[ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

[ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

Jari Aalto-5

Here is one package more for review. Exists in Debian.

  http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/geoip-bin
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/geoip/

Jari

sdesc: "IP lookup command line tools that use the GeoIP library."
ldesc: "GeoIP is a C library that enables the user to find the country
that any IP address or hostname originates from. It uses a file based
database that is accurate as of March 2002. This database simply
contains IP blocks as keys, and countries as values. This database
should be more complete and accurate than using reverse DNS lookups.
This package contains the command line utilities to resolve the IP
numbers using the GeoIP library."
category: Net
requires: cygwin libz

1) Method 1

  wget --no-verbose        \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2.sig \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2 \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2

2) Method 2 - will give further instructions

  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 955A92D8

  mkdir geoip ; cd geoip
  rm -f get.sh get.sh.sig
  wget -q http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/get.sh \
          http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/get.sh.sig
  gpg --verify get.sh.sig get.sh &&
  sh get.sh

Re: [ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

Lapo Luchini-2
Jari Aalto (Cygwin-wnpp#20060203T1842) wrote:
> Here is one package more for review. Exists in Debian.
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/geoip-bin
>   http://freshmeat.net/projects/geoip/

Niiiiiiiiiiice, +1 from me.
Ah, ok, no votes needed, then a review will do.
Expect it withing a few minutes...
>   wget --no-verbose        \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2

Connection refused.
(removing the --no-verbose... else, nothing ^_^)

    Lapo

Lapo Luchini <[hidden email]> writes:

   wget --no-verbose        \
     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint \
     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2.sig \
     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2 \
     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2

> Connection refused.
> (removing the --no-verbose... else, nothing ^_^)

Time for reboot this w2k -- GDI and other resources seem to be full,
try now.

Jari

Jari Aalto wrote:
> Time for reboot this w2k -- GDI and other resources seem to be full,
> try now.

Yup, succesful.

Remarks from tar inspection:
- binary package contains both GeoIP.conf.default and GeoIP.conf, so I
fear the actual configuration file would be deinstalled/reinstalled upon
a reinstall
- no shared libraries? (this is not a problem, just a question)

Remarks on package building:
(I'm not used to this cygbuild thing, so I may have done somethnig wrong...)
- it seems to build good
- install says:
./geoip-1.3.8-1.sh.CygbuildInstallCygwinPartMain: [ERROR] Missing file:
/home/lapo/packaging/tmp/getip/geoip-1.3.8/.inst/usr/share/doc/Cygwin
./geoip-1.3.8-1.sh.CygbuildCommandMain: [FATAL] status is 1.

    Lapo

Re: [ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
Jari Aalto wrote:
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2

Is there a reason why you're specifically packaging such an old version?
  I know that 1.3.8 is in Debian stable, but 1.3.14 is in Debian
testing, 1.3.10 in Ubuntu breezy,

Can we please get (yet another) clarification on this policy:
Does a packages presence in some distribution's stable repo (for which a
Cygwin package would be exempt from voting) also limit the package
*version* to whatever is found stable there?  Or once the package itself
is found to be in stable, indicating that it's a mainstream package, is
the choice of which version to package at the (potential) packager's
discretion?

Package issues:

1) Shared libraries are not built due to a lack of '-no-undefined' in
LDFLAGS.  Patch libGeoIP/Makefile.am as follows (from 1.3.14):

-libGeoIP_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info @GEOIP_VERSION_INFO@
+libGeoIP_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info @GEOIP_VERSION_INFO@ -no-undefined

-libGeoIPUpdate_la_LIBADD = -lz
+libGeoIPUpdate_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined
+libGeoIPUpdate_la_LIBADD = libGeoIP.la -lz

Then run autoreconf before configure, and shared libraries will be built
as well.

With 1.3.8, it's a little trickier; the following line needs to be added
to libGeoIP/Makefile.am as well:

+libGeoIPBitReader_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined

and you need to force the use of autoconf-2.5x instead of that version's
default of 2.13.

2) The CYGWIN-PATCHES directory is extracted under geoip-1.3.8-orig, not
geoip-1.3.8, causing the install step to bail out.

"Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports)" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Jari Aalto wrote:
>
>>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint \
>>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2.sig \
>>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1.tar.bz2 \
>>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
>>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.8-1-src.tar.bz2
>
> Is there a reason why you're specifically packaging such an old
> version? I know that 1.3.8 is in Debian stable, but 1.3.14 is in
> Debian testing, 1.3.10 in Ubuntu breezy,

No reason. It was the version I originally packaged long time ago.
Updated to the latest now.

> Package issues:
>
> 1) Shared libraries are not built due to a lack of '-no-undefined' in
> LDFLAGS.  Patch libGeoIP/Makefile.am as follows (from 1.3.14):
>
> -libGeoIP_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info @GEOIP_VERSION_INFO@
> +libGeoIP_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info @GEOIP_VERSION_INFO@ -no-undefined
>
> -libGeoIPUpdate_la_LIBADD = -lz
> +libGeoIPUpdate_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined
> +libGeoIPUpdate_la_LIBADD = libGeoIP.la -lz
>
> Then run autoreconf before configure, and shared libraries will be
> built as well.

Thank you, now included.

> 2) The CYGWIN-PATCHES directory is extracted under geoip-1.3.8-orig,
> not geoip-1.3.8, causing the install step to bail out.

This was bug in cygbuild, Fixed. New version is out for review

Jari

Method 1)

  wget        \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2.sig \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2 \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1-src.tar.bz2 \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint

Method 2) get.sh will print further instuctions

Jari Aalto wrote:
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1-src.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint

Well, I tried to build this from source with the 'all' command, but no
packages were created!

-- Making package [binary]
/home/Yaakov/tmp/geoip-1.3.14/.sinst/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2
./geoip-1.3.14-1.sh: line 1239: type: cygbuild.pl: not found
-- [WARN] Can't make source package.  Additional libraries and template
are needed to manage source builds. The full suite is available from
CVS. See http://cygbuild.sourceforge.net/
-- [finish] Removing /home/Yaakov/tmp/geoip-1.3.14
./geoip-1.3.14-1.sh: line 1239: type: cygbuild.pl: not found
-- [WARN] Can't make source package.  Additional libraries and template
are needed to manage source builds. The full suite is available from
CVS. See http://cygbuild.sourceforge.net/
-- Done.

Neither a binary package nor a new source package were created; all
that's there are the exact files which I unpacked from your source package.

Being that your cygbuild is not part of the Cygwin distribution, and
hence cannot be built OOTB, AFAICS this source package is *invalid*.

Re: [ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

Jari Aalto-5
"Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports)" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Jari Aalto wrote:
>
> Well, I tried to build this from source with the 'all' command, but no
> packages were created!
>
> -- Making package [binary]
> /home/Yaakov/tmp/geoip-1.3.14/.sinst/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2
> ./geoip-1.3.14-1.sh: line 1239: type: cygbuild.pl: not found
> -- [WARN] Can't make source package.  Additional libraries and
> template are needed to manage source builds.
> -- Done.
>
> Neither a binary package nor a new source package were created;

Thanks,

This was a bug in packaging process. Updated. Try now.

Jari

1) manual download

  wget        \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2.sig \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1.tar.bz2 \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1-src.tar.bz2.sig \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/geoip-1.3.14-1-src.tar.bz2 \
    http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/setup.hint

2) automated; get.sh will print further instructions

  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 955A92D8

  mkdir geoip ; cd geoip
  rm -f get.sh get.sh.sig
  wget -q http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/get.sh \
          http://cygwin.cante.net/geoip/get.sh.sig
  gpg --verify get.sh.sig get.sh &&
  sh get.sh

Re: [ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

Jari Aalto-5
Lapo Luchini <[hidden email]> writes:

> Remarks from tar inspection:
> - binary package contains both GeoIP.conf.default and GeoIP.conf, so I
> fear the actual configuration file would be deinstalled/reinstalled upon
> a reinstall

Good point. Now taken cared of.

> - no shared libraries? (this is not a problem, just a question)

Is there instaructions somewhere what must be done for libtool to make
it produce dll's?

> (I'm not used to this cygbuild thing, so I may have done somethnig wrong...)
> - it seems to build good
> - install says:
> ./geoip-1.3.8-1.sh.CygbuildInstallCygwinPartMain: [ERROR] Missing file:
> /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/getip/geoip-1.3.8/.inst/usr/share/doc/Cygwin
> ./geoip-1.3.8-1.sh.CygbuildCommandMain: [FATAL] status is 1.

The command "all" does not try to produce a working copy that could be
"installed live". It only verifies the build system. The "all" runs
lastly command "finish" which removes build dirs and temporary files.

Note:

    ./*sh -h

    To see results of source compilation, the CMD steps must to be run
    one by one are:

        $ ./foo-N.N-RELEASE.sh -v prep conf make install
        $ cd foo-N.N/
        $ find .inst/

Update now available; the /etc install is now handled better.

Jari

[GTG] Re: [ITP] geoip -- IP lookup command line tools to show country information

Dr. Volker Zell

    >     To see results of source compilation, the CMD steps must to be run
    >     one by one are:

    >         $ ./foo-N.N-RELEASE.sh -v prep conf make install
    >         $ cd foo-N.N/
    >         $ find .inst/

    > Update now available; the /etc install is now handled better.

GTG. This compiles fine from source now. Packaging looks good.

    > Jari

Ciao
  Volker

On Feb 14 10:30, Jari Aalto wrote: