[ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

[ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

Jari Aalto-5

Current classpath won't compile with gcj (gcc 3.x included in Cygwin),
so it requires jikes. Here it goes. Included in major distros:

  http://www.sourceforge.net/project/jikes

  http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/jikes
  http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/pool/main/j/jikes/
  http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/index_all.html

Jari

sdesc: "Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications"
ldesc: "IBM's Java compiler (now Open Source) that translates Java
source files as defined in The Java Language Specification
(Addison-Wesley, 1996) into the bytecoded instruction set and binary
format defined in The Java Virtual Machine Specification
(Addison-Wesley, 1996). Unlike other compilers, Jikes accepts the Java
language only as specified: not as a subset, variant, or superset."
category: Devel
requires: cygwin

1)

  wget         \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/setup.hint \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/jikes-1.22-1.tar.bz2 \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/jikes-1.22-1-src.tar.bz2

2) or use this; will give further instructions

  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 955A92D8

  mkdir jikes ; cd jikes
  rm -f get.sh get.sh.sig
  wget -q http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/get.sh \
          http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/get.sh.sig
  gpg --verify get.sh.sig get.sh &&
  sh get.sh

  cd /usr/src/cygwin-packages/jikes
  less /usr/src/cygwin-packages/jikes/get.sh
  tar jtvf /usr/src/cygwin-packages/jikes/jikes-1.22-1.tar.bz2

Re: [ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

Igor Peshansky
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Jari Aalto wrote:

> Current classpath won't compile with gcj (gcc 3.x included in Cygwin),
> so it requires jikes. Here it goes.
> [snip]
>
> sdesc: "Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications"

I've been meaning to do this for a long while, it's cool that you're doing
it.

However, as I was experimenting my local build, there were some problems.
In particular, ant didn't work too well with a Cygwin version of Jikes.
Have you tested this with ant?
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_    [hidden email] | [hidden email]
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

Re: [ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

Shaddy Baddah-2

On 2/4/2006 6:08 PM, Jari Aalto wrote:
> Current classpath won't compile with gcj (gcc 3.x included in Cygwin),
> so it requires jikes. Here it goes. Included in major distros:

Sorry to interject, but could I make a request that, like unison, this
package be tied into a version. e.g. jikes1.14 distinct from jikes1.22?

I actually already have this setup locally, and was preparing
(admittedly, long preparation) to ITP this myself.

I don't mind if this is not taken into consideration, but I'd rather
pipe up now then contemplate what might have been.

Regards,
Shaddy

[GTG] Re: [ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

Dr. Volker Zell

    > Current classpath won't compile with gcj (gcc 3.x included in Cygwin),
    > so it requires jikes. Here it goes. Included in major distros:

    >   http://www.sourceforge.net/project/jikes

    >   http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/jikes
    >   http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/pool/main/j/jikes/
    >   http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/index_all.html

    > Jari

    > sdesc: "Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications"
    > ldesc: "IBM's Java compiler (now Open Source) that translates Java
    > source files as defined in The Java Language Specification
    > (Addison-Wesley, 1996) into the bytecoded instruction set and binary
    > format defined in The Java Virtual Machine Specification
    > (Addison-Wesley, 1996). Unlike other compilers, Jikes accepts the Java
    > language only as specified: not as a subset, variant, or superset."
    > category: Devel
    > requires: cygwin

    > 1)

    >   wget         \
    >     http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/setup.hint \
    >     http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/jikes-1.22-1.tar.bz2 \
    >     http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/jikes-1.22-1-src.tar.bz2

Builds fine from source and packaging looks good. GTG:

Ciao
  Volker

On Feb  5 02:10, Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/4/2006 6:08 PM, Jari Aalto wrote:
> >Current classpath won't compile with gcj (gcc 3.x included in Cygwin),
> >so it requires jikes. Here it goes. Included in major distros:
>

> Sorry to interject, but could I make a request that, like unison, this
> package be tied into a version. e.g. jikes1.14 distinct from jikes1.22?
>
> I actually already have this setup locally, and was preparing
> (admittedly, long preparation) to ITP this myself.
>
> I don't mind if this is not taken into consideration, but I'd rather
> pipe up now then contemplate what might have been.

That's an intersting objection.  Any comments from others?  Jari?

Re: [ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

Eric Blake (cygwin)

On 2/6/2006 9:48 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Corinna Vinschen on 2/6/2006 4:17 AM:
>>> Sorry to interject, but could I make a request that, like unison, this
>>> package be tied into a version. e.g. jikes1.14 distinct from jikes1.22?
>> That's an intersting objection.  Any comments from others?  Jari?
>>

> I don't think this is worthwhile.  As the former jikes maintainer for
> several years, I personally know that 1.14 has bugs (some of them mine :)
> that were fixed in 1.22, and don't see what versioning a much older
> version of jikes will buy you.  I am just fine with a single jikes
> package, although if Jari wants, you could package 1.14 as the Prev
> version simultaneously with 1.22 as the current version (note that there
> is no requirement to do this, though, since it IS harder to maintain two
> disparate versions of the same project).

Fair enough. I agree with that point. My packages won't conflict anyway,
so I can keep them to myself. Debian dropped the version tie-in as well
(woody had jikes1.14, sarge had just jikes).

I drop my objection, and thank all for their responses.

Regards,
Shaddy

On Feb  4 12:08, Jari Aalto wrote:
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/setup.hint \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/jikes-1.22-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/jikes/jikes-1.22-1-src.tar.bz2

Uploaded.

Shaddy Baddah <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/4/2006 6:08 PM, Jari Aalto wrote:
>> Current classpath won't compile with gcj (gcc 3.x included in Cygwin),
>> so it requires jikes. Here it goes. Included in major distros:
>

> Sorry to interject, but could I make a request that, like unison, this
> package be tied into a version. e.g. jikes1.14 distinct from jikes1.22?

Is there significant difference to warrant such separation? In my
understanding compiling java classes produces standard code and the
latest compiler fixes the errors in previous.

Jari

Re: [ITP] jikes -- IBM's Fast Java compiler adhering to language and VM specifications

Jari Aalto-5
Shaddy Baddah <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/6/2006 9:48 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> According to Corinna Vinschen on 2/6/2006 4:17 AM:
>>> That's an intersting objection.  Any comments from others?  Jari?
>>>
>> I don't think this is worthwhile.  As the former jikes maintainer for
>> several years, I personally know that 1.14 has bugs (some of them mine :)
>> that were fixed in 1.22, and don't see what versioning a much older
>> version of jikes will buy you.  I am just fine with a single jikes
>> package, although if Jari wants, you could package 1.14 as the Prev
>> version simultaneously with 1.22 as the current version (note that there
>> is no requirement to do this, though, since it IS harder to maintain two
>> disparate versions of the same project).
>

> Fair enough. I agree with that point. My packages won't conflict
> anyway, so I can keep them to myself. Debian dropped the version
> tie-in as well (woody had jikes1.14, sarge had just jikes).
>
> I drop my objection, and thank all for their responses.

Ok, and thanks for Eric for in depth view.

Jari