[ITP] gmp-4.2 and mpfr-2.2

Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS)
The current cygwin version of gmp is 4.1.4.  This also contains an old version
of mpfr.  The latest version of gmp is 4.2.  It no longer contains it own
vestion of mpfr.

I have packaged gmp-4.2 and mpfr-2.2.0.  The current gmp maintainer Lapo Luchini
is happy for me to offer these for review and take over as maintainer if
they are acceptable.

As gfortran - the fortran compiler in gcc-4 - uses libgmp3 and libmpfr, it
seems sensible to break the monolithic packages into

The new cyggmp3.dll is suposed to be binary compatible with the current release,
and limited testing confirms this.

The new cygmpfr1.dll is not binary compatible with the current cygmpfr0.dll.
How should this be managed?  Should I provide a libmpfr0 package that just
contains the existing cygmpfr0.dll?

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/gmp-4.2-1-src.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/gmp-4.2-1.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/setup.hint

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/libgmp-devel/libgmp-devel-4.2-1.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/libgmp-devel/setup.hint

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/libgmp3/libgmp3-4.2-1.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/gmp/libgmp3/setup.hint

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/mpfr-2.2.0-1-src.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/mpfr-2.2.0-1.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/setup.hint

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/libmfpr-devel/libmfpr-devel-2.2.0-1.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/libmfpr-devel/setup.hint

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/libmfpr1/libmfpr1-2.2.0-1.tar.bz2
http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/libmfpr1/setup.hint

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
This notice should not be removed.

Re: [ITP] gmp-4.2 and mpfr-2.2

Charles Wilson-2
Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS) wrote:

> I have packaged gmp-4.2 and mpfr-2.2.0.  The current gmp maintainer Lapo Luchini
> is happy for me to offer these for review and take over as maintainer if
> they are acceptable.

Thanks for doing this.

> The new cygmpfr1.dll is not binary compatible with the current cygmpfr0.dll.
> How should this be managed?  Should I provide a libmpfr0 package that just
> contains the existing cygmpfr0.dll?

Yes.  What I would suggest is the following:

Get the current gmp-4.1.4-2 binary package.
Unpack usr/bin/cygmpfr-0.dll from it.
Package that file into libmpfr0-4.1.4-3.tar.bz2

Get the currrent gmp-4.1.4-2-src source package
Rename it libmpfr0-4.1.4-3-src.

And there you have it.  Sure, downloading and unpacking
"libmpfr0-4.1.4-3-src" and following its build instructions won't get
you the exact package libmpfr0-4.1.4-3.tar.bz2 -- but it WILL get you
the exact cygmpfr-0.dll -- and that's all that's truly necessary in this
case.

Anyway, that's the procedure I use whenever I "bump" a DLL number but
have to keep the old dll in the distribution (and guarantee that the
source used to create THAT dll is also kept in the distribution,
maintaining GPL happiness).

--
Chuck

RE: [ITP] gmp-4.2 and mpfr-2.2

Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS)
> From:  Charles Wilson
>
> Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS) wrote:
>
> > The new cygmpfr1.dll is not binary compatible with the current cygmpfr0.dll.
> > How should this be managed?  Should I provide a libmpfr0 package that just
> > contains the existing cygmpfr0.dll?
>
> Yes.  What I would suggest is the following:
>
> Get the current gmp-4.1.4-2 binary package.
> Unpack usr/bin/cygmpfr-0.dll from it.
> Package that file into libmpfr0-4.1.4-3.tar.bz2
>
> Get the currrent gmp-4.1.4-2-src source package
> Rename it libmpfr0-4.1.4-3-src.
>
> And there you have it.  Sure, downloading and unpacking
> "libmpfr0-4.1.4-3-src" and following its build instructions won't get
> you the exact package libmpfr0-4.1.4-3.tar.bz2 -- but it WILL get you
> the exact cygmpfr-0.dll -- and that's all that's truly
> necessary in this
> case.

Done.

http://billinghurst.customer.netspace.net.au/cygwin/mpfr/libmpfr0/libmpfr0-4.1.4-3.tar.bz2