[ITP] perl-Tk

12

[ITP] perl-Tk

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Charles Wilson-2
Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>
> Perl/Tk is already included in Debian:
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/perl/perl-tk

+1 anyway. :-)

> Note that Perl/Tk is a Tk *implementation*, and does not depend on tcltk.

Ahhhh... thanks for pointing that out.  I've been mildly confused by
this whole thread [Huh? Perl/Tk is X-based but cygwin tk is win32gui ...
does not compute ... danger will robinson ... ] because I didn't know that.

Chuck

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Reini Urban
Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) schrieb:
> Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
>
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint

Can we have a "-X" in the name please, to make it clear that this is NOT
the native version.
I was just fighting again with the native version yesterday, but didn't
succeed yet. Wonder what broke that since 804.025

Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 18 08:11, Reini Urban wrote:

> Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) schrieb:
> >Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
> >
> >ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
> >ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
> >ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>
> Can we have a "-X" in the name please, to make it clear that this is NOT
> the native version.
> I was just fighting again with the native version yesterday, but didn't
> succeed yet. Wonder what broke that since 804.025
>
> >category: Perl X11
> >requires: cygwin crypt libXft2 libfontconfig1 libfreetype26 libjpeg62
> >libpng12 perl xorg-x11-base zlib
> >sdesc: "Perl interface for Tk (X11)"
> >ldesc: "Complete Perl interface for Tk, built against Cygwin/X."

Could people also start to *review* new packages?  Having an opinion
is nice, but it doesn't result in having packages in the distro.

Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 08:11:03AM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:

> Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) schrieb:
> >Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
> >
> >ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
> >ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
> >ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>
> Can we have a "-X" in the name please, to make it clear that this is NOT
> the native version.
> I was just fighting again with the native version yesterday, but didn't
> succeed yet. Wonder what broke that since 804.025

At the risk of incurring Corinna's wrath, I second the request.  I'd like
to see someone submit an X-less perl-Tk package too, with support in both
for alternatives.

> >category: Perl X11
> >requires: cygwin crypt libXft2 libfontconfig1 libfreetype26 libjpeg62
> >libpng12 perl xorg-x11-base zlib
> >sdesc: "Perl interface for Tk (X11)"
> >ldesc: "Complete Perl interface for Tk, built against Cygwin/X."

> Reini Urban
> http://phpwiki.org/

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Gerrit P. Haase
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Nov 18 08:11, Reini Urban wrote:
>
>>Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) schrieb:
>>
>>>Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
>>>
>>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
>>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
>>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>>
>>Can we have a "-X" in the name please, to make it clear that this is NOT
>>the native version.
>>I was just fighting again with the native version yesterday, but didn't
>>succeed yet. Wonder what broke that since 804.025
>>

>>>category: Perl X11
>>>requires: cygwin crypt libXft2 libfontconfig1 libfreetype26 libjpeg62
>>>libpng12 perl xorg-x11-base zlib
>>>sdesc: "Perl interface for Tk (X11)"
>>>ldesc: "Complete Perl interface for Tk, built against Cygwin/X."
>

> Could people also start to *review* new packages?  Having an opinion
> is nice, but it doesn't result in having packages in the distro.

Already done.  It builds fine, however I see some tests failing and the
demo widget is not running properly here.

Already posted a question about this at the main list.

Gerrit
=^..^=

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Joe Smith-10
Yaakov S said:
> Note that Perl/Tk is a Tk *implementation*, and does not depend on tcltk.
..
> ldesc: "Complete Perl interface for Tk, built against Cygwin/X."
Well that ldesc is confusing considering that.

I think some of the confusion stems from the fact that tk is too closely
associtated with tcl.
Tk is a toolkit. Toolkits are usually implemented in shared libraries, and
IFAIK Tk is no exception.
The FAQ for Perl/TK implies that the toolkit code is very similar between
both tcl's TK and this implementation.

If that is the case there should really be three packages upstream.
tk - contains the library (maintained by tcl people)
tcltk - tcl interface to the tk library (maintained by tcl people)
Perl/Tk - perl interface to tk lib. (maintained by Perl/Tk people)

Some reasonable set of packages should be available in Cygwin.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:40:28PM -0600, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > At the risk of incurring Corinna's wrath, I second the request.  I'd like
> > to see someone submit an X-less perl-Tk package too, with support in both
> > for alternatives.
>
> Here are the issues:
>
> 1) Two ports of perl-Tk, one X11 and one Win32, *will* collide with each
> other, and may lead to more confusion from the end users.

Hence the suggestion of using the features provided by the
alternatives package.  Am I correct in assuming this works even for
dynamically loaded dlls?

> 2) Since 804.xxx, the Win32 build has been broken on Cygwin, whereas the
> X11 build works with a minor patch (to fix an assumption that Cygwin is
> using Win32).

I've found Nick Ing-Simmons to be helpful before; has anyone actually
let him know there's a problem?

> 3) The fact that tcltk is Win32 (as stated numerous times in the past,
> the reason being to support insight) does not mean that perl-Tk need be
> Win32 as well.
>
> 4) Even regarding tcltk, there's been discussion recently on finding a
> way to make the primary installation Unix/X11 and a secondary Win32
> version for insight.
>
> Considering all the above, I found it most feasible to package *one*
> perl-Tk, based on X11, and I have yet to see a convicing argument otherwise.

