[ITP] gvim-6.4

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Dec 22 14:38, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/gvim/gvim-6.4-1-src.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/gvim/gvim-6.4-1.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/gvim/setup.hint
>
> category: Editors Gnome
> requires: cygwin gtk2-x11-runtime libncurses8 vim xorg-x11-base
> sdesc: "GTK interface to the Vim text editor"
> ldesc: "Vim is an almost compatible version of the UNIX editor Vi.  Many
> new features have been added: multi-level undo, syntax highlighting,
> command line history, on-line help, filename completion, block
> operations, etc. There is also a Graphical User Interface (GUI) available.
> This package includes the GTK2 GUI; it depends on the vim package for
> the common vim data files."

Could you please use the same ldesc text as the CLI vim version and
just add the last sentence?

But what's worse is this:

  $ uname -a
  CYGWIN_NT-5.1 cathi 1.5.19(0.149/4/2) [...]
  $ export DISPLAY=calimero:1 <- My Linux X server
  $ gvim
  Vim: Caught deadly signal SYS
  Vim: Finished.
  $

I have no chance to connect to my X server running on my Linux box,
which is a xorg-x11-Xvnc-6.8.1.  From the strace output I can only see
that kill(2) is called, but there's no hint about the reason.  Using vim
-V shows:

  [...lots of "Searching for foo.{xpm,bmp}"...]
  Searching for "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp" in "/home/corinna/.vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim64,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,/home/corinna/.vim/after"
  Searching for "/home/corinna/.vim/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
  Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
  Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vim64/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
  Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
  Searching for "/home/corinna/.vim/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
  not found in 'runtimepath': "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"Vim: Caught deadly signal SYS

  Writing viminfo file "/home/corinna/.viminfo"Vim: Finished.

However, I tried with a local Xming server, which worked fine.

Needless to say that I don't have any problem to run other Cygwin X apps
as xterm or gs.  Nor do I have a problem with the Linux gvim (using the
gnome GUI).

Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Could you please use the same ldesc text as the CLI vim version and
> just add the last sentence?

Fixed.

> I have no chance to connect to my X server running on my Linux box,
> which is a xorg-x11-Xvnc-6.8.1.  From the strace output I can only see
> that kill(2) is called, but there's no hint about the reason.

I can't replicate such a setup, but see below.

> Using vim -V shows:

You mean gvim -V, right?

>   [...lots of "Searching for foo.{xpm,bmp}"...]
>   Searching for "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp" in "/home/corinna/.vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim64,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,/home/corinna/.vim/after"
>   Searching for "/home/corinna/.vim/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
>   Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
>   Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vim64/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
>   Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
>   Searching for "/home/corinna/.vim/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
>   not found in 'runtimepath': "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"Vim: Caught deadly signal SYS
>
>   Writing viminfo file "/home/corinna/.viminfo"Vim: Finished.
>
> However, I tried with a local Xming server, which worked fine.

After some googling, I found that gvim relies on the internally compiled
pixmaps by default when it doesn't find others to override them (e.g. if
cream were being used), so these Searching messages are normal.

Trying 'gvim -V' with Cygwin/X11 shows:

Searching for "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp" in
"/home/Yaakov/.vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfil
es,/usr/share/vim/vim64,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,/home/Yaakov/.vim/after"
Searching for "/home/Yaakov/.vim/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vim64/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
Searching for "/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
Searching for "/home/Yaakov/.vim/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
not found in 'runtimepath': "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
C:\cygwin\bin\gvim.exe (5676): *** MapViewOfFileEx (0x19440000), Win32
error 6.  Terminating.
     16 [main] gvim 4696 fork_parent: child 5676 died waiting for dll

But gvim does launch, of course.

So it seems that gvim is sensitive to rebase issues (perhaps because
gvim behaviour is to spawn to background, freeing up the command line
without 'gvim &'); perhaps this happened to you as well, and Xvnc caught
the MapViewOfFileEx error and misinterpreted it?

Yaakov

Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4

Corinna Vinschen-2
On Dec 23 13:14, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> >   Searching for "/home/corinna/.vim/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
> >   not found in 'runtimepath': "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"Vim: Caught deadly signal SYS
> >
> >   Writing viminfo file "/home/corinna/.viminfo"Vim: Finished.
> >
> > However, I tried with a local Xming server, which worked fine.
>
> After some googling, I found that gvim relies on the internally compiled
> pixmaps by default when it doesn't find others to override them (e.g. if
> cream were being used), so these Searching messages are normal.
>
> Trying 'gvim -V' with Cygwin/X11 shows:
>
> Searching for "/home/Yaakov/.vim/after/bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
> not found in 'runtimepath': "bitmaps/FindHelp.bmp"
> C:\cygwin\bin\gvim.exe (5676): *** MapViewOfFileEx (0x19440000), Win32
> error 6.  Terminating.
>      16 [main] gvim 4696 fork_parent: child 5676 died waiting for dll
>
> But gvim does launch, of course.
>
> So it seems that gvim is sensitive to rebase issues (perhaps because
> gvim behaviour is to spawn to background, freeing up the command line
> without 'gvim &'); perhaps this happened to you as well, and Xvnc caught
> the MapViewOfFileEx error and misinterpreted it?

