[ITP] nco

Mark Hadfield
I hereby volunteer to  create and maintain a Cygwin package for NCO
(netCDF Operators), an extremely useful set of command-line utilities
for processing netCDF files.

Here is the Debian package page:

    https://packages.debian.org/sid/nco

The authoritative source repository is now the one at GitHub.com:

    https://github.com/nco/nco

The license is GPL

    https://github.com/nco/nco/blob/master/LICENSE

I can build NCO from source and intend soon to construct a package
with cygport (which I have not used before).

Prerequisite packages include GSL, netCDF, OpenDAP and UDUnits, all of
which are available as Cygwin packages.

The only obstacle that I can see it that one of the utilities (ncap2)
needs to link to a specific, now-outdated version of the ANTLR
library, for which there is a copy of the source here:

    http://dust.ess.uci.edu/nco/antlr-2.7.7.tar.gz

I don't think it would be a good idea to make a Cygwin package out of
that, so I need to work out how to build that along with NCO.

Mark Hadfield
51 Volga St
Wellington 6023, NZ

Re: [ITP] nco

marco atzeri-4
On 12/03/2018 05:16, Mark Hadfield wrote:
> I hereby volunteer to  create and maintain a Cygwin package for NCO
> (netCDF Operators), an extremely useful set of command-line utilities
> for processing netCDF files.
>

> I can build NCO from source and intend soon to construct a package
> with cygport (which I have not used before).
>
> Prerequisite packages include GSL, netCDF, OpenDAP and UDUnits, all of
> which are available as Cygwin packages.
>
> The only obstacle that I can see it that one of the utilities (ncap2)
> needs to link to a specific, now-outdated version of the ANTLR
> library, for which there is a copy of the source here:
>
>      http://dust.ess.uci.edu/nco/antlr-2.7.7.tar.gz
>
> I don't think it would be a good idea to make a Cygwin package out of
> that, so I need to work out how to build that along with NCO.
>

> Mark Hadfield

Hi Mark,
thanks for your offering; we wait your cygport and
packages for x86 and X86_64 for double check
before green light to upload.

In the past what annoyed me of the nco package is that you can only do
a static build of the common library due to a cross dependency
between the programs and the nco library.
This makes all programs larger than they should.

Feel free to ask any question on packaging here