I wasn't trying to volunteer you to produce a non-X11 package; I just
would like to have it be possible to create one later.  When I get a
few other things finished I make take a stab at it myself.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Nov 20 00:34, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> >Hence the suggestion of using the features provided by the
> >alternatives package.  Am I correct in assuming this works even for
> >dynamically loaded dlls?
> >

> No.  It works for .so's on Linux, because the Linux loader understands
> symlinks.  Cygwin piggybacks on the Window Runtime Loader, which does
> NOT understand symlinks (nor shortcuts!).  Because alternatives relies
> entirely on symlinks, it doesn't work for DLLs on windows.

Though Windows Vista will introduce a new concept on NTFS called
"symlinks", it seems it won't help alternatives.  The Windows loader
doesn't understand those "native" symlinks, at least not in my Beta 1
version.  It still bails out with "Application couldn't be initialized
properly (0xc0000022)".  And the way file attributes are handled in
symlinks is not as transparent, as they apparently intended to make it.

Too bad, I don't know how to contact the Windows developers to discuss
if that couldn't be changed before Vista hits the market.

Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:34:33AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> >Hence the suggestion of using the features provided by the
> >alternatives package.  Am I correct in assuming this works even for
> >dynamically loaded dlls?
> >

> No.  It works for .so's on Linux, because the Linux loader understands
> symlinks.  Cygwin piggybacks on the Window Runtime Loader, which does
> NOT understand symlinks (nor shortcuts!).  Because alternatives relies
> entirely on symlinks, it doesn't work for DLLs on windows.

WJFFM (perhaps you missed the "dynamically"?):

$ cat mydll.c
#include <stdio.h>

void hello(void)
{
  printf ("Hello World!\n");
}

$ gcc -Wall -shared -o mydll.dll mydll.c

$ ln -s mydll.dll mydllalternate.dll

$ cat myprog.c
#include <dlfcn.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  void *dlh = dlopen("mydllalternate.dll", RTLD_NOW);
  void (*dls)(void) = dlsym(dlh, "hello");
  dls();
  return 0;
}

$ gcc -Wall -o myprog.exe myprog.c

$ ./myprog.exe
Hello World!

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Brian Dessent
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

>   void *dlh = dlopen("mydllalternate.dll", RTLD_NOW);

That's because dlopen() is a Cygwin function that understands things
like LD_LIBRARY_PATH and posix paths.  But if you use it you are not
using "the windows runtime loader", at least not directly.  If you try
your sample above using LoadLibrary it will fail.

Brian

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 11:50:53AM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> >   void *dlh = dlopen("mydllalternate.dll", RTLD_NOW);
>
> That's because dlopen() is a Cygwin function that understands things
> like LD_LIBRARY_PATH and posix paths.  But if you use it you are not
> using "the windows runtime loader", at least not directly.  If you try
> your sample above using LoadLibrary it will fail.

Anyway, I'm satisfied that alternatives could be used with perl
extension dlls.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 02:05:00PM -0600, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
> >
> > ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
> > ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
> > ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>
> This generated a lot more discussion than I anticipated, but no
> conclusive review.  Gerrit, do you still have questions about the test
> suite, or is this GTG?

At the risk of being...repetitive, could you name this package perl-Tk-X?

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> At the risk of being...repetitive, could you name this package perl-Tk-X?

I don't see a precedent for such, as I'm still not convinced that it's
*practical* to have parallel installations of X11 and Win32 builds.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

On Dec  1 14:05, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
> >
> > ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
> > ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
> > ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>
> This generated a lot more discussion than I anticipated, but no
> conclusive review.  Gerrit, do you still have questions about the test
> suite, or is this GTG?

Gerrit, are you still within the realm of Cygwin?

Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Gerrit P. Haase
Corinna schrieb:

> On Dec  1 14:05, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>>
>> I wrote:
>> > Due to popular request, I would like to ITP Perl/Tk:
>> >

>> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
>> >
>> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
>> >
>> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>>
>> This generated a lot more discussion than I anticipated, but no
>> conclusive review.  Gerrit, do you still have questions about the test
>> suite, or is this GTG?

> Gerrit, are you still within the realm of Cygwin?

Yes.  Well, let it go.  Rebuild works ok.  Since I currently have
a serious problem with XWin I cannot repeat the testsuite right now,
however, one test hang was known and the other problem was not a
crash or other serious stuff but more some issue with my X experience.

Gerrit
=^..^=

Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>On Dec  1 14:05, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3-src.tar.bz2
>>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/perl-Tk-804.027-3.tar.bz2
>>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/perl/perl-Tk/setup.hint
>
> Yes.  Well, let it go.  Rebuild works ok.  Since I currently have
> a serious problem with XWin I cannot repeat the testsuite right now,
> however, one test hang was known and the other problem was not a
> crash or other serious stuff but more some issue with my X experience.

Thank you; could you please upload (under /release/perl I presume)?

Yaakov
12