[ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Stefan Köpsell
Hello,

I am interested in becoming a package maintainer for the Mini-XML library
(http://michaelrsweet.github.io/mxml/).

Mini-XML is a small XML parsing library  that you can use to read XML and
XML-like data files in your application without requiring large non-standard
libraries.

The Mini-XML library is part of many Linux distributions like:

Debian - https://packages.debian.org/de/stretch/libmxml-dev
Fedora - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/rpms/mxml/
Suse - https://software.opensuse.org/package/mxml
Arch - https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/mxml/
Gentoo - https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-libs/mini-xml

I have tried to make a first package and uploaded it here:
https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/libmxml-dev/

I would be thankful for any hints regarding issues / quality improvements
with this package.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Stefan Köpsell

Re: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Yaakov Selkowitz
On 2017-12-22 12:49, Stefan Köpsell wrote:
> I am interested in becoming a package maintainer for the Mini-XML library
> (http://michaelrsweet.github.io/mxml/).
>
> Mini-XML is a small XML parsing library  that you can use to read XML and
> XML-like data files in your application without requiring large non-standard
> libraries.

Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself is
of little use.

> I have tried to make a first package and uploaded it here:
> https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/libmxml-dev/
>
> I would be thankful for any hints regarding issues / quality improvements
> with this package.

Several problems:

* The source package (NAME) should be name mxml;
* A shared library should be created (pass --enable-shared to cygconf);
* Static libraries are not generally desired;
* There should be 2-3 subpackages, mxml with any program/utilties,
libmxml1 with the runtime library, and libmxml-devel (not -dev) with the
headers, import library, etc.

AW: [ITP] Mini-XML (mxml)

Stefan Köpsell
Hello,

thanks for your advice.

> Do you plan on ITPing something which uses this?  A library by itself is of little use.
Hm, not at the moment. But several of our projects depend on the library - and it makes contributing more easy, if the library is available as Cygwin package.

>Several problems:

>* The source package (NAME) should be name mxml;
>* A shared library should be created (pass --enable-shared to cygconf);
>* Static libraries are not generally desired;
>* There should be 2-3 subpackages, mxml with any program/utilties,
>ibmxml1 with the runtime library, and libmxml-devel (not -dev) with the headers, import library, etc.

There a now two packages: one containing the shared library and the other containing the development files
See: https://sk13.xyz:45443/cygwin/x86/

Sincerely,
Stefan