Xvnc can't catch the MapViewOfFileEx error since it's running on Linux.
Whatever is causing this message is running on the Cygwin side of
affairs.

The error message you see points to the fact that apparently some part
of gvim or subsequent libraries use SYSV shared memory.  The reason you
see this error message and I see a SIGSYS is that I don't have
CYGWIN=server set in my environment by default and no cygserver is
running unless I'm debugging it.

So what we have here looks like something I don't like, which is, that
running gvim requires to run Cygserver because something, gvim itself or
some library, is using SYSV shared memory.  I don't think that should be
necessary, except in very trying cases like, say, a database like
postgresql.  So, whatever is using SYSV shared memory in this scenario,
it shouldn't.  The fact that I can start gvim on a local Xmingw server
but not on a remote X server shows, that SYSV shared memory can't be
a necessity.

gtk2 using SysV memory? (Was: Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4)

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)

Re: gtk2 using SysV memory? (Was: Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4)

Gerrit P. Haase
Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>>The error message you see points to the fact that apparently some part
>>of gvim or subsequent libraries use SYSV shared memory.  The reason you
>>see this error message and I see a SIGSYS is that I don't have
>>CYGWIN=server set in my environment by default and no cygserver is
>>running unless I'm debugging it.
>

> OK, I see this now as well locally, if I unset CYGWIN.
>

>>So what we have here looks like something I don't like, which is, that
>>running gvim requires to run Cygserver because something, gvim itself or
>>some library, is using SYSV shared memory.
>

> After doing some experimentation, it looks like this isn't a specific
> problem with gvim, but is common to gtk2 apps, e.g.:
>
> $ CYGWIN= gcolor2
> Bad system call
>
> $ gcolor2
> [runs]
>

>>I don't think that should be necessary, except in very trying cases like,
>>say, a database like postgresql.  So, whatever is using SYSV shared
>>memory in this scenario, it shouldn't.  The fact that I can start
>>gvim on local Xmingw server but not on a remote X server shows,
>>that SYSV shared memory can't be a necessity.
>

> Gerrit?

Yes maybe, need to take a look at the configure and build logs though.

Gerrit
=^..^=

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>> After doing some experimentation, it looks like this isn't a specific
>> problem with gvim, but is common to gtk2 apps, e.g.:
>>
>> $ CYGWIN= gcolor2
>> Bad system call
>>
>> $ gcolor2
>> [runs]
>>

>>> I don't think that should be necessary, except in very trying cases
>>> like, say, a database like postgresql.  So, whatever is using SYSV
>>> shared memory in this scenario, it shouldn't.  The fact that I can start
>>> gvim on local Xmingw server but not on a remote X server shows,
>>> that SYSV shared memory can't be a necessity.
>>

>> Gerrit?
>

> Yes maybe, need to take a look at the configure and build logs though.

Yes, --enable-shm is default=yes.  I rebuild now the pending 2.6.10
release with --enable-shm=no and upload later this day.

Gerrit
=^..^=

Yaakov schrieb:

>> So what we have here looks like something I don't like, which is, that
>> running gvim requires to run Cygserver because something, gvim itself or
>> some library, is using SYSV shared memory.

> After doing some experimentation, it looks like this isn't a specific
> problem with gvim, but is common to gtk2 apps, e.g.:

> $ CYGWIN= gcolor2
> Bad system call

> $ gcolor2
> [runs]

>> I don't think that should be necessary, except in very trying cases like,
>> say, a database like postgresql.  So, whatever is using SYSV shared
>> memory in this scenario, it shouldn't.  The fact that I can start
>> gvim on local Xmingw server but not on a remote X server shows,
>> that SYSV shared memory can't be a necessity.

> Gerrit?

It is uploaded now, could you test, please?

Gerrit
=^..^=

On Dec 27 23:15, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Yaakov schrieb:
>
> >> So what we have here looks like something I don't like, which is, that
> >> running gvim requires to run Cygserver because something, gvim itself or
> >> some library, is using SYSV shared memory.
>
> > After doing some experimentation, it looks like this isn't a specific
> > problem with gvim, but is common to gtk2 apps, e.g.:
>
> > $ CYGWIN= gcolor2
> > Bad system call
>
> > $ gcolor2
> > [runs]
>
> >> I don't think that should be necessary, except in very trying cases like,
> >> say, a database like postgresql.  So, whatever is using SYSV shared
> >> memory in this scenario, it shouldn't.  The fact that I can start
> >> gvim on local Xmingw server but not on a remote X server shows,
> >> that SYSV shared memory can't be a necessity.
>
> > Gerrit?
>

> It is uploaded now, could you test, please?

gvim works fine now w/o SYSV shared memory, even on my remote X terminal.
Thank you!

Re: [ITP] gvim-6.4

On Dec 22 14:38, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/gvim/gvim-6.4-1-src.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/gvim/gvim-6.4-1.tar.bz2
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/gvim/setup.hint

I've uploaded gvim now.

Yaakov schrieb:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> It is uploaded now, could you test, please?

> WFM.  OT, but does this include the gdk-pixbuf security fix as well?

Yes.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=