named python-pil
or the like, but the package name long predates the PIL namespace being
mandatory (not to mention the Pillow fork in general), but I never
renamed the packages to avoid the complications involved therein.
 Either way, "pillow" isn't the right name IMO because users don't
"from Pillow import", they "from PIL import".

--
Yaakov


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ITP] python3-pillow

cygwin-apps mailing list
On 06.07.2020 16:19, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 09:57 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-
> apps wrote:
>> On 05/07/2020 23:21, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>>> On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 01:49 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin-
>>> apps wrote:
>>> 2) This should be an ITA for python-imaging instead, which has been
>>> Pillow-based for a long time.

>>
>> The Python imaging library was replaced by Pillow as far as I can tell,
>> and seems to have been unmaintained since 2011. Could you give me a link
>> to the library you're talking about please?
>
> As I said, our python-imaging packages have been from Pillow for quite
> some time.  Technically, at this point they should be named python-pil
> or the like, but the package name long predates the PIL namespace being
> mandatory (not to mention the Pillow fork in general), but I never
> renamed the packages to avoid the complications involved therein.
>   Either way, "pillow" isn't the right name IMO because users don't
> "from Pillow import", they "from PIL import".


>
> --
> Yaakov


for the record, I removed python3-pillow from cygwin-pkg-maint.

better late than never


Regards
Marco