Quantcast

[ITP] man-italic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[ITP] man-italic

Thomas Wolff
The man-italic wrapper scripts enable italic display in manual pages
(where italic is specified in the page) in terminals supporting italic mode.

wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-0.tar.bz2
wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-src.tar.bz2
wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/setup.hint

Thomas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ITP] man-italic

Jon TURNEY
On 28/09/2016 20:46, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> The man-italic wrapper scripts enable italic display in manual pages
> (where italic is specified in the page) in terminals supporting italic
> mode.
>
> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-0.tar.bz2
> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-src.tar.bz2
> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/setup.hint

This seems to have fallen through the cracks and been completely
forgotten.  Sorry about that.

Looking at this, I see that this is not a cygport package.  While this
is something which has been done historically, and I know it may seen
overkill for something this small, it's something I'm very reluctant to
see in new packages.

The license which applies to the original work here needs to be stated.

It would be helpful if the description clarified that what this does is
"show italic text in man pages properly as italic, rather than as
underlined"

That said, this works and is pretty cool. Nice!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [ITP] man-italic

Thomas Wolff
Hi Jon,

Am 19.04.2017 um 20:38 schrieb Jon Turney:

> On 28/09/2016 20:46, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> The man-italic wrapper scripts enable italic display in manual pages
>> (where italic is specified in the page) in terminals supporting
>> italic mode.
>>
>> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-0.tar.bz2
>> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-src.tar.bz2
>> wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/setup.hint
>
> This seems to have fallen through the cracks and been completely
> forgotten.  Sorry about that.
Fine you noticed anyway:)

> Looking at this, I see that this is not a cygport package.  While this
> is something which has been done historically, and I know it may seen
> overkill for something this small, it's something I'm very reluctant
> to see in new packages.
As you say, overkill; I've fiddled around with cygport a few times
already and I can't say I'm happy with it. While it seems to be
powerful, especially basic use isn't documented in a basic way... Would
you have a pattern for a script-only package for me, or even ready-to-use?

> The license which applies to the original work here needs to be stated.
Checking the package contributor's guide, a license does not seem to be
strictly necessary, so I thought for a simple thing it could go as
public domain implicitly. But if you prefer, I'll attach a gnu to it.

> It would be helpful if the description clarified that what this does
> is "show italic text in man pages properly as italic, rather than as
> underlined"
You mean the sdesc one-liner, not ldesc? I'd like to include the
"enabling" aspect because the package does not do the actual display
itself and does not need to be invoked as a tool, like:
sdesc: "Enabling proper italic display of italic text in man pages,
rather than underlined"
OK?

> That said, this works and is pretty cool. Nice!
Thanks. Would that be a "GTG" after sorting out the issues, or are still
3 supporters needed as there used to be?

Thomas
Loading...