Quantcast

[ITP] cygscript

Joni Eskelinen
Dear maintainers,

Cygscript is an utility program allowing to register file types to be
executed in Cygwin when double clicked from File Explorer or when a file
is dragged and dropped to a registered file type.

Any file type can be registered. Scripts are executed with bash in
MinTTY terminal. Windows paths passed as arguments (eg. when dragged and
dropped) are automatically detected and translated to POSIX paths.
Please see the github page for further details.

This application is not included in any other distro, so i reckon a vote
must be first passed.

I am the sole developer and maintainer of the project at the moment.

The source is released under MIT License.

Homepage:
https://github.com/sop/cygscript

Packages:
http://eske.fi/cygscript/

# cygscript-1.0.2-1.hint
category: Utils
requires: cygwin libgcc1 libstdc++6 mintty bash
sdesc: "Run shell scripts from Windows File Explorer"
ldesc: "A helper program allowing to register an extension (eg. .sh)
to be executed in Cygwin by double-clicking a file from Windows File
Explorer
or by dragging and dropping files to an icon of a registered extension."

Thanks,
  Joni

Re: [ITP] cygscript

Jon TURNEY
On 30/03/2017 06:54, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> Cygscript is an utility program allowing to register file types to be
> executed in Cygwin when double clicked from File Explorer or when a file
> is dragged and dropped to a registered file type.
>
> Any file type can be registered. Scripts are executed with bash in
> MinTTY terminal. Windows paths passed as arguments (eg. when dragged and
> dropped) are automatically detected and translated to POSIX paths.

Thank you for your patience and sorry about the delay.

Nice work.  I'm kind of surprised we don't have something like this already.

How attached are you to the name?  I know this is not a concept which
lends itself easily to a short name, but perhaps something which makes
the purpose a little more obvious is possible?

> Please see the github page for further details.

It would be nice if there was a manpage included in the package.

> This application is not included in any other distro, so i reckon a vote
> must be first passed.

+1

On 19.4.2017 20.00, Jon Turney wrote:

> On 30/03/2017 06:54, Joni Eskelinen wrote:
>> Dear maintainers,
>>
>> Cygscript is an utility program allowing to register file types to be
>> executed in Cygwin when double clicked from File Explorer or when a file
>> is dragged and dropped to a registered file type.
>>
>> Any file type can be registered. Scripts are executed with bash in
>> MinTTY terminal. Windows paths passed as arguments (eg. when dragged and
>> dropped) are automatically detected and translated to POSIX paths.
>
> Thank you for your patience and sorry about the delay.
>
> Nice work.  I'm kind of surprised we don't have something like this
> already.

Thanks! I'm surprised too, since there's a lot of kinda hackish Windows
batch file solutions that are not generic nor easy to install.
TBH i'd rather see this feature implemented as a part of MinTTY.

> How attached are you to the name?  I know this is not a concept which
> lends itself easily to a short name, but perhaps something which makes
> the purpose a little more obvious is possible?

I settled on cygscript after a few iterations, but it's trivial to
change at this point. It's hard to come up with something that is not
bulky. Although this not a command one has to type often, so it wouldn't
matter if it had a longer name. I'd gladly hear suggestions.

>> Please see the github page for further details.
>
> It would be nice if there was a manpage included in the package.

I'll write and bundle a manpage in the near